文豪ストレイドッグス わん! (Bungou Stray Dogs Wan!) – Volume 3

Sorry, sometimes I write pretty fast and don’t reread myself. Never knew it was a real name. After looking at the wiki it seems it’s more of a Irish name than a English one ha ha. I will be more careful next time.

Oh!! seems like 過ち means mistake, not instant. Confused it with something else. Thx for the help

2 Likes

Ooops, sorry, typical mistake of saying “English” when meaning “English-speaking country”, not “England”.
I generally try to be cautious about it, but it’s easy to slip. :sweat_smile:
And yes, since it comes from Irish language, I should definitely say Irish anyway.
It was just a shortcut in my mind for “name used in a place with English as one of the official languages”. :sweat:

Oh, it’s a relief that it doesn’t sound to everyone on the internet as a common name. :smiley:

2 Likes

Being from N. Ireland and having to write Aislin down sometimes I normally ask how that person spells it since there are a few ways to spell it. I’d say the ways I’ve come across most are the way you spell it for your username and Aisling. You can also put the fada over the second i so it would be Aislín which I think is the more correct way to do it since it marks the pronunciation.

It’s a fairly common name here :sweat_smile: it’s probably one of the more popular Irish names :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah… I wanted to say that it’s not a common name for me because I do not know lots of Irish people. But it’s seems it’s common in Irish.

2 Likes

^this. I said “doesn’t sound to everyone”, of course to some people it still will. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for your input, @DollyDaydream !

2 Likes

Week 4: Chapters 50-52 (3 chapters)
Start Date: January 25th
Previous Week : Week 3
Next Week: Week 5
Home Thread: Link

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading ahead
  • I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

@Whologist - you stopped voting in the poll, so I added a new option for you :smirk:

2 Likes

In other news, here’s my proposal about Volume 4 schedule. As usual, if anyone has any suggestions/requests, please say so in the comments! :slightly_smiling_face:

Schedule for Volume 4

Week Goal Start Date
One-week break February 8th
Week #1 Chapters 56-58 February 15th
Week #2 Chapters 59-61 February 22nd
Week #3 Chapters 62-64 March 1st
Week #4 Chapters 65-67 March 8th
Week #5 Chapters 68-70 March 15th
2 Likes

:flushed: :heart:

2 Likes
Chap 50

Being a long time since we saw Kenji as the main character in the story. He was right the frog was really cute. The mushroom though. They were there because it was the rainy season right? Kunikida did not grow them. I like to think Dazai just put them there to help Kenji.

Chap 51

I like the kindergarten story. The order of the drawing is still mixing me up. Only read the right side for 3 pages then read the left side. I don’t get that artistic choice.

Chap 52

The cleaning monster. I wish he does not come to my room.:eyes:
Is this an eternal dirty room? I’m surprised it not worse than it was.

Always the same people getting all the special things. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I-i bought Re: Zero for you! :joy:
No, but really, constant exposure to book club threads definitely raised my interest, so it is because of you :grinning:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect
And I’m really very thankful that you’re so consistent with your comments here each week :white_heart::white_heart::white_heart:

If I understood correctly, Dazai grew them and then moved them from his apartment to the office :mushroom:
Still, rainy season is scary :grimacing: I’m glad I only know it from fiction.

I have a problem with understanding what exactly Dazai did here. Why was the room so messy? Did he steal the sweets? And then… brought them back? I’m confused :exploding_head:

Yes, it was terrifying :scream: He’s happy living like this, he’s living alone, just let it go! I was especially sad when the face from the dirt on the wall got destroyed. :frowning_face:
@Whologist, as a sworn Kunikida fan, what did you think about this chapter?

1 Like

After I wrote my comment so no count :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It’s easy when you follow the schedule. I read then comments. It’s much harder when I am faster because I don’t have that will to share as much or can’t because I know what will happen or I forgot stuff. This is why I try to follow the schedule as much as I can. That and I experienced empty thread which are sad so…

Answer to Aislin

I lived through rainy season and it’s not scary. It’s just always raining for two weeks or so. Imagine a cloudy day when it can rain at any moment. Think about it for 2-3 weeks. That is rainy season.

Can I have a picture? I suppose you mean when the room was empty and they all wondered who did it. I’m not exactly sure what he did. He made a surprise. “You thought all the candy were stolen? It was me Dazai. It was a joke” or something. I think they said the candy were intact. I would like an explanation too is someone have it.

1 Like
Summary

Yes this \o/ :sparkles:
My uncle actually found a mushroom in his shower once in England… :thinking: Or at least claims to have.
So I guess it could be done maybe…

He just destroyed the room to scare all of them and give them a “surprise.” My guess is he did it so Ranpo could solve the mystery and they could all get along (Because Ranpo didn’t want to play with them originally lol)
BABY KUNIKIDA’S ANGY FACE THOUGH :pleading_face: :point_right: :point_left:

I love it :sob: :heart: It’s cute that he decided to come help a former detective clean and cook because he cares about him :pleading_face: I love how at the end he just immediately wrecks the room again, all his hard work :sob:

3 Likes
Summary

I don’t know. I’ve lived through some periods of constant rain for 2-3 weeks, but when I read about Japanese rainy season, people are always talking about mould. Food rotting, clothes rotting, furniture rotting. That’s what’s most scary for me. And this chapter supports these tales, because apparently these mushrooms were something realistic for characters, even if exaggerated for comedy purposes.

I guess that’s what confused me, because Ranpo was starting getting along with them anyway just before that.
wan

Thank you!

2 Likes

Week 5: Chapters 53-55+描き下ろし (4 chapters)
Start Date: February 1st
Previous Week : Week 4
Next Week: Volume 4 (February 15th)
Home Thread: Link

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m reading ahead
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

1 Like

I’ve read only 2 chapters so far, but that already generated a multiple questions, so I decided to divide my this-week’s-post into parts.

#53 - comments

This panel made me giggle. And it was so heart-warming. It’s good thing to be… qualified as a human :wink:
wan1

#54 - comments

… I was honestly worried about chapter focusing on “discovering Q’s gender”, but actually it had a pretty nice conclusion.

I also think it’s… interesting that Mafia’s HQ has 多目的トイレ.

By the way, non-binary protagonist of FukaBoku (next beginner book club’s pick) also uses 多目的トイレ because they don’t want to decide on either gendered one… and I have issues with that, because 多目的トイレ is supposed to be equipped with stuff useful for people in a wheelchair and similar, and it seems not right to snatch it away if you’re physically healthy, buuut I think that a discussion about that will be more fitting in FukaBoku book club. I just wanted to notice the same situation across two series and I guess rant a little about it :wink:

And also I wanted to comment on jisho’s definition of 甘党 - person who prefers sweet things to alcoholic drinks; person with a sweet tooth​
but… but… alcoholic drinks can also be sweet? :pleading_face:

#53 - questions
  1. Page 122 - I can’t find katakana word in any dictionary. It’s probably something stupid and obvious. :confounded:
    wan122b

2. Page 125 - I feel like I’m missing on a joke - why would anyone be offended because of this note? I understand Kunikida may feel embarrassed, but why he is drawn behind the bars? :astonished:

3. Page 129 - I don’t understand this panel at all - I just want to understand a joke (again), I don’t need word-by-word translation:

#54 - questions
  1. Page 136 - what kind of movies are 暑苦しい movies? I found a dictionary definition of 暑苦しい, but I don’t see how it fits to any movie genre.
    Google Images gives me some idea, I guess, but if anyone have some experience about usage of this word, please share :slightly_smiling_face:

2. Page 136 - I understand what 滅茶苦茶 and 充実 mean, but I can’t figure out what they mean together.
    wan136b

sigh at first I was hoping I was just tired but even after a rest I’m still confused.

1 Like

I didn’t see this until after I responded so ignore the random explaining you didn’t ask for :zipper_mouth_face: :heart:

…And I accidentally edited that into this post instead of making a new post and now my post is gone and I don’t know how to get it back…OOPS LMAO

Wait here it is

Summary

It’s 湿気る :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

“Kunikida’s daily life is senbei if you forgot to close the package and it got all soggy.”
Terrible translation but you get the point :rofl:

It said in the chapter that he’s going to a super secret meeting, and that no one can find out what’s talked about in it. So I guess saying he won’t lie and tell the truth makes it sound like he’ll spill their secrets.

今度は探偵社の広告にしてみたぞ - This time, I tried making our agency’s advertisement. (I assume this is what Dazai was supposed to be working on in the beginning)
武装探偵社の詳細を
About the Armed Detective Agency:

おしりになりたい方は
For those who are interested (おしりになる is the honorific form of 知る. お+verb stem+ になる)
こちらの番号まで XXX-XXXX-XXX
Please call XXX-XXXX-XXX
おしり also means butt so that’s why there’s butts everywhere I assume :laughing:
なんて国木田くん想いの私…
Honestly I could be wrong here but I think what he’s saying is
Did Kunikida do this on purpose, or am I imagining this…
Basically Dazai is reading it as “If you’d like to become a butt” because Kunikida didn’t use any kanji.
Dazai talks very informally so it’s difficult to tell but I think a regular version of this would be
なんで?国木田君か、想いの私か分からない。
Alternatively it could be translated as "Kunikida, why did you do this to me (Because you know I have a bad imagination.)
I hope that helps… :sweat_smile:

観てるだけで暑苦しい!キャラクターもストーリーもアツい!超絶暑苦しい映画10連発 | FILMAGA(フィルマガ)

I think I’d translate this as “They’re really enjoying that…”
Q is eating a crepe, which is considered a woman’s food. But they’re really enjoying it and 充実ing themselves, probably implying they’re stuffing their face. Which is something men are more likely to do. So I guess a less direct but more meaningful translation could be like “They’re stuffing their face though…”

I hope those help. Sorry if those are incorrect or not helpful |o/

2 Likes

The book is already finished? I will have to buy the next one then. I also need to buy other books so… good timing I guess.

Chap 53

Classic Dazai making jokes.

That was the joke. I was wondering why there was that kind of pamphlet there.

Chap 54

I was really wondering which gender he/she was. I knew they don’t say it in the anime either so the ending was obvious. But Q is so cute so I liked it.

Chap 54

The message Chuuya gave with the flower was really funny.

Epilogue

The one with the udon was in the anime this week. They really reordered it. The manga is longer so I prefer it.

2 Likes

It’s alright, I mean, I didn’t want anyone to spend too much time explaining this to me, but it’s not like it’s bad there’s an extra explanation :sweat_smile:

And I didn’t notice all this tragedy because it didn’t count as a new post, so I didn’t get a notification :sweat:
Yes, there is a history of all edits, thankfully. Or not thankfully if someone wants to hide something from posterity :sweat_smile:

Anyway, thank you very very very much! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

Reply to Whologist's explanation

Oh, I knew I was missing something! I thought that おしり seemed suspicious, but I couldn’t pinpoint what is the problem here.

Lol, I didn’t get the implication that “stuffing their face” is considered manly. :grin:

Once more - you were very very helpful!!! :bangbang:

2 Likes
Reply to icefang97 (#53 and #54 for now)

It’s always a relief when it’s not only me who didn’t get the joke. :sweat_smile:

There is a scene in Fifteen light novel where Dazai asks Mori about Q’s gender and Mori says he doesn’t remember and that he will check in the documents. (And since it’s a scene from the epilogue, there isn’t any follow up.)

And I’m still amazed about the fact that you find Q cute. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I think I’ll never get over it.

1 Like
Answer to Aislin

Is it though?

I mean look at him. Isn’t he precious? He looks so adorable with that little hat and his angelic smile. How can you tell me that is not cute. Ok fine he may have a slightly twisted personality but hey everyone has vice. 可愛いは正義だから許す。 Cmon don’t tell me you look at this picture and don’t find him adorable?
@Whologist you are with me on that one right? he his cute right? right~ :angry:

Btw I am saying he because he looks like a boy and the author on which he is based on his a guy. I easier to says he then he/she.

2 Likes