Join the Beginner Book Club here!

少女終末旅行 home thread

Volume 4

Previous Volume: Volume 3
Next Volume: Volume 5

Vocabulary List

Spreadsheet

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current volume and any content in future volumes.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn!
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!
1 Like
Art question with spoiler for the end of the volume (p. 148)

I know that it will probably take a while for others to get here, but I would like to ask this question anyways. Ever since I saw this picture

I have the impression that the idea for this is taken from some famous piece of art…
But I could not identify it yet. (I keep thinking it’s in a painting from Art Deco era, but no idea whether this is at all related.)
So if anybody happens to know if there actually is a reference to a real painting, I’d be more than happy to hear about it.

Three words

what the frick

The mushroom people kinda remind me of Yokohama Shopping Trip in a way, but yeah, this volume got kinda weird. And a little dark.

1 Like

Finally reached this volume yey~ /o/

1 Like

You… you didn’t confuse this manga with Chii’s Sweet Home just because they both have a character named Chii, did you?

1 Like

I have been unable to figure out what the following dialogue means:

Page 103

二人で回すのキツすぎる

In particular, I have no idea what 回す would mean in this context, since the conversation seems to be centered around ヌコ trying to eat them both…

Can someone give me a paw please…?

I don’t have the book on me, so I’m lacking context, but I’d say it’s “It’s too hard to turn [the kettenkrad?] with two people”. (Or Nuko would be too full to turn around with two people in his stomach? Dunno. If I remember, I’ll check when I get home. :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

Oh, context.

Well, the English version has gone with “The two of us aren’t enough to keep it going.”

1 Like

Hmmm interesting, so this basically means that even if ヌコ ate them both, it wouldn’t be enough for it? (though using 回す for that feels a bit strange) Or what exactly does “it” refer to?

“It” being Yuu’s comment of “It’s that food chain thing, right? The food chain.” “Can’t keep it going” here means “a food chain is a complex biological network that can’t be sustained by only having two individuals”.

Or that’s how I read it, anyway. (I don’t actually have the Japanese version for a direct comparison, mind…)

1 Like

Oh, that makes a lot of sense! Thank you for the help!

In case someone finds it useful in the future, this is my best attempt at figuring out the dialogues in the scene of pages 132-133:

Meow~

From left to right (without Chi / Yuu’s dialogues, since those are readable)

この種は生産設備に対しあるプログラムを注入する事により強制的自らを増産します

(This can inject certain programs into manufacturing equipment, forcing the production of more of itself) #virusRobots

このような複雑なプロセスが変異と淘汰で生まれることは考えづらく

(It is hard to think that this complicated process would be born from variation and selection)

え、ちょっとまって

(hey, wait a second)

そこは進化でいいよねって事になったじゃん!人の設計にしては利己的すぎるって

(It’s come to the point where it would be okay to call it “evolution”, right!? To say it is human design is too self-serving)

あれ…そうだっけ…?

(Eh… is that so…?)

そこ大事なコトじゃん!

(That’s the important part!)

…あの…私おなかすいた

(…hey… I’m hungry)

…今⁉

(… now!?)

ほらみどりーパパだぞー

(Look, Midori, it is papa~)

パパの事嫌いっていってるよ

(She’s is saying that she hates papa)

じゃあもう一度意見調整してから報告するということで

(Then, after we reconcile our opinions once again, we will report back.)

言ってないだろそんな事

(I didn’t say such a thing)

ほらパパのせいだよー

(Hey, it is papa’s fault~)

というわけでポテトを買ってきました…

(And for that reason, I bought this french fries…)

あんたってさー意外と食い意地

(Surprisingly, you are a glutton)

6 Likes