結婚しても恋してる: Week 1 Discussion

Thanks for the input everyone. Looking up kanji should be a lot easier now. :sunglasses:

On page 11 the lower left panel, there’s two sentences: やっぱりなんでもない and なぜその可能性を.
In the vocab list, なんでも is listed as ‘anything’, but my interpretation is that it’s actually なんでもない as in ‘nevermind’?

The second sentence I don’t really grasp…
なぜ - why, how
その - that
可能性 - possibility
を - particle
so my guess would be “How’s that possible!?” But why the を at the end? The look of the bubble threw me off a bit here, too. But I’m fairly sure it’s what Shingo thinks about what she said before, and he’s a bit surprised thus the spiky bubble…

4 Likes

Funny that. The iOS version lets you pause as long as you like, and displays different guesses for your kanji which update as you draw more if the kanji.

1 Like

My interpretation is the same as yours; なんでもない would mean “never mind” or a bit more literally “oh no, it is nothing”.

The を at the end points to the fact that this is a half-finished sentence (because the rest of it is implied). So basically he’s saying:

“Why (did you pick / did you bring up) that possibility?”; he’s wondering why she came up with the possibility of he grabbing 宇水さん’s hand. So basically を is marking 可能性 as the direct object of the implied verb that we cannot see.

8 Likes

But just in case you’re ever offline and need to look something up in WaniKani on Android…

3 Likes

Very nice start. I was a bit surprised, when I read the first couple of pages when this manga came in the mail way back in early July, I did understand a thing here or there. Enough that I felt confident I could follow along. But now, only a month and a half later, I could read so much more of it without help (from vocab sheet or other things). Still needed help, but I can read more now. :3

撮れるかな story: 笑

Edit: I apparently missed two of the pages we were supposed to read this week, so I don’t know yet if the last story made me laugh, it was the photo story.

3 Likes

Thanks. It seems I never think of the possibility of a half-finished sentence. I had that happen in Chi’s Sweet Home, too.

I switched to this app now. Lots more features than the WK for Wanikani app. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Now back to the book. I just finished the chapter and have a couple of sentences with questions about.

Questions about upcoming pages, I’ve unknowingly read ahead, sorry. :S

On page 19: 今ので最後だったのなか I don’t really get this one at all.
今ので - now is
最後 - end
だった - was
の - particle
なか - relationship
So “this is the end of our relationship”? (If so, then why? Because he asks her to get married, so its like a new relationship?)

Page 21: もう… 遅いよバカ and と言ったのは花火にではなく 僕にだったらしい
If I got this correctly, もう is an expression of emotion and she said "too slow, stupid (fireworks)?

と言ったのは - quoting (probably the “too slow”?), though I’m not sure what the のは means here
花火 - fireworks
に - to/for?
ではなく - is not
僕に - I/me
だったらしい - だった past, らしい seeming?
This sentence is tough, but I assume it means something like “It seems not the firework was too slow but me”

On the next page, なにボーつとしてるの
I don’t get this at all
なに - what
ボー - bow tie?
つと - I have no clue
してる - wearing, would make sense if its about a bow tie
の - question ending particle

On the same page there’s あの日のことを思い出します
あの - that
日 - day(s)
の - particle
こと - event/thing?
を - particle
思い出します - to remember in formal past
I get the “I remember that day” part but I don’t see where こと fits or what it means.

Would be nice if somebody could help me there a bit. :slight_smile:

I have to say I really enjoyed the chapter. I had to look up a lot of stuff, but it was less frustrating than when I tackled the first chapter of Chi’s Sweet Home.
Also while typing all this, I realized I accidently read two pages of the second chapter they had a few tough long sentences, but I’ll keep the questions for the next thread (maybe I’ll understand more when I’ll reread them next week) Edit: Turns out I’ve already read ahead anyway, sorry!!

2 Likes

You’re reading ahead, there. Maybe hold on to those questions until we all reach that part of the book.

2 Likes

I might have misunderstood something, but I believe this week’s part ends on page 14, at the end of the section called 交際直後…

I believe you have a typo there at the end, it is だったのかな and not なか

I haven’t read that part yet so I am lacking a bit of context but this is how I’d split that sentence:

今の => that one
で => particle
最後 => last
だった => was
の => explanatory tone の
かな =>I wonder.

So basically “I wonder if that was the last one”.

もう can be used as an expression of annoyance. Jisho says “tsk; dammit; jeez; come on” as possible translations.

と言ったのは => here, のは is basically の being used as nominalizer, followed by the topic particle は (bunpro grammar point, wasabi explanation). So this is turning the phrase “と言った” (she said) into a noun that becomes the topic of the rest of the sentence.
花火 - fireworks
に - in this case it would be “to”, this indicate who she was talking to.

So basically you have the right idea “It seems what she said was about me, not the fireworks” as in he was slow in asking to marry her, not that a late firework was launched

Here the word being used is ぼっと, just that the character is pronouncing the ぼ sound longer. ぼっと means “absent mindedly, vacantly, blankly”. So basically this means “Why are you spacing out?”

4 Likes

Oof, I’m really sorry. I somehow completely missed that! I thought it was one whole chapter again. I’ll double check next time. I’ve put everything in spoiler just in case.

Oh, yeah. I even read it wrong the whole time. Makes a lot more sense now.

Aw, I’ve even had the nominalizer in the bunpro reviews today. Thanks for your help, you unlocked that sentence for me. :slight_smile: Much appreciated!

Also again sorry for reading ahead. It’s just not my day.

3 Likes

Page 14

これからメンタルきたえられそう。

I don’t quite understand what this sentence means, even like the gist of it.

これから after this
メンタル mental
きたえられ to forge; to temper​ OR to drill; to train; to discipline (more likely from what I understand), plus in some kind of passive/potential conjugation and maybe something more?
~そう looks like/seems like

And this is what I make of it, but it makes no sense to me:
After this, seems like I was drilled in mental capacity/training.

Or is it more like: After all, it seems this was a mental drill.

Help, please?

3 Likes

My attempts at the next few pages…

Page 7

#1 妻と結婚する前。

With my wife before we were married.

うちの会社におんな可愛い子が…

A cute girl at our company…

彼氏いるのかな

I wonder if she has a boyfriend

アレ

Huh?

いない

She’s not here

帰っちゃった!?

She’s (regrettably) gone home?!

と そのとき

When, at that moment…

えっ なに

Eh? What?

停電!?

Power cut?

…すぐつくだろ

I guess the lights will soon come back on

じっとしていよう…

I’ll just stay still

誰かの手!?

Someone’s hand!?

Page 8-10

グイッ

pull sfx

パッ

Suddenly turning in surprise sfx

あっ

Ah!

その隣の席の女の子は

The girl sat next to me.

5年経った今も僕の隣にいる。

Five years have passed and she’s still next to me.

Page 11

ルート分岐

Route divergence

ねぇ

Hey

ん?

What?

もしあのとき停電がなかったら…

Supposing that power cut never happened…

私たちこうなってなかったかもね

I wonder if we might not have ended up like this.

そうだね

That’s right

それかもし

Supposing…

引きよせた手が

the hand being pulled…

私じゃなく上司の宇水さんだったら

wasn’t me but was my boss Mr Umizu.

…… ううん

Well…

やっぱりなんでもない

Either way it’s nothing.

なぜその可能性を!?

Hey, why are you talking about that possibility!?

Page 12

撮れるかな

Can I take a photo

駅まで傘もっていくね

Bring a brolly to the station

わーメッセージに気づくの遅れた

Wah! I didn’t see that message in time!

いた!

She came!

少しつまらなそうに待つ姿が可愛くて

That slightly bored looking figure stood waiting looked cute!

こっそり写メ撮れるかなーって

I thought I could stealthily take a photo on my mobile

スマホかざしたら

I held up my smartphone

駅員ふたりに捕まった話する?

I was caught by the station staff. Should I tell that story?

6 Likes

How about - “after this it seems I am being mind trained”?

Or - This episode made me realise that now I am in a relationship I seem to be subject to some kind of creepy mental discipline exercises from my otherwise lovely girlfriend… :grin:

4 Likes

Hi everyone. Super absolute beginner here. I still need about 6 weeks to have an overview of the basic grammar, but I couldn’t resist joining the club. On the very first panel I struggle to understand the function of the last part of the first sentence: でのこと.

Could anybody please help me with that? By the way, I am mesmerised seeing so many people chiming in and helping each other. It is really inspiring and uplifting.

5 Likes

Hey there welcome! It’s hard to resist joining in isn’t it? We’re all here to enjoy the language and the grammar learning is such a slog…

The grammar is (I think):

で - meaning “at” (it happened “at” a のみかい - drinking party)

こと - kind of meaning “thing”

の - is a possessive particle that links the two together

So it’s a “happened at a drinking party” thing

3 Likes

Adding to @Micki’s response, I bolded above an important part.

From what I’ve seen (and others can chime in if they’ve commonly seen exceptions to this), when this conjugation is used for future events, it sends to be potential rather than passive. Since これから means “after this”, it signals to me that it’s potential.

There is the possibility that the narration is from the future looking back (thus passive), but the そう suggests the narration is happening “right now” (そう makes it sound uncertain, whereas a narrator looking back on the event would be very certain).

4 Likes

Thanks, @Micki and @ChristopherFritz. I feel like I understand the sentence better even if I don’t quite understand why he’d think that at that moment. But it made me realize that it might make more sense in the future when I know the characters better.

I’m only actually getting to learning passive today (so not knowing that didn’t help), but it will be helpful in the future to know that it is probably potential when talking about the future.

2 Likes

Here’s my take on it:

Haru set up Shingo meeting her parents. Not only that, he was being tested. He didn’t have to help out this old couple who asked him for directions. He could have said he was waiting for someone and blown them off, resulting in a bad impression to who would turn out to be Haru’s parents. Finding out this out totally stressed him out. He’ll need to steel his mind to survive this kind of ordeal in the future.

6 Likes

So I kinda get that.

More details, with a bit of spoiler of current pages

But if it had been me in that moment I would have thought about it more like mind trick/training just happened, rather than immediately jumping to that will probably happen in the future. That was why I thought I didn’t think I understood the sentence, because it made a mental leap I wouldn’t have quite yet. That is why I mentioned maybe I’ll understand better as I get to know the characters more.

Even just looking at the later half of the first story, when they are on the coach talking about what if it had been the boss’s arm he’d grabbed instead of hers. Even there I found his last thought a bit of a leap in a direction I wasn’t expecting.

2 Likes

@Micki Thanks a lot! Much appreciated It makes much more sense now. Hard to resist? Impossible I’d say! :wink:

3 Likes

The new thread is here \o/ Week 2
I still don’t have the ability to read it, but I promise that I will (it’s my book club so… :eyes:)

5 Likes