極限脱出 9時間9人9の扉 (Zero Escape: 999) 🗝 Week 14 (Visual Novel Book Club)

Week 14: Starting June 30th

極限脱出 9時間9人9の扉 :old_key: Home Thread!

This is being read as part of the Visual Novel Book Club.

Previous Part: Week 13
Next Part: Week 15 (starting July 7th)

Reading

This week we’re reading following the red keys on the flowchart. The organization is a bit different than previous weeks, so please see below for more information.
***Note: there is a missable scene; see “Further instructions” below for details!

Further instructions

Similar to last week following the white keys, this week we are following the red ones. The keys indicate scenes that need to be triggered in order for the white lock to be completed. Following this path involves going through door 5, then door 8, then door 6.

In order to unlock the red lock, certain flags must be triggered. This includes both making certain choices, and viewing certain new scenes as a result. Squares on the flowchart that don’t have red icons don’t need to be revisited to do this; simply going through the scenes with the relevant choices and dialogue will do. From the flowchart, you can go directly to dialogue sections, so there isn’t a need to replay puzzle rooms either.

Aside from which doors to enter, you are free to make whatever choices you like.

***Note: there is a new scene in the novel section following the 蒸気機関室 puzzle (the third scene of the door 6 branch) that isn’t marked by a key, so it’s possible to miss it if you just revisit the red key scenes. If you see サンタ sitting on the stairs holding a picture, you’re on the scene I’m talking about!

Note: it’s not always obvious when a section ends, so try to keep an eye on the flowchart when you think you’re getting close to the end. Below is a screenshot of how your flowchart should look and where the section ends. Screenshots are under a double spoiler so you can unblur one at a time (minimizing spoilers).

Screenshots (potential spoilers)

Current flowchart:

Stop here:

The end of this week’s assignment is an ending so you’ll circle back around to the beginning of the game after some information screens (and credits!) and saving.

General Advice

In the remastered version, novel sections have two reading modes: novel and adventure. The mode you are currently in is displayed in the top right; click on it to swap between the two. Novel mode includes both dialogue and narrative text, while adventure mode includes only dialogue. Which you read is up to you; novel mode generally gives you more information by nature of writing out descriptions of events, while adventure mode is less reading by nature of being only dialogue.

Note: the game will occasionally force you into the other mode. When this happens, you can simply click the button in the top right to swap back; however, if it forces you into novel mode, there may be a reason it does so, so proceed with caution!

Choices

The choices are under a double spoiler so you can unblur one choice at the time (minimizing spoilers). For those of you who would like to go through the game blind as to which choices matter, I am including baseline responses for all choices. However, for those of you who would like to make your own choices where it doesn’t affect story progression, whether a choice is critical or not is marked under a second spoiler below each choice.

Note: the appearance of some choices is triggered by previous choices, so if you pick different responses on ones that aren’t required for story progression don’t be concerned if you don’t see some of the choices listed below.

Choices

No required choices this week; see the “Further instructions” section above for more instructions, and please ask if you have any questions!

Guides if you want to check choices yourself (beware of spoilers!)

From what I can tell it seems like major spoilers and puzzle answers are hidden, but proceed with caution!

Japanese guide
English guide

Puzzles

In case anyone has trouble with the puzzles or that just isn’t their thing, I’m including the relevant puzzle instructions. Of course you’re welcome to ask for help in the thread as well! If you are trying to figure it out I’d recommend asking for hints here first, as the guides are somewhat hit or miss with how much they reveal and how quickly.

Puzzle guides (beware of spoilers!)

No puzzles this week!

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter/part and any content in future chapters/parts.
  • When asking for help, do your best to provide context. Pasted text, screenshots, descriptions, etc. Unlike book clubs we can’t flip to relevant pages, so we may need a little help identifying exactly what is being discussed.
  • Feel totally at ease to ask questions or give your thoughts, any time! Clubs live and die by participation, and asking whatever question you have, no matter how silly it may seem, helps others who are reading it and even the answerer themselves.
  • Have fun, and do your best to interpret anything said with as much good faith as possible :slightly_smiling_face:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am not reading this VN
0 voters
2 Likes

Oh we’re in it now! This week is definitely long; it took me about 4 hours altogether. Sorry the end has ended up a bit unbalanced, I forgot how long some of these parts were :sweat_smile: I think the next two weeks will hopefully be more manageable. Thank you all for bearing with me!

As always let me know what you guys think, and please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

5 Likes

Oh yeah, big big week. No worries that it ended up this way – this sort of club is hard to plan. I was just thinking, if/when a VLR spinoff starts, that one might be even harder to plan with all the jumping around. I’m sure it can work, though.

Spoilers

We are indeed IN IT now. The overarching mystery remains, but we’ve found out several important points. That scene with ニルス in the incinerator has stuck with me over all these years very clearly, it may or may not strain believability but I love the way it’s all presented too much to care.

You know I don’t think it ever occurred to me, but you’d think Yotsuba might realize her brother, with his artificial arm, could escape death anyway had it really been him thrown into that room. I’m willing to not get caught up in it because I find “plot hole” (if one could even call it that) complaints a pretty boring way to engage with art, and by the time he went missing and “his body” was discovered she’d reasonably be too shaken up to think straight, but it is something that crossed my mind. I don’t think it ever did when I was younger and read this.

I really enjoy 一宮’s character; he’s pretty gross and self-serving to the end but his feigned polite demeanor is quite funny too. I love the brief indignant sort of “I know you’re jealous of how heroic I was!” bit. I actually learned about prosopagnosia from playing this game back in the day and that sorta blew my mind. The way there’s sort of a brain area for recognizing faces is fascinating.

I’m excited for people to catch up, see how they react to these reveals and if they have any ideas about the overarching purpose of this game/the mastermind’s identity/etc. We’re nearly there!

3 Likes

Finished! I think this route took me about 5.5-6 hours overall.

Textractor ran into a few hiccups at one part, but for some reason opening the save menu then exiting it caused the correct characters to be pulled out, just FYI for anyone using it. I think the game itself was wigging out a bit on the text display a bit there too.

Nirusu is terrifying. “How pathetic begging for your life at the end” he really roasted Ichimiya, pun fully intended. RIP we barely knew ye

4 Likes

Well I certainly lost all account of how much time I was spending on this weeks reading. I kept reading late at night too. Having to re-read sections the next day because I clearly had gotten myself lost. The final two scenes felt like a weeks worth of reading to me. 一宮 especially presented hurdles and speed traps. I did feel like I solidified several grammar points and even a few verbs with these sections though. I want to catch up here in time to finish on schedule but if the next sections are as hard as this, jeez, we’ll see.

Spoilers

I have some comments in my notes, one of them about the rat maze generational telepathy story that Santa tells. Something about it being analog to the very nature of this game we’re playing. But was that even from this week? Maybe I was just jotting things down when we started changing bangle numbers and blindly feeling for scan panels. Just, the bit about starting each consecutive story run with information gained in the previous run, leads to faster, even immediate breaks for the actual exit.
I also noted 一宮’s “jealous of my heroic behavior” line. Not for the way it shapes his character, but because I had never seen 嫉妬 for envy/jealousy. The radicals the kanji consist of and the core meanings, sorry I had to laugh.
Aside from the random guy in ニルス’s clothing, how many others are there aboard the ship? eh, the time limit I set for writing this up. Must read further.

What is a 塩の柱?
こちらを見つめたまま、 まるで塩の柱のように立ち尽くしている。
Like a salt pillar?

3 Likes

Yeah, I think that’s a Biblical reference? Lot’s wife disobeyed the angels telling her not to look back at Sodom while fleeing it, and was turned into a pillar of salt on the spot.

1 Like

I appreciate the help, I’ll miss most all of those, these days. I believe I see how that fits in context too. My VN note taking is a work in progress.

1 Like