殺人出産 🤰🔪 Book Club

My book has finally arrived after spending 4 days in customs, just in time :partying_face:

8 Likes

aw yiss here we gooooo

5 Likes

Let’s get readin’!

8 Likes

Got this beauty just in the nick of time! :grin:

11 Likes

Here we go, week 2!

8 Likes

Another week, another thread!

4 Likes

Just spreading the word a bit in case anybody is interested: The Intermediate Book Club is currently voting for their next pick, and some of the entries look like they might be interesting for this group as well? So in case you want to participate in the voting fun, it’s here:

7 Likes

I’ve let myself fall behind… :sob: Gonna make a push to catch up on the reading from the past couple of weeks and read through everyone’s posts/post my own thoughts. Hopefully I can be on track with the rest of the group by the end of the week. Wish me luck! :muscle::sweat_smile:

13 Likes

Mother’s Day vacation over the week kept me from keeping up too, whoops! 頑張って!:star:

2 Likes

How… fitting :eyes:

Anyway, here’s thread the fourth!

7 Likes

I bought this book, but never ended up starting it. Oops. :sweat_smile:

Still time to catch up! The weekly reading is relatively light and it’s definitely been a huge page-turner so far.

1 Like

I have about another week to finish what I’m in the middle of reading now, so I’ll consider catching up then. Is there a read-aloud session or anything like that?

1 Like

Thought about staring reading the book, but (digital) it has some serious region restrictions. Bookwalker doesn’t sell it through at least PayPal, Amazon doesn’t want to sell it at all.

I am totally not salty that despite existing thousands of free novels, the reading club loves paid restricted works :person_shrugging:

You understand this book is no different from most books, right? Typically you have to pay for things and many websites don’t take PayPal. The region restrictions are easy to work around if you care to try, but you’ll still need a credit card or other payment method that’s accepted by these websites. Books that are always free (mostly public domain) tend to be old and I don’t think most people would want to read them. That said, you’re welcome to start your own book club for any free book of your choosing if you want.

5 Likes

Nope, no read-alouds as of now.

Or, even better, propose some free books to the Intermediate and Advanced book clubs! We’re always interested in learning about books people like, and it’s all the better if they are free.

Having said that, the Advanced book club has some picks that are free but like seanblue said they are older and often harder and not very popular :pensive:
For other proposals, some tend to be on sale sometimes (e.g. for 100 yen or for free) if you watch them over a period of time, e.g. just recently (or even still now? dunno) one of the Intermediate club mangas (ヨコハマ) is free on BookWalker and probably elsewhere.

Edit: Haha only just realized that I should rather tag @maykeye for this response - sorry for the confusion :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

We’re passing the ‘halfway through’ mark on the first story this week :muscle:

5 Likes

Hey book club peeps! It’s been a bit since I’ve popped into a thread, as life has gotten to be pretty hectic for me lately. As such, I don’t think I’ll be able to give 殺人出産 the time and attention it rightfully deserves.

The book is a good deal more challenging than I anticipated and I’ve decided to focus more on grammar studies than trying to clumsily stumble through Murata-sensei’s writing. I hope to one day rejoin all of you in a future club where I can fully engage in the text without straining myself.

Best wishes to all of you. 頑張って! さよなら!

10 Likes

We’ll definitely miss your insightful responses! 頑張ってね!

6 Likes