時をかける少女: Week 4 Discussion (Chapters 4 and 5)

Incidentally

I think 四苦八苦 is our first 四字熟語?
:tada:

7 Likes

???
The two podiums you describe are the same thing. On the left of the picture, you can see the student tables facing the direction of the podium.

2 Likes

The distinction is being made between the podium and the platform.

4 Likes

I thought the platform was a podium.

3 Likes

It is. That’s why it’s hard to talk about the distinction without confusinf everyone : p

5 Likes

I honestly didn’t know “podium” could mean the platform that you stand on instead of the stand that you stand behind until today

I saw “dais” in the jisho definition and then it started to click.

3 Likes

And I didn’t know it could mean that other thing. Well, live and learn I guess :slightly_smiling_face: (anyway, we don’t even have those in my classroom, so I’m not familiar with them)

2 Likes

What. THAT’s a podium in English?

But, in French, the platform would be called a podium.
Do you mean I can’t just plug in French words in my English sentences and call it a day?
What is life?

Edit: wait, my dictionary says “small raised platform” for podium :thinking: I am le confused now.

10 Likes

It’s pretty strange.

When I googled the definition of podium, I got this

But when I googled for images of podiums, I got this

Mixed messages much? I guess that North American definition “lectern” is what’s messing it up.

3 Likes

This is what I pictured with the word podium. The teacher here would be facing the students. So comparing that versus the stage-type structure that @Darcinon posted, it makes more sense now.

2 Likes

That’s probably the main definition there, hence all the people who don’t know the “platform” one.

2 Likes

Yeah. We often call a lectern a podium as well. To the extent that I was sitting here trying to remember the word lectern so I could clear up tje confusion, but couldn’t bring it to mind because usually I hear podium D :

2 Likes

Welp, I guess I’ll just give up on ever being “fluent” in English, then.

5 Likes

Me too
says the native English speaker

9 Likes

butfluencyonlytakessixmonths

8 Likes

Man, the kanji 壇 and the words it’s in make so much more sense now. I don’t think I even noticed that 壇 has the alternate meaning “platform” on WK when I learned it.

2 Likes

#fluentinsixmonths #nativelevelintwoyears
#BuffalobuffaloBuffalobuffalobuffalobuffaloBuffalobuffalo
#すもももももももものうちです

4 Likes

I became fluent in English in just 2 weeks by just reading Amazon reviews. That’s legit, send me money and I can tell you how.

6 Likes

Could someone check to see if I’m understanding this correctly please~
From the beginning of Kadokawa Page 29:

Gorou comes into the classroom. Kazuko and Kazuo had been talking about the fire and earthquake that happened tonight. Kazuo asks Gorou if his house had almost been on fire, which makes Gorou freak out. Kazuo tells him it’s not a joke and asks “who would say such a strange thing”(?). Then he goes on to say he misheard (as he expected), he’s glad, and he must’ve heard something similar (and misinterpreted it), in order to avoid saying that Kazuko had been saying this stuff. Then Kazuko thanks him, or is she thankful (自分をかばってくれる一夫に、和子は感謝した)?

Boy am I confused

Edit: I don’t think dates have been mentioned before this chapter… The earthquake and fire happened on the night of the 18th, and she got almost run over by a truck on the 19th? And she went back to the morning of the 18th, but thought it was the morning of the 19th because she thought the truck was a dream. My gosh this is confusing.

So…

As you said, the earthquake and fire happened on the night of 18th. Then the next morning she overslept and is almost hit by the truck. Because in the end it didn’t happen and she found herself in the bed again, she assumes that the truck was just a dream and it’s still 19th (aka a day after the earthquake).
Kazuko goes to school and meet Kazuo. Since she looks troubled Kazuo ask her what’s up, so she says that’s nothing and she just still feel a little shaky after “yesterday’s” events (aka earthquake and fire in Gorou’s house). When Gorou shows up in the classroom he ask him “is it true, that there was a fire yesterday?” (and he obviously freak out a little). Giving his reaction Kazuo panics a little and say “it’s not a joke, who would have told something like that. I must have misheard something. I’m glad.” And since he didn’t reveal it was Kazuko who told him this, she is glad for not being exposed.
(自分をかばってくれる一夫に, - Kazuo, who protects her
かばって - is from 庇う
和子は感謝した。 - Kazuko was thankful.)
Later on she notice the same math problem as “yesterday” and when she finally ask someone about the date it turns out it’s not 19th like she thought, but rather 18th (again!) So it kind of make sense that no one knew about the whole earthquake/fire stuff.

That came out rather long :sweat_smile:

3 Likes