☕ 夜カフェ 2 ☕ Offshoot Book Club Chapter 1 Discussion Thread

The first half (up to about page 20 or so in the paperback version) is mostly Hanabi recollecting all of her experiences and people she met in book 1 so that was a pretty fast read. We also get to see some of Hanabi’s bad habits she still needs to work on like oversleeping and spacing out. Still a cutesy way of reintroducing the protagonist of the series while summarizing the last book.

From page 14, we meet a new character, Ryoma, a deliveryboy who supplies the Yoru Cafe with vegetables that his family grows. He’s the opposite of Yamato in that he’s very outspoken and blunt. He seems like a good match for the fiery Tina.

My favorite exchange in this chapter is on page 21 when Hanabi prepared the hand towel for Ryoma. He comments on how she seems to have more sense than he originally thought (considering she was just standing in the doorway when he was trying to get her to help him lug the vegetables in before). Although I think his comment kind of backfired because he said it in such a straightforward way that it doesn’t sound like a compliment.

But rather than pay attention to the comment, Hanabi is more concerned about how she doesn’t have much of a presence because it surprised him when he realized she was right next to him all of a sudden. Not to mention, she starts to feel a bit down on herself when she thinks about the meaning of her name (referring to toy sparklers which aren’t as strong as real fireworks, suggesting she is as inadequate as she believes herself to be since book 1). Although she’s grown a bit, she’s still not 100% confident in herself.

Speculations based on chapter 1 events

So we have a new male character similar in personality to Tina (while Yamato is more similar to Hanabi in that they both are on the quieter side and keep their thoughts to themselves). Based on how a lot of these slice of life pieces go with some romance to keep things interesting, I predict Ryoma will be Tina’s romantic interest while Yamato is currently Hanabi’s (and Tina is fairly aware of it). The author might even throw a love triangle in this book if Ryoma shows interest towards Hanabi which would cause a falling out between her and Tina as well. I’m sure it’ll be fine but I just hope it doesn’t get too needlessly dramatic. :sweat_smile:

But if Hanabi and Yamato were the ones who grew the most in the last book, I feel like Tina and Ryoma will get their turn in this one. I’m interested to see more on what kind of character Ryoma is and if he has some kind of personal difficulties with his family or friends considering everyone associated with the Yoru Cafe seems to have those experiences.

Does anyone predict something different? Is there something you want to see happen in this book?

1 Like