時をかける少女: Week 4 Discussion (Chapters 4 and 5)

「じょうだんじゃないよ。だれだ、そんなへんなことをいうやつは?」
These are Gorou’s words. He says “That’s not funny! (or, “Give me a break!”) Who told you that? (or, “Who is that fellow who said such a weird thing?”)
After which Kazuo panicks and says he must have misheard something.

3 Likes

Thanks for writing that out @Freann! Thanks also for clarifying 感謝

:thinking: That certainly makes more sense. I wonder why 一夫はあわてていった comes before his speech, when usually it comes after… (at least that’s what I’ve noticed)

Oh! That makes sense
It sometimes still confuse me who said what when there are more that 2 people talking (even though there are only 2 people talking here :thinking:). I instinctively knew it should be Gorou’s line, but somehow I couldn’t piece it together.

一夫はあわてていった Kazuo flustered(? I don’t know if this sounds good in English) comes after what Gorou said becaus it’s Kazuo’s reaction for his words.

2 Likes

Er, still plugging away at chapter 4 here :sweat_smile: well, about to move on, but I have some questions that don’t seem to have been covered yet…

Tsubasa Bunko, Chapter 4

Page 28

The bit where Kazuko and Kazuo (could they have more confusing names?) are talking is giving me several problems :grin:

和夫なら頭もいいし考え深いから、なにか自分をなっとくさせてくれることばを与えてくれるだろうと思った。

Right. Is the 頭もいいし bit a case of し being used to state a reason (followed by a conclusion)? So we have “because Kazuo also has a good head (i.e. is smart)…”?

And then apart from “after thinking deeply” I get pretty lost. I can break down various words and get the gist, and I know that the end part is that she’s thinking she’s hopefully receive… some kind of words of understanding?! but if anyone could break down the second half for me that would be much appreciated :bowing_man:

Page 29

Kazuo says she’s not looking good, and then it says:

こまかいことによく気のつく正確である。

Eh? He’s… good at noticing small things? That’s my best guess at meaning, but I don’t quite understand the 気のつく bit (I’m just drawing on things like 気づく and 気が付く, which might be total red herrings).

Page 29

Okay, this is just a question of nuance, really. After Kazuko says that she’s fine (presumably unconvincingly :grin:), it says that she lightly shook her head from side to side. However, it conjugates ふる with みせる to give:

彼女は軽く首を左右にふってみせた。

みせる means to show or display, so I kind of infer that it means she’s sort of showing what she means by shaking her head, but is that actually correct, and if so, is that a standard way to use みせる? I just can’t imagine the equivalent quite working in English, so I’m intrigued. #radishreadingwaytoomuchintoit

1 Like

Yes, but the list keeps going and ends with 考え深い

考え深い is saying that he’a a deep thinker, and for that reason - and because he’s smart - that he can… well.
自分を納得させてくれる “let (her) understand/convince herself”
She’s receiving being allowed/made to 納得 herself.
Thar’s modifying 言葉, so we’re talking about words that would let her figure things out.
Then, those words, を与えてくれる he would give her those words. She thinks.

3 Likes

Yeah, you got that right. And it is just 気が付く because が can be replaced with の in subordinate clauses.

5 Likes

I think she’s just making a point of showing him a head shake. Not just shaking her head, but doing so with intention as a display.

2 Likes

Ah, did not get that bit. I thought Kazuko was the one thinking deeply.

As for the rest… thank you so much. I was so frustrated because I felt like I understood all the bits and just couldn’t put it together for some reason.

Sweet! Except I’m starting to feel like my brain has simply reached grammar-retention capacity :sob:

Cool, thank you again!

2 Likes

Don’t worry, after you internalize these grammar rules there will be room for more :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yeah, this throws me off each time :slight_smile: (Secretly, in my head I just call them “ichi” and “go” and “the girl” :joy_cat:)

QuackingShoe already explained that this belongs to the list of reasons. I just wanted to add how you can distinguish the “after” から and the “reason-giving” から : it means “after” only when it follows the て-form. So in this case it is preceded by a short-form sentence and that means it adds another reason to the し list.

5 Likes

When you start throwing a bunch of causatives and different receiving words into a sentence all working together, things get… complicated.

So I couldn’t blame ya.

1 Like

Oh sorry, I totally read that backwards :sweat_smile:

After all this time I still feel like my brain just has a panic attack and shuts down every time it sees some combination of な・の・だ・で・です・もん・もの :grin:

Ah, lovely, thank you. I think we’ve seen that a few times in the book and as I’ve only noticed the し thing used in conjunction with other しs up till this point I got over-excited :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah a し list can end with a し or with から, ので, etc.

Also watch for the other から meaning “from”
駅から = from the station
駅だから = because of the station

3 Likes

Ah don’t worry, I routinely shut down when encountering one of those pile of helper verbs. tabe… sasete… kurete… mitai wot???

7 Likes

Someday I’d like to try being allowed to eat~
wistful

3 Likes

Chapters 6 and 7 are here!

7 Likes

Right at the start of ch 5:

The earthquake and the fire… 夢だったというのか ?

“Was a dream?” should be 夢だったのか , what is the という doing in there?

という has a lot of different uses, but here I’d say it’s pretty literal. Kazuo just said it was a dream. She’s thinking, “is he saying it was all a dream??”

If less literal, I’d say “That means it was a dream?”

2 Likes

Ah, that makes sense, I thought she was questioning herself “was it a dream?”, but missed that it’s in reaction to what was said before!

2 Likes