地縛少年花子くん | Week 6 Discussion 🚽

Chapter 5: ミサキ階段 其の二

Pages 149 - 176

Start Date: 14th August
Last Week: Chapter 4

トイレの花子さん Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this point yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

1 Like

There will be some polls about the book as a whole at the end of this week :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh man it really ended on a cliffhanger. Bummer. I still don’t know whether I’d commit to a full offshoot club but I’d definitely stick around for at least one more volume.

3 Likes

Yeah, what a cliffhanger to end on

Interesting chapter overall - don’t think there was anything big I feel like I needed explanation on at least

Also I’d certainly be interested in another volume to see where this arc is going

1 Like

In case anyone’s curious this arc goes on for 2 more chapters in the 2nd volume. The 2nd volume also has a breather chapter and then ends on a mini arc with no cliffhangers.
The 3rd volume has the second major story arc and ends on a breather chapter that than connects to a mini arc in volume 4.
Volume 4 also has the third major story arc. I won’t comment on volume 4 other than saying that was the point of no return for me.

2 Likes

By point of no return do you mean… A good thing like, the series won you over or a bad thing like, you abandoned it? Or something else… lol

2 Likes

It was the point where I realized there was no way that I could stop reading. It was the point where I decided I’d have to buy all 9 remaining volumes (and i did plus 3 more hanako related books that include an amazing artbook). So yes it won me over so hard at that point.

3 Likes

Ok. You were pretty convincing! Here’s the result :grinning:

2 Likes

:joy::joy: That’s extremely fast

This is my collection of Hanako. For some reason i actually have 2 copies of 放課後少年花子くん and vol 14

4 Likes

So what happens now that the book is over? Do we just transition over to the next book? Is there a grace period?

I also want to know what everyone thought of the first volume? I did reccomed the book saying the art was amazing and the Japanese used was relatively simple and that the story is really good, but i said all that knowing what happens later on in the series. I was wondering what you all thought as first time readers.

As a first volume it’s a bit slow because it has to go through all the character introductions and world building which slows down the pace but is essential in the long run.

For myself, i think my first impression on reading Hanako is that it’s adorable. I don’t know about you but the scene where Yashiro pretends her ‘melons’ got bigger by stuffing them made me giggle. And Hanako’s sometimes sadistic sometimes mischievous sometimes kind personality was really fun.

4 Likes

I initially really liked the art style. The character designs and expressions were adorable and had me laughing to myself on more than one occasion. I knew nothing about the series and therefore had no idea what to expect going in. It started off strong, but after ~chapter 3 I started to lose interest because I thought it was just going to be episodic fights every chapter. The dense anime dialects also slowed things down a lot for me so I felt like I was getting less enjoyment for the effort I was putting in.

That being said the last couple chapters have started to pull me back in. That in conjunction with what you’ve said has definitely intrigued me enough to keep reading through at least one more volume before deciding whether to commit to the series. I’m committed to a few other bookclubs right now so I’m a bit limited in how much more I can take on.

I imagine @Radish8 will post some polls soon about peoples’ impressions and gauge interest in an offshoot club. Then if we continue we’ll probably start next week.

3 Likes

I figure I’ll chime in here with some polls before everyone goes their separate ways.

Would you participate in an offshoot club?

• Definitely! I’m on board for the whole series.
  • I’ll read at least one more volume and decide whether to continue from there.
  • I plan on continuing this series on my own time.
  • I don’t intend to continue reading this series.

0 voters

If we were to start an offshoot club, when should we start?

• This week. Let’s go!
  • Next week
  • Later (please specify in a comment)

0 voters

1 Like

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem like there’s enough interest to continue as a book club, so I’ll probably just plan on continuing reading on my own time. Thanks to everybody who participated!

1 Like

Maybe not a formal structured book club but maybe a thread for those who are planning to read and maybe need a place to discuss the material and share their thoughts. We can create a thread for each volume and have it be there for when its needed, or maybe that’s just a half-baked idea i don’t know :sweat_smile:

Incidentally volume 16 comes out September 27th in case anyone decides to binge read like i did.

1 Like

If you set up a thread for volume 2 I’ll stop by! Might be a week or so before I can start though–I got a bit behind in studying this past week and I also feel the need to finally get across the WK finish line.

1 Like

Likewise, I’ll probably drop in if there’s a thread for it

Yeah sure I’ll set up a thread and post it when its ready.

1 Like

Here’s the thread for volume 2

2 Likes