村上春樹 - 海辺のカフカ (Murakami Haruki - Kafka on the Shore) quote

I hope somebody can help me here. I came across this quote - “I’ll never see them again. I know that. And they know that. And knowing this, we say farewell.” - from Kafka on the Shore by Murakami Haruki and was wondering what the original quote in the japanese book is. I searched the Internet but can’t seem to find it. That’s why I’m asking here

1 Like

Do you know where in the book that would be? I own the book but haven’t read it yet, so it would be pretty hopeless I‘m afraid…

1 Like

Sadly I don’t. I have, a few days ago, purchased the english book, but I haven’t gotten around to reading it just yet. I just saw a friend post this quote on my timeline. I know it is a long-shot to find someone who can help but I figured I’d try anyway.

I just asked on reddit as well. Maybe they can find the chapter / page where the quote can be found.

1 Like

Or you could read the book, find the quote and relay back yourself? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Reddit has come through: “Near the end of chapter 47 (p. 480 in the version I have). ‘They’ refer to the two soldiers who lead Kafka to, and away, from the town.”

2 Likes

I will right after I have finished 1Q84 :sweat_smile:

1 Like

oOOooohI’m readingthat one too!!!

1 Like

I don’t know if reddit told you what the original quote is already, but it’s on page 478 of the 下巻:

僕が彼らに会うことはもう二度とないだろう。僕はそれを知っている。彼らもそれを知っている。そのようにして僕らは別れる。

5 Likes

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate it! :slightly_smiling_face: :clap:

3 Likes