涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 Home Thread (Intermediate Book Club)

Awesome thanks, bookmarked for reference.

1 Like

I found my book and it is patiently waiting on my table for me.
“I’ve waited 8 years to be read, what’s a couple more weeks,” it seems to say.

8 Likes

There should be a really little 1 on the side of your LN volume, too… if you have the original printing. (It took me a while to find them, myself!) I believe the numbers a bit more prominent on the newer printings.

See below, a picture of my books! (Taken from my unboxing video.)

1 Like

I decided to get a head start today by reading the prologue. I figured if I could get used to the reading style ahead of time, it might help. I gotta say, while understanding the gist isn’t too hard, it’s difficult to get a lot of the nuance because of the long, flowing sentences. And once or twice (perhaps due to my own expectations of the story), I thought something was being explained about Haruhi, when it was actually just the main character thinking about stuff some more. Of course, using 転校生 as an example in his thoughts was particularly mean :laughing: .

Afterwards I read the prologue from my English copy to compare and see how much I understood. I think the translator mostly did a good job of translating the general intent while still sounding natural. Though one time they did use an analogy to capture the forcefulness (not sure how else to say it) of はずもない which maybe wasn’t the best choice given the context.

6 Likes

I’m wondering why that word is mean?
It was exactly what I thought it was (having seen it only once a few days ago in the list from FloFlo, but had to double-check a dictionary)…

From the particles/flavour bits I looked up in the past, I recall Kyon’s tone being especially sarcastic.

It was mean to me because it tricked me. :laughing:

1 Like

Anyone have a good Haruhi picture to use for the Discord server? Right now the two best I have are

and

Jk

I’d say
And
Are the most iconic

1 Like

I kinda wanted to use the “obey” one, but I just couldn’t. :joy:

1 Like

Well I finished reading the first week’s reading of Haruhi. It’s way harder than Kino. But it’s good to know that I can theoretically keep up if I’m willing to sacrifice a significant amount of comprehension… Not sure yet if I’ll keep reading ahead or wait to restart with book club in two weeks.

1 Like

What about a shot of Nagato Yuki reading… Since it is a book club?

Feel free to post some pictures of that character. I had to look her up though since I don’t know much about the series.

Such as…

Hmm… I think it might be best to stick with the titular character.

*shrug*

I’m cool either way. I have tons of great Haruhi pics at home… Essentially I just look up “Haruhi annoyed”, and there are some really great ones!

Also known as any picture of her : D

1 Like

Ehhh… Or typing… Or playing bass, or a few others but I don’t want to give spoilers for those who aren’t familiar with the series.

To be fair, the prologue is mostly a character thinking to himself about things, which does tend to be more involved than dialogue and descriptions of action. So it might get smoother.

That’s one reason I say prologues are generally the hardest part of a book.

The first 6 pages of chapter 1 were also pretty hard. Though, to be fair, it also had very little dialogue. I did specifically notice some N2 grammar points and a lot of hard words and complex sentences.

On a more positive note, I’m enjoying the first person narration.

It’s funny because, generally speaking, I dislike first-person narrative… in English. With exceptions, of course, but usually as very specific artistic choices, like an unreliable narrator in, say, Lolita. But I seem to enjoy first person the most in Japanese.