10分で読める物語 二年生 Stories 4 (お月よ) & 5 (パンのかけらと小さなあくま)

I added the link to the homethread. I accidently broke some informatikn in the thread. Have to fix this later on pc

1 Like

Page 61

Again, not too difficult. I have just one question, about いられなく なって in the penultimate sentence.

ぬまに 生えて いる 大きな 木を、 かたっぱしから 引っこぬきました。

He extracted a big tree that was growing in the bog.

あっというまに、 ぬまの 水を のみほしました。

In the blink of an eye he drained the bog.

地面を たいらに たがやしました。

He tilled the soil until it was smooth (lit. ‘to flatness’).

はたけに 麦を まきました。

He sowed wheat in the field.

ただ ただ おどろいて いた きこりも、 じっと して いられなく なって、 いっしょに 麦を まきました。

The lumberjack was absolutely surprised, and he was no longer standing still, (but) he sowed barley together (with the devil).

Notes

いられなく なって
いる + られる + なくなる. The なくなる is used to indicate it’s no longer the case. The られる is passive-ish… Not sure how that works here.

麦は ぐんぐん のびて、 みごとな ほを つけました。

The barley grew rapidly and produced splendid ears.

2 Likes

Page 62

I had some difficulties with this page. I don’t know how the two parts of the first sentence fit together, because I am not sure exactly what’s going on with 見わたすかぎり. I also have no idea what to make of かり入れだ in the fourth sentence. I think the lumberjack wants to start harvesting, but how does the grammar work….?

見わたすかぎり、 金色に かがやく 麦ばたけが 広がりました。

He looked out as far as possible // the wheat field that sparkled due to the golden colour stretched out,

小さな あくまは、 とびはねて よろこびました。

The little devil jumped up and down and was delighted.

きこりは、 なみだを ながして よろこびました。

The lumberjack shed a tear and was delighted.

「さあ、 今度は かり入れだ!」

“Come one, this time [let’s harvest?]!”

きこりと 小さな あくまは、 はりきって しごとに とりかかろうと しました。

The lumberjack and the little devil were in high spirits and tried to start the work.

Grammar

とりかかろうとしました
Volitional + とする -> make an attempt

ところが その とき、 地主が 作男たちを 引きつれて、 馬車で のりつけました。

However, at that moment the landowner, accompanied by farm workers, drove up in a carriage.

2 Likes

見わたすかぎり seems to mean “as far as he can see”.
So the whole sentence would be: "As far as he can see, the golden wheat field stretched out. "

I made some reverse engineering in Google Translate to find out! I looked at the possible translations for harvest and found this:
かり入れ = 刈り入れ = harvest
So you were right!

I found this page and the following pages (as I tried to finish the story without looking at a dictionary, without success) more difficult. Thanks for posting everyday and keeping me motivated!

1 Like

Thanks for helping me out there, it feels really good to understand a page 100% :sunglasses:

Page 64

Seemingly an easy page, I hope I got the plot right.

ぬまが みごとな 麦ばたけに なったと いう うわさを 聞いて、 大いそぎで かけつけて きたのです。

She had heard a rumour that the bog had become a splendid wheat field, (so) she came running in a great rush.

うわさどおりの 麦ばたけを 見ると、 地主は 言いました。

When she saw the wheat field of the rumour that appears to be quite true, the landowner said:

「きこり、 ぬまを 麦ばたけにして よいと 言ったが、 おまえに やるとは 言わなかったぞ。

“Lumberjack, I said that it was fine to turn the bog into a wheat field, but I didn’t say for you to do it.

これは、 みな わしの ものだ。」

All of this here belongs to me”.

そして、 「さあ、 ぐずぐずするな。

And then (she said): “Come now, don’t grumble.

しごとに かかれ。」

Start the work.”

2 Likes

Whoops, DIYing got me a bit behind schedule!

Page 65

と、 作男たちを せきたて、 麦を 一本 のこらず かりとらせると、 馬車に つみあげ、 いきようようと 引きあげて いきました。

She urged on the farm hands to harvest the wheat entirely and after they piled it up in the cart, she went and left triumphantly.

Notes

I believe the first is a way to end the preceding direct speech. The second is to denote 麦を 一本 のこらず かりとらせる as indirect speech introduced by せきたて.

I suspect 一本 denotes a single-minded focus (in a way I don’t quite know how to translate).

I am not sure why かりとらせる is a causative, when surely かりとる would’ve done…?

小さな あくまと きこりは、 おいおい なきました。

The little devil and the lumberjack howled ‘whoa!’.

けれども、 小さな あくまは、 すぐに 元気を とりもどしました。

However, the little devil immediately regained his spirits.

「きこりさん、 このまま こうさんして なるものか。

“Mr. Lumberjack, surely we don’t surrender like this!

ぜったいに とりもどして くるよ。」

We are coming to get it back!”

小さな あくまは、 地主の やしきに 出かけて いきました。

The little devil left and went to the residence of the landowner.

1 Like

Hi!

My translation is a bit different, I took the second meaning of おいおい :
The little devil and the lumberjack cried (their hearts out).

1 Like

That does make more sense with the next sentence being about ‘regaining’ their spirit :grin:

Page 66

I couldn’t make heads or tails of せめて たった ひとたばで いいから in the second line nor of 細工は りゅうりゅう、 しあげを ごろうじろ in the last line :confused:

「地主さま、 これじゃ きこりさんが かわいそうだ。

Ms. Landowner, this is a pitiable lumberjack.

せめて たった ひとたばで いいから、 麦を 分けて やって くれませんか。」

[halp!], will you not let him have a share in the wheat?”

地主は、 やせっぽちの 小さな あくまの かなしそうな 顔を 見て、 わらいだしました。

The landowner, seeing the miserable face of the scrawny little devil, burst into laughter.

「まあ、 よかろう。 ひとたばぐらいは くれて やる。」

“Well, that would be fine. I’ll let you have about a bundle”.

小さな あくまは、 きこりの ところへ とんで かえりました。

The little devil jumped up and returned to the lumberjack’s place.

「さ、 きこりさん。 細工は りゅうりゅう、 しあげを ごろうじろ。

“Come on, Mr. Lumberjack. [halp!]

I am not able to fully understand these two sentences, but I will try to help

For で いい, I found this: http://maggiesensei.com/2014/05/20/〜でいい-〜でもいい vs 〜がいい-de-ii-demo-ii-vs-ga-ii/

I have difficulty to understand why there is both せめて (at most) and たった (no more than).

Here is my draft translation:
“As only one bundle is fine, could you offer us a share in the wheat?”
or
“As no more than one bundle is fine, …”

The translation for しあげを ごろうじろ is on the next page. It seems to mean “Look at the finish”.

For りゅうりゅう, there are too many possibilities on jisho.org, but here is my draft translation:
“Come one, Mr. Lumberjack. Our work will be prosperous, look at the finish.”

Thanks for the help @anna_harumaki! Based on the contents of page 67, I think ‘trick’ might be a better translation for 細工.

Page 67

長い 長い なわを 作りましょう。」

Let’s make a long, long rope.”

小さな あくまと きこりは 長い 長い、 とてつもなく 長い なわを よりました。

The little devil and the lumberjack twisted a long, an absurdly long, rope.

その なわを かついで、 小さな あくまは じぬしの やしきへ でかけました。

Carrying the rope on his shoulder, the little devil left for the landowner’s house.

さて、 じぬしの やしきに やって きた 小さな あくまは、 麦の しまって ある なやの 前に、 長い 長い なわを ひろげました。

Then, when the little devil came to the landowners house, he unrolled the long, long rope in front of the barn where the wheat was stored.

そして、 なやに あるだけの 麦を ひとたばに まとめました。

And then, he collected all the wheat that there was into (a single) bundle.

This line of trickery reminds me a lot of Dido buying up land to found Carthage.

Dido bartered with the locals, offering a substantial amount of wealth in exchange for what she could contain within the skin of a bull. After they had agreed to what seemed an exchange greatly to their advantage, Dido showed how clever she really was. She cut the hide into strips and laid it out in a semi-circle around a strategically placed hill with the sea forming the other side. There, Dido founded the city of Carthage and ruled it as queen.

1 Like

Sorry for intruding but I was kinda curious about this sentence also so I found that someone on Hi Native was asking about this very same phrase and a native speaker said it was an idiomatic expression (これは慣用句です) and then gave his/her own thoughts about the figurative meaning of it since it isn’t meant to be taken literally.

There’s another shorter “translation” of this phrase in English given here (which I think is also the figurative meaning and not a literal translation.)

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Great sleuthing! That makes a lot more sense. I guess the little devil is very proud of his cunning plan.

1 Like

Man, I really wish this book used more kanji. とる can mean a million things. The third sentence proved impossible for me.

Page 68

それを 見て、 地主は びっくりぎょうてん。

Seeing this, the landowner was astonished.

やっとの ことで さけびました。

At last she shouted:

「みんな、 何を ぼやぼやしとる。

Everyone, [help!]

牛小屋を あけろ!

Open the stable!

お牛どもを あいつに かからせろ!」

Have the cows come for him!”

めしつかいも 作男も、 牛小屋へ とんで いって、 戸を あけました。

Both the servants and farm hands were leaping to the stable and opened the doors.

お牛たちは おそろしい うなり声を あげ、 角を ふりたてて、 小さな あくまに おそいかかりました。

The cows let go a terrifying roar, waved their horns and attacked the little devil.

「あわれな ちびめ。」

“Pathetic pipsqueak.”

地主は、 にやりと わらいました。

The landowner smiled sneeringly.

1 Like

I’m very proud of all of you! I hope I can join you soon!

I have some time today, so I’ll help :slight_smile:

Page 70

ところが どうでしょう!

But see what happened! / But what about it! (??)

Notes

Need some help on this one, it seems idiomatic, but I wasn’t able to found the translation

小さな あくまは、とびかかって くる お牛たちを ひょいひょいと つかまえて、なやいっぱいの 麦を のせ、さっさと 帰って いったのです。

The little devil threw himself upon the cows, caught them with agility, load a lot of wheat and immediately returned home.

それを 見て、地主は ひっくりかえって しんで しまいました。

Seeing that, the landowner fell down and died.

きこりの ところへ もどって きた、小さな あくまは、言いました。

The little devil went back to the lumberjack’s place and said:

”さあ どうぞ。麦に お牛の おまけが ついた。”

Here you go, you have cows in bonus of the wheat!

2 Likes

Let’s finish the story!

Page 71

”きこりさん、みんな あんたの ものですよ。”

Mr. Lumberjack, all of this is yours.

思いがけなく ものもちに なった きこりは、なみだを こぼして よろこびました。

The lumberjack, who became rich unexpectedly, dropped some tears and was pleased.

”いったい、 なんと おれいを したら よいか。”

How should I thank you?

”とんでもない、 きこりさん。 それより 教えて ください。

No need to, Mr. Lumberjack. But tell me:

これで、ぼくが あなたの だいじな パンを ぬすんだの、 ゆるして もらえますか。"

Can you forgive me for stealing your important piece of bread?

小さな あくまは、ききました。

The little devil asked.

”あたりまえだ。

Obviously.

おまえは パンも かえして くれて、そのうえ、こんな すばらしい おくりものを して くれた。

You gave the bread back to me and on top of this you made me this wonderful gift.

Page 72

ありがとう、ありがとう。”

Thank you, Thank you."

きこりの ことばを 聞くと、 小さな あくまは うれしそうに わらいました。

After listening to the lumberjack’s sentence, the little devil smiled and seemed happy.

”ああ、よかった。 これで うちへ 帰れます。

Well, that was good / I’m happy. Now I can return back home.

それじゃ、元気でね。 きこりさん。”

Well, take care Mr. Lumberjack.

3 Likes

Apologies for not being here for the conversation, but you’ve done a pretty good job at translating this without me. That said, there’s one bit that still had you confused: the 地主のだんな.

This form of AのB is not “B’s A” but rather “the B who is A”. It perhaps becomes a bit clearer if I reword it with common vocabulary: 先生の男 = the man who is a teacher.

だんな is also a word used to refer to any man who is of high status. So 地主のだんな = the man who is a landowner.

You missed a line here. It’s これで、ぼくが あなたの だいじな パンを ぬすんだの、 ゆるして もらえますか。May I have forgiveness for stealing your important piece of bread?

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! I edited my post with the additional line :wink:

2 Likes