魔女の宅急便・Kiki's Delivery Service 🧧 Repeat Club

Ooooh. As a OneNote addict this looks very intriguing, thank you!

4 Likes

Oh noooo I thought I’d finally settled on Evernote forever but this is SO pretty and now I have to transfer everything immediately :sob:

6 Likes

Yeah this also got me excited. Especially when I see they have an API in the works. I’m giving this a look. Thanks!

3 Likes

For なぜ?どうして? we’re going off one set of page numbers, so if you have the other version you just subtract 8. But I don’t know how well the pages tally between versions with Kiki. I also don’t know whether it’s been difficult for people, as I have the ebook.

I’ll have a look tomorrow and maybe have a go at collating some discussions of the first page or 2. The main reason of thought of it was seeing how I wasn’t the only one struggling with those! And there’s a lot of good discussion in the old thread.

2 Likes

For Kiki, it’s not that simple. You can have a look at the vocab sheet; the first 3 chapters have both page numbers. The main issue is that the picture version sometimes has, well, pictures :slight_smile: These of course take up space and thus the text gets shifted. Sometimes the pictures take a full page or even a double page, so that looks like it should give a regular shift, but still the text does not match exactly. The page sizes are different, the font is different (and slightly smaller) for the smaller book, but it’s not an exact match. And for the smaller pictures, of course all bets are off.

Edit: This is the first page for v1 and v2:

7 Likes

O my God I love it! Can you share the template in some way?

2 Likes

I’ll see if I can clean it up, and I can have a template in maybe a couple days. I have scanned pages and audiobook clips in there that I don’t think I should share for copyright reasons and whatever. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh I didn’t know it extends that far! I guess that’s what’s in the ‘databases’ part? I’d be really interested to see how it all ties together and how you use the different databases. Do you take notes within Notion? I’ve been taking pictures of all the pages in my books, turning those into a pdf and then adding annotations to the pdf in PDF Expert.

1 Like

Mhmm! I use the databases to link the Chapters > Pages > Sentences > Vocab & Grammar. It’s mostly automated and linked, so when I work on a sentence I just have to mark the page/chapter it’s on and then it’ll keep track of the vocab/grammar in that page/chapter. The vocab database exports easily to Anki too. :grin:

9 Likes

That sounds like a work of art :heart:

6 Likes

Time to start numbering paragraphs. (Just kidding.)

With the Sailormoon club, although I did come up with a usable notation, it’s really a bit clunky, because each person will put the numbers for their version, and if you have a different version, you can’t use it. At this point, I think page numbers become fairly useless (and for an e-novel, it locks out e-book readers from having something specific to put down).

For searching instead for a sentence, you then get whether the sentence has been keyed with or without furigana. Since the book doesn’t have furigana, it may even be best to not include helpful furigana on posts, because that makes it harder to search for.

I have no solutions.

7 Likes

It didn’t quite take as long as I thought, here’s the template. There’s more I want to add before I’m completely satisfied. I added a page explaining how I use it a little bit, though I think it might still be confusing if you aren’t familiar with Notion. It also may be a little daunting to add all of the pages if you don’t have some way of automating it. That being said, feel free to change it any way you want! :smile:

12 Likes

You’re awesome! Thanks for providing this! :slight_smile:

1 Like

O.M.G.!!
You guys are NUTS!! Like in a super-good way. I’m house @slither in! Good points made in those posts. I more and more don’t even want to look at the old thread at all. I’ve just got to get through a page every day of this book! Searching the text of questions may be better than page numbers (I agree with ChristopherFritz, better to skip the furigana, we can always see it in the spreadsheet; this is against grain for me, because I usually prefer to be able to know it without clicking off the page or I get cranky). @Krafty, I wish I could hire employees… You would be on.my.short-list! I just.cant.figure out yet, another app… I still gotta get the audiofiles. I’m grateful to those of you who worked that all out! I’ve barely made it through many of the Anki decks, but it’s really nice to have! You all are crazy awesome.

6 Likes

Hi folks,

I’ve seen the Ghibli movie just a few weeks ago, and I really loved the peaceful and light-hearted atmosphere! Discovering the original material would be really interesting.
I’ll definitely join this book club, hope to enjoy it with you all!

6 Likes

Me neither, so I can be fully surprised by the book! Might sneak in the movie at some point :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The movie is based on the series of books, so if you’ve seen the movie you will be familiar with some of the first book but not all. I assume parts of the movie which are not in this book come from a later volume.

2 Likes

Actually, novel sequels were written after the movie.

3 Likes

I think I will give it a shot (and then probably drop out after week 2 or 3 haha).

7 Likes

that’s the spirit :laughing:

4 Likes