殺人出産 🤰🔪 Book Club

Or, even better, propose some free books to the Intermediate and Advanced book clubs! We’re always interested in learning about books people like, and it’s all the better if they are free.

Having said that, the Advanced book club has some picks that are free but like seanblue said they are older and often harder and not very popular :pensive:
For other proposals, some tend to be on sale sometimes (e.g. for 100 yen or for free) if you watch them over a period of time, e.g. just recently (or even still now? dunno) one of the Intermediate club mangas (ヨコハマ) is free on BookWalker and probably elsewhere.

Edit: Haha only just realized that I should rather tag @maykeye for this response - sorry for the confusion :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

We’re passing the ‘halfway through’ mark on the first story this week :muscle:

5 Likes

Hey book club peeps! It’s been a bit since I’ve popped into a thread, as life has gotten to be pretty hectic for me lately. As such, I don’t think I’ll be able to give 殺人出産 the time and attention it rightfully deserves.

The book is a good deal more challenging than I anticipated and I’ve decided to focus more on grammar studies than trying to clumsily stumble through Murata-sensei’s writing. I hope to one day rejoin all of you in a future club where I can fully engage in the text without straining myself.

Best wishes to all of you. 頑張って! さよなら!

10 Likes

We’ll definitely miss your insightful responses! 頑張ってね!

6 Likes
5 Likes

Here we go y’all, the most hotly anticipated week yet! :open_mouth:

5 Likes
3 Likes

Second to last week for 殺人出産! Looking forward to the ending and the next 2 shorter stories :+1:

5 Likes

The more I read, the more obsessed I am becoming with Sayaka Murata. I am thinking of nominating Earthlings for either the Intermediate or Advanced Book Club. The cut-off for the IBC is <350 pages and the quick’n’easy category in the ABC is 300> pages. Since the bunko edition has 336, it could go in either one of those. Where do you think it’d be the best fit?

• Intermediate Book Club
  • Advanced Book Club
  • Neither
  • Both

0 voters

3 Likes

Selfishly voted intermediate because I’m not sure I could keep up with the ABC yet. It would also give me some time to do some of my own reading before they finish コーヒーが冷めないうちに. There’s no way I could not participate in an Earthlings club if it happened. I already have the Japanese version and it’s one of my favorite books in English (I just wish I hadn’t read it yet so I could enjoy the story for the first time in Japanese).

5 Likes

I think this depends a lot on your preferred reading speed. We are currently reading at ~45 pages per week in the Advanced Book Club vs. ~15 pages in the Intermediate Book Club.
Where would you like to be in terms of reading speed for the book?

Also, I think by now you’ve gathered quite a nice fan base around Murata’s books, but I’m of the impression (which might be wrong ofc!) that some of them will not be able to keep up with the Advanced club speed (while being quite happy with the speed in this spinoff-spinoff club here, and probably also with the Intermediate club speed going forward). Maybe that might influence your decision as well?

5 Likes

Thanks, that’s partially why I asked here, because I want to make sure Murata’s most ardent fans (:wink:) can enjoy it. So far it seems like Intermediate speed is best. I mean, we could also just read it in this club, but I think reading it with the Intermediate club would get us some new converts members :grin:

4 Likes

Hehe, sooner or later we’re gonna get them all :grin:

If you submit it to the Intermediate club, you should be aware that it will only be read when it gets picked, of course - and that might take a long time or might maybe not happen at all.

With this I’m not saying you should not submit, not at all! Especially since we only have 13 nominations right now, and it would be nice to have some more. But if you want to read another Murata book soon, you might want to keep this in mind.

3 Likes

There’s plenty more to choose from! I think Earthlings might have the most ‘common’ appeal cause it’s reasonably well known and has a translation available. Of all the remaining books, I think that one has the best chances in an official Book Club poll.

4 Likes

So you would nominate it in the Intermediate Club and then we keep reading other books in our spinoff-spinoff-spinoff until it gets picked? :rofl:
Smart move, I’m impressed!

6 Likes

Maybe my view is a bit skewed because I’ve been in bookclubs with Murata fans all year, but I think there’d be a solid chance of winning the vote. Murata seems to generate a lot of enthusiasm, and her books are also very accessible for those moving up from the beginner level.

That being said I feel like it wouldn’t be right to submit a nomination then run a separate club if it loses, so I feel like you kind of lock it into the nomination cycle once you propose it. But I agree that it might have the most common appeal (due to its familiarity much more so than its content…). And if it didn’t win I’d always be down to tackle a different Murata pick in this bastard line of offshoot clubs!

2 Likes

I’ve thought this pretty often until now, and sometimes it was correct, but most of the time not :woman_shrugging: So I’ve somehow stopped wondering about how much success a book might have…

Yep, same here. That’s something I would not like at all.
I thought @Phryne was talking about reading different books in the meantime (in case it does not get picked).

4 Likes

Yep. But it is in important consideration… How keen are we to read Earthlings over any of the other books? And how keen are we to get more converts? :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(I mean seriously though, I really do think Murata’s writing is excellent for people trying to get into ‘novels written for actual Japanese adults’, so I just want to make sure as many Japanese learners as possible get to experience that :grin:)

5 Likes

That’s how I read it too, I think we’re all on the same page.

Like you said before I think of Murata’s books Earthlings would do the best as an official book club pick due to its popularity. And I personally would rather read other Murata books first since I’d like to read stories that I’m unfamiliar with, so to me at least it’s a win-win. Although I’m sure there are other club members who aren’t familiar with it who are probably itching to read it.

4 Likes

Like me! But I also enjoy reading the lesser known untranslated works, cause it makes me feel very pleased when I am enjoying a book that I can only enjoy because I learned Japanese. Makes all of the grinding feel totally worth it :grin:

6 Likes