地球星人 🌏 Book Club

Nope, this isn’t a typo. The paperback has chapter 1 ending on page 47. Thanks for checking though.

1 Like

I’ve seen there’s been some concern over spoilers in the weekly discussions. If you accidentally post a spoiler it’s no big deal, just fix it promptly if it gets called out and strive to use appropriate tags going forward.

I absolutely do not want to dilute discussion by discouraging any types of connections or predictions in responses, so please follow these spoiler guidelines from now on.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) need to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as such.
10 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. Is there a way that this can go on the original post at the top (and even Week 1) so that people new to the book club know what to do?

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ll throw it in the home post as well as the weeklys.

Thank you so much!

Here’s week four! What a week. Even just going through the English version skimming for discussion questions…

4 Likes

Can’t wait!

3 Likes

Merry Christmas! I hope everybody’s enjoying some Christmas cakes and KFC.

Use this week’s break as a time to catch up, get ahead, or just enjoy some down time with friends and family.

For those who can’t bear the thought of a week without Murata, her Love Letter to a Convenience Store makes for a quick and delightfully strange read.

8 Likes

And we’re back! I hope everybody had a lovely holiday.

I noticed that there was a membership drop-off from week three to week four, which was surprising considering the first-week drop-off was shockingly low and the number was rock-steady going from week two to three. Out of curiosity, for anyone who’s no longer reading with us, was this due to pace or content?

4 Likes

I’m still following along. Wasn’t aware that there were polls for each week. Anyways, I’ll try to contribute to more discussions here soon. Life has just been insanely busy since this book club started.

7 Likes

Glad you’re still with us! And no pressure to post, even just clicking in the polls is good contribution.

Also, welcome to the forums!

4 Likes

Appreciate it!

3 Likes

After over 3 months of waiting and a lot of postal service nonsense my copy has finally arrived :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: Can’t wait to finally start reading, let’s see if I can catch up with you guys! :muscle:

7 Likes

Normally the book club polls look like this except a third of the members are catching up instead of reading ahead :joy:

Anyway, here’s Week 6!

And welcome @NyappyTiramisu and @softlyraining, I hope you manage to catch up. Here’s some motivation from the week five thread:

9 Likes

You guys… :rofl:

My personal opinion on reading ahead is that it hurts discussion a bit. If I’m ahead I find that I often can’t participate in some discussion (e.g. speculation) because my opinions become biased. I’m also much more likely to post reactions when the reading is fresh in my head as opposed to a few weeks later when the thread is posted. I’m actually a little bummed that I’ve read the book before in English.That being said, this might not be too big of a problem for most people and it’s ultimately up to the individual how they want to approach it.

I will admit I got ahead on a lot of reading during the holidays because I had more time than expected and wanted a bit of a buffer for when things got hectic again.

I’ve changed the polling options to be a bit more comprehensive and hopefully more clear.

Anyway, here’s Week 7!

10 Likes

Phew, I’m actually caught up, that was a lot quicker than expected :joy: I really see why no one can put this book down, it’s such a page turner!

I definitely agree with your points, I’m much less likely to participate in the discussion if I’ve already read ahead. But even though I really enjoy reading everyone’s discussions and speculations in real time, with this book I feel like I have to abandon the schedule. This story gets so dark, I really don’t want to carry it around with me for another two months until everything is resolved :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

That was my main motivation with this book as well.

4 Likes

I did an order from Amazon JP and added the physical copy of the book and they just packed it all in a thin paper bag. Even had a hole in it, but fortunately nothing was missing. The book however got damaged, looks somewhat battered now. :frowning:

2 Likes

Sorry everyone, might be a day late with this week’s thread!

5 Likes

Sorry for the delay, it’s been a hectic week. Here’s Week 8!

5 Likes