25 days later... I GOT MY FIRST MASTERED RADICALS!

I know that mastering radicals is not much but I feel so accomplished reaching this stage. So I thought of sharing this here! For those just starting out PERSEVERE 友達!

32 Likes

fired up

Way to go @Monsi_boy2! Always always celebrate your victories, however small they may be!
:fire::durtle::crabigator:

8 Likes

Congrats! You’ve got this!! :grinning:

5 Likes

Keep at it and soon you’ll reach kanji enlightenment! :+1:

9 Likes

Excellent! Keep it up!! I agree with @inspectatoro, you should be proud of every step!
I also started mastering items a few weeks ago… Just a tip: Don’t panic if you start failing some more items now :sweat_smile:. Maybe you will do better than me, but I struggled mastering vocab.

4 Likes

Congo!Keep up the good work!! Onwards and upwards!

1 Like

Wow, so much mastered…

Good luck with your studies mate.

2 Likes

Even now whenever get a tranche of items up to the next level I feel motivated. So good on you, OP!

2 Likes

It will get better, you just have to trust the system. Once you have some more kanji under your belt, you will actually start being able to guess vocab meanings and readings before you actually get to their respective page during lessons.
:nerd_face:
So stay the course compañero!
:wink:

5 Likes

Thanks! I will sure do!

1 Like

Same here! My vocab has the biggest wrong percentage hahahha especially differentiating the transitive to its intransitive counterpart! Looks like we’ll be climbing the Levels together!

1 Like

Just love seeing that green box with an upwards arrow!

Congratulations

The next step is the first Enlightened item. I remember how frustrated I was that it took a whole month from Master to Enlighten. When I got there it was an intense satisfaction. I hope you will feel that joy as well.

2 Likes

On that note, if anyone has a good mnemonic for distinguishing 上げる and 上がる, I’d be very interested. I keep screwing these up (as well as their 下〜 counterparts).

Reminds me of that time I was happy to have my first Burned item. Then the reviews started happening for real.

1 Like

I got you bruv! See the thread below:

1 Like

When you have pairs of verbs like that, where the only change is the vowel from a to e, the “a” verb is intransitive, but the “e” verb is transitive, meaning there is some movement (real or imagined) toward an object, like the thing you raise.

Here’s a mnemonic: when you make the “a” sound, your tongue is kinda pulled back, but for “e,” you lift your tongue up some almost as though your’re pointing at an object. This mimics the transitive and intransitive nature of these verb pairs.

2 Likes

For that particular pair and its counter parts 下. I just imagine げ like two people whereas there is a receiver of the action as in 上げる= to raise SOMETHING 下げる= to lower SOMETHING. As for 上がる and 下がる I just imagine が as one buff dude doing all the work. Hope it helps.

This one is interesting, does this apply to all/most pairs? Planning to use this mnemonic hahaha

1 Like

I feel pain as my brain reconfigures with each mistake. But I trust this is the way.

1 Like