本好きの下剋上: Volume 4+ discussion thread

I’ve practically given up on a sale ever showing up again. :sweat_smile: I will have to pick a new book to start reading soon though, so we’ll see.

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve seen anything past volume 8 on sale before. I might buy them one at a time when I get there and just keep hoping.

3 Likes

HI, yes, hello, welcome onboard the マインxフェルディナンド ship. I actually started going for that ship during the epilogue of book 5 instead, when フェルディナンド sees 麗乃/マイン take a bath (although her body is mostly hidden by bubbles I think?). Then I thought jokingly “well, now you have to take responsibility and marry her :stuck_out_tongue:” but that soon stopped being a joke in my mind.

It’s a crazy expensive robe, though :joy: Also, err, シキコーザ got executed and they can’t blame マイン about it. I felt that part was the most “expensive” in the deal.

3 Likes

Just finished reading it during my lunch break. Hmmm, that’s a strange feeling. I read that part of the webnovel about 4 months ago. That’s not far enough to forget the plot, but definitely far enough to forget the details. Sometimes I’m left wondering “wait, was that a thing?”. I’m not going to check, though :joy:

Anyway, my original disappointment came from really expecting an event (let’s call it E) to happen but that was not the case.
Book: event A
Me: Riiiight, I remember that. Then it’s going to be E, right?
Book: now B.
Me: Aaaaah, yes, that was a thing too. How about now?
Book: epilogue!
Me: Gaaaaah
Next book preview: C coming up.
Me: Wait, but then there’s also D… Are you telling me E won’t happen in the next book either?? I have to wait between 6 months and a year?!?

@WaniMekani flip table

4 Likes

:motor_boat: :motor_boat: :motor_boat:
I think in the epilogue of book 5 I was more surprised that マイン seemed to equate him seeing her as 麗乃 the same as if he was looking at マイン, even though she’s a full-grown woman. She kept talking about a child and for a moment I was wondering if she looked like マイン in the dream world instead of 麗乃, but then I figured she was just so excited to read books and bathe that she just didn’t think that far. I don’t think there were any bubbles in the shower and she looked in the mirror at one point, soooooo… Seeing someone naked is definitely a little more intimate than working on ledgers together.

Spoiler volume 6 (~35%): I just got to the part where you find out that ダームエル had to get a loan to pay for his 1/4 of the robe, so it’s definitely more expensive than I initially thought. Obviously シキコーザ getting executed was the real cost, but he was going to die either way, so the robe and promise really only paid for their honor. I anticipate シキコーザ family shenanigans down the road regardless of their promise though.

3 Likes

I don’t remember that :thinking: I remember her talking about her experience as マイン and losing all sense of shame from having to be washed and changed by her father (as マイン) who was a stranger from her point of view. So I guess that’s her talking about a child though :joy: Also, I’m a bit fuzzy on the details, now. Maybe the bubbles were wishful thinking. I don’t remember her being naked when she looked into the mirror either.

The robe paid for the honor of シキコーザ who was then declared to have died in combat, and for the life of his relatives. They would have been executed as well if not for the promise that they won’t interfere. Considering that if one of them do anything, everyone get executed, the assumption is that everyone in the family is going to prevent everyone else from doing anything stupid. At the time of reading that, I assumed it was a way for the author to just tidy up any dangling plot thread. The 雑魚騎士 served his purpose plot wise, time to get read of him in a clean way. (Obviously, I won’t say if that assumption was correct or not).

Also, you forgot to re-spoiler the text you quoted :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

:scream: :sob: I just fixed it. Hopefully no one saw.

2 Likes

I missed a word in there, if that makes a difference. I meant she kept talking about being a child. She said 「子供だから恥ずかしくないもん」 after the part where she explained that she lost her sense of shame a few days after she started living as マイン. 神官長 replied that she shouldn’t compare him to her dad, and then she replies 「別にこんな幼女の裸を見たところで何とも思わないでしょう」. She just kept bringing up that it wouldn’t bother him if he saw マイン nude, but I didn’t really see how that was relevant. :rofl:

There were no bubbles, but the bath water was a milky white color that somewhat obscured her body: 「乳白色の湯の中にうっすらと裸体が見える」. I don’t know how other people take showers, but if he’s looking from her perspective, I don’t see how he couldn’t have seen her naked in there. After the shower, they instantaneously shift to the sink/mirror where she blow dries her hair. I guess she could have reappeared with a towel, but nothing was mentioned. I just assumed she was nude the whole time.

Somehow I missed this. I thought that part about the family being affected meant that his shame would become the family’s shame, so by changing his death to an honorable one, it would also clear them of any disgrace. I didn’t realize that they would be executed too. In that case, it really wasn’t much of a choice. I need to go back and re-read that part.

2 Likes

Aaaah, yes it makes a difference. Then yes, I 100% agree with you here. I guess she may think that her old body isn’t relevant anymore, but still. About the bath, okay, so there was indeed some cover. Still, I don’t know how big her bathtub is, but generally my err chest area is above the water (or my knees if I bend my legs instead, but that doesn’t seem to match her position). In any case, he has definitely seen more than he should have :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I kinda forgot this topic existed separate from the home thread. I’m about 85% of the way through book 8, and I just finished reading a part that I’m sure @catbus will love. It’s also the most I’ve laughed reading this series in a while!

volume 8 two chapters before epilogue spoilers

I’m still not actually done reading the chapter as I’m writing this post, but the stuff with the ライオンバス followed by the レッサーパンダバス was hilarious and super cute! フェルディナンド has no taste! I’ve seen My Neighbor Totoro multiple times, so I got all the references and could pretty much picture the 騎獣 myself. But I’m glad we got an official picture!

5 Likes

I didn’t click spoilers, but I’m intrigued! The agony~!

4 Likes

Better not look at that before reaching volume 8. Once you are there, it’s much less of a problem (but of course still spoiler until then)

2 Likes

Mwahaha!! How’s volume 7 coming along?

4 Likes

I haven’t gotten too far in (26%). I hit the double ink-making chapters like a brick wall. I’m three quarters of the way through the second ink-making chapter, but every time I open the book in the Kindle app I remember where I am and decide to read something else instead. I think the ink-making chapters turned even more sour when マイン was like “I don’t really care about this at all as long as I get color inks”. I was internally yelling at my Kindle “then why are you spending so much time making us read about the process?!” I was looking forward to some interesting in-world science and got disappointment. :cry:

5 Likes

It’s not that long! I can’t remember exactly, but it’s back to the good stuff just after that.

Research takes time! I thought it was cool that マイン literally gets a (ink) research institute (well, it’s just a single person, but still…)

2 Likes

I was being a little over dramatic, but I won’t lie, I wasn’t really feeling the ink chapters. After complaining last night I sucked it up and finished the few pages I had left in that chapter. Onward to “good stuff”!

2 Likes

It is way too late for me to be reading or posting comments on the forum, but I just had to come here to say whaaaaaaat (middle of volume 7). That was a series of things I was not expecting! I want to read more but it’s too late. :sob:

3 Likes

Haha, you should rest! Then I’d love to hear your comments about the book, once you finish it!

2 Likes

So much happened in the second half of volume 7! It’s been a week since I finished, so I actually ended up re-reading/skimming through and taking notes so I could write another long-winded post about 本好き (apologies in advance for the length).

To get the non-spoilery things out of the way, I actually liked all of the additional chapters that were tacked on to the end. When compared to the last arc, I felt like they all added something more to either character development or the plot, rather than just feeling like filler. The second to last chapter was the only one I felt a little “meh” about and that was probably just traumatic flashbacks to the ink chapters. :rofl: Overall I really enjoyed volume 7. The second half was certainly action-packed.

Down to spoiler business! (Volume 7, 47% to end)

Additional collapsing to try to prevent people from accidental spoilers. :skull_and_crossbones: :skull_and_crossbones: :skull_and_crossbones:

Big surprises (major plot spoilers)
  1. ジルヴェスター様(ジル様)

I was not expecting this at all. From previous chapters I had assumed that he was a high-ranking noble that was possibly a friend of 神官長 growing up. My immediate first thought was that ベンノ was going to have a heart attack, but little did I know… (poor ベンノ). My second thought was that, as a protective charm, the necklace was really only useful in this specific instance. It wouldn’t have protected her from actual bodily harm, and was really as much protection for ジル様 as it was for マイン. There was really a much closer look at ジル様’s personality in this volume as well. Before he was exclusively seen as a happy-go-lucky goofball from マイン’s perspective, but he clearly is much more calculating. On several occasions he talked nonchalantly about killing マイン, her family, and many other people in the lower city. ジル様 and 神官長 seem to focus exclusively on the good of the 領地 vis a vis their family, with little regard for the actual citizens of said 領地. Unrelated, I was also surprised that ジル様 used “私” as his personal pronoun in his inner monologue. For some reason I thought he would use “俺” like ベンノ. This made him feel less arrogant and more…personable? Like he has internalized that he should be a responsible, upstanding leader. I could be totally off-base because I don’t really know how different pronoun usage feels to native speakers.

1. 神殿長’s relationships

No wonder he was such a pompous jerk! I guess when you have that kind of backing you can get away with (almost) anything. It seemed like 神官長 and ジル様 were goading him into pushing the limits so they could get rid of him.

1. 神官長’s relationships

It makes so much more sense now why 神官長 is in the 神殿 and serving double duty with the 騎士団. I think there had been some brief mention previously that he was there as a result of political maneuvering by someone, so I had assumed that it was something like this, but I guess just not that high up. After these first three surprises, it hardly seemed notable that カルステッド was also related to everyone. I think the biggest revelation there was that a successor is chosen by magical ability from the children of the 正妻. It was a little unclear, but it seems like any of the 夫人 are正妻, so I don’t think it has to be one of the first wife’s children specifically, as long as it is not a mistress.

1. マイン’s new title(s)

マイン’s separation from her family was easily the saddest thing in this series so far. I was tearing up the whole time. It was also touching that 神官長 brought her medal to her family for the burial. The other time he seemed to show some emotion was when he ran forward to catch マイン when she fell while ジル様looked away. He clearly has some fondness for マイン, but for the most part is generally treating her more as a political asset. This was also apparent when 神官長, ジル様, and カルステッド discuss securing her as their primary goal, in addition to getting rid of 神殿長 and ジル様’s mom.

I was very surprised that they were making マイン the new 神殿長. I’m a little fuzzy on how old she is at this point (7 or 8 maybe?), but that seems ridiculously young to be given the post, even with the excuses that are mentioned (increased oversight, fewer ways to siphon funds). It seems like a job that would be valuable for connections, especially if a family is on the up and up (see #5 below). Literally no family would want the post and find a way to complain? That is so hard for me to believe. Plus, there won’t always be such tight scrutiny if someone is willing to play the long game.

1. ダームエル’s family

I couldn’t help but think that ベンノ would enjoy the fact that ギルド長 had paid キルベルタ商会 for part of マイン’s robe. The family seemed really kind, so フリーダ ended up quite lucky.

1. アルノー’s personality

He’s a giant a-hole who revels in フラン suffering from past trauma. I think that some of his actions are starting to connect some dots for 神官長 and 神官長 may not trust him as much (although I could just be misinterpreting things).神官長 indicated that he knew about something of アルノー relations with 青色巫女, and had intentionally kept アルノー away from マイン because of his history. However, フラン’s response was that he noticed アルノー had been absent, and “どうやらはるか高みに続く階段を上がっていった” and then he mentioned that アルノー must have also been a victim of マルグリット. I didn’t really understand how this connected to what 神官長 had said. Or what this far off place he had ascended to was (death?). I definitely missed something here.

マイン’s blessing and other マイン magic things

As far as I could tell, the only people affected by マイン’s blessing were her family, ルッツ, ベンノ, マルク, ダームエル, フラン, and 神官長. It seems possible that ギル, ロジーナ, and ヴィルマ were also affected, but they were not explicitly mentioned. For certain ジル様, カルステッド, フリーダ, and レオンdid not receive it. I was initially surprised about it avoiding フリーダ, because I thought マイン had considered her a friend, but I guess they were still more distant that the other people who definitely received the blessing.

I’m very curious about the lasting effects of the blessing, since it seems to be very open-ended. Is it for life? How long does it take for magic to fade, if at all? I’m assuming the healing was only for the immediate wounds, but maybe not? For instance, if ギュンター is injured while working later on, will he be healed? It seems like there has to be a limit.

神官長, ジル様, and カルステッド seem to have a very limited view of マイン’s magic use. They talked about all of the magic it took for マイン to cast the blessing invoking all of the gods (カルステッド was concerned she might die), but didn’t really seem to take in that she had also used her magic in the lower city, while fighting against 神殿長 and his noble buddy, creating the shield, and in the blessing. Altogether it seems pretty incredible based on in-book expectations. For example, 神殿長 was absolutely shocked when she broke his protective magic stone. I thought at first that she would be able to reabsorb the magic she poured into it to recoup some strength, but it didn’t seem like that was the case. She had to have used a considerable amount of magic even before the blessing.

Things I laughed about
  1. マイン initial reaction to ジル様’s revelation was to wonder if the 領地 would be okay.
  2. マイン’s reaction of “こんな親戚、いらない!” to ジル様’s 叔父.
  3. ジル様 thought his pet ran away from him because it feared his majesty (rather than for its life).
  4. ベンノ and 神官長 repeatedly referred to マイン as “アレ”.
  5. The start of ベンノ’s chapter (……どいつもこいつも次々と仕事を持ち込みやがって!俺を殺す気か!?).
  6. レオン feeling an irresistible urge to smack ルッツ in the back of the head when he is asking ジル様 to tell the 領主 to send people to clean the lower city.
隠し部屋 ponderings

I have so many questions about how the 隠し部屋 work after this book. When マイン is registering her room, 神官長 says that it won’t be the same as the prior resident’s room, even though the door is the same. If the room is based on the user’s magic and/or the ring, what happens to the 隠し部屋 of people who have died or been accused of a crime? Can they be accessed by outsiders, like the 領主, if it is important enough? Can more than one person be registered to a particular 隠し部屋? For instance, if two people registered a room together? If the 隠し部屋 is made based on the user’s magic and/or the ring, can multiple doors be used to access the same room (faster travel)? I’m very curious to learn more about how magic works in this world.

Plot gripes

神官長’s appearance was very deus ex machina. I really had to work hard to suspend my disbelief that he was just chilling in his 隠し部屋 while all this was going down. He clearly knew what was going on in the city, so I feel like he should have immediately suspected that マイン was the target. He had even said before it could happen. As an important asset, it seems like securing マイン would have been his logical first step. I so much didn’t believe that this was going to be the plot that I thought he must have had a secret entrance/exit and was literally not in the building, but apparently that wasn’t the case. Why? I have such a hard time believing that he was just receiving messages while the 騎士団 was chasing down a rogue foreign noble clearly there to capture マイン.

7 Likes
Volume 7 spoilers
You have been warned

So, I’m pretty sure that’s the case, but checking on the 本好き fan wiki, there’s a bit of confusion as well about the definition of 正妻 (see the following reply about someone having the same opinion as us):

主張自体はおおよそ同意するけど「正妻であるエルヴィーラと第二夫人であるトルデリーデ」と書かれるように一夫多妻制の正妻ってのは第一夫人だけ。

Although, from a logical point of view, that doesn’t prevent his second wife to be a 正妻 as well…

I know :sob:

She is technically 8, but will be retrograded to 7 as part of her identity laundering.

For a regular kid, it would be, yes. She is just unbelievably mature.

No, because we are talking about the 神殿. Positions like that are granted based on your family status. While both 神官長 and ローゼマイン are technically not completely without problems (he is a bastard and she is a kid), there’s no blue priest(esse) who can compete.

Uh, I don’t remember that part, so I would need to check. Anyway, はるか高みに続く階段 is death, yes.

Same :rofl: , I was thinking “wow, that’s cold”. At the same time, マイン has always been nervous around her, so subconsciously that would have an impact.

The strength and time limit are based on how much magic was spent on the blessing (see book 5-ish? The fight against the trombe).

It’s 99.999% incredible from their expectation of マイン magic level. The reason why is probably spoiler, but I think they hint at it?

Maybe spoiler? I'm not sure. She is much stronger than he expected anyway.

Yup, that alone is almost beyond the realm of human capacities, and yet… she’s a child, meaning she is at the fraction of her full power as an adult, she did it at a distance, so there’s magic loss, AND she barely broke a sweat during the whole thing.
That’s not normal in any way, shape or form.

Haha, yes, I loved those as well.
Poor レオン :joy:

I don’t think any of this is spoiler, err, but I may be wrong.

They remain as is until the magic runs out (or is overwritten, like now).

Again, I’m pretty sure that has been mentioned at that point, but you need the person’s magic (or someone else who has been registered) to open the door. If you do not have said magic on hand, then you can be ライデンシャフトand it won’t budge.

?? Am I misremembering what is happening at this point, because you should have the answer. *panik*

We are told he isn’t there either, so I also thought he was not in the building at the time.
Uh, I don’t remember exactly, but I think he had no way to know what was going on at the moment. I need to check.
Yes, it’s made explicit:

あの部屋の中にいたのに会えなくて不在ということは、間違いなく説教部屋に籠っていたのだろう。神官長の魔力で出入りするあの部屋は完全に隔離されている空間のようで、外の喧騒は全く聞こえてこなくなるのだ。

So he had literally no idea of what was going on. I’ll check a bit more, but I think he got in before the fights started too.

Edit: There’s no direct mention of it, but one would assume he would have done so, since マイン had left already before the begining of the actual fighting.

3 Likes