日常 | Week 10 Discussion 🦌

I have to admit that I had seen the entire Anime series before reading the book. So while I didn’t know/understood every word or phrase that was in the Manga, I did have a general idea on how each scene would turn out, which did help a lot in understanding.

That being said I have to agree with you guys. It is quite difficult to read and understand, especially when there are a lot of colloquial, half cut of phrases sometimes. I am on rading “Yotsubato!” on and off on the side, and although it sometimes has similar issues (due to Yutsuba being a young child and therefore speaking like one) I found it much easier to understand.

But I might have not joined this club if I didn’t see the Anime before, so I am happy it turned out the way it did :wink: It was very enjoyable and the fact that we “met” every week to discuss questions and that there was an online vocab sheet to look up things really gave a much needed push to regularly read and examine the chapters. It was my first club and I had a lot of fun!

Thank you for the organization and management @Radish8 ! And thanks to all of you for being part of the journey and for your help with answering questions and just being there for fun and interesting conversations! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I chose to nominate City in the Intermediate Bookclub. It will be a while before the next vote but I’ll give everyone a heads up when it comes around!

3 Likes

I just got the 13 volumes of City in the mail yesterday. Only thing I noticed is that there is hardly any furigana in it. I guess you have to take off the training wheels eventually though :thinking:

2 Likes

It’s probably thanks to WK but I’ve found that furigana doesn’t have a huge impact on how easy something is to read, as long as you have a good method for looking up kanji when you don’t know the reading.

2 Likes

I agree, and knowing stroke order helps a lot for looking up radicals in the dictionary. I think too, if it takes longer to have to look up each kanji by radical that it reinforces it more. I was reading a few pages from a manga (Tales of Graces f Anthology) that I own on my tablet the other day and was able to recognize a good bit of it and after finishing up the first 日常 manga. Thanks to everyone here on these forums no doubt, reading is less of a headache and the sense of familiarity when you see a kanji that you’ve seen before is motivating too.