所 versus 場

Hello,

I have difficulties to isolate the meanings of 所 versus 場, and how WK is using the translation “place” for the former, and “location” for the later.

Based on the some japanese terms, it seems that 所 may be used for well-defined places (toilets 便所, kitchen 台所, etc).
場 seems to be for wider, outside, areas (airport 飛行場, factory 工場, farm 農場, etc) .

In such case, I would not use “location” to translate 場, as wikipedia defines “location” as a term to refer to well-defined spot/scene.

wiktionary writes:
“location: a particular point or place in physical space.”
and
“place: An area; somewhere within an area.”

Wikipedia writes " In geography, location and place are used to identify a point or an area on the Earth’s surface or elsewhere. The term location generally implies a higher degree of certainty than place , the latter often indicating an entity with an ambiguous boundary, relying more on human or social attributes of place identity and sense of place than on geometry."

At the end of day, should I be concerned that I get the “place/location” reviews wrong 50% of the time?
Should I memorize the exact WK definition, or is it rather something that WK needs to correct?

1 Like

I’m not sure what the situation is with synonyms for both, but arguing that either “place” or “location” is an incorrect English gloss for either would require some bending over backwards.

One of the definitions for 場 here is ところ

So they absolutely overlap.

13 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.