君の膵臓をたべたい (I Want to Eat Your Pancreas) Book Discussion

Update: I’ve just read the prologue (which is like only a couple pages long, but still, gonna have to get ready for work in a second) and it’s the cutest thing already! I love the way it’s written and just the right amount of detail (from what i can pick up anyway).

I’m super excited now. Okay. Rant over. I shall return when I have read more than 3 pages

2 Likes

Cute would be the last thing I would describe the prologue as, lol.

1 Like

Well yeah, I suppose cute isn’t quite the right word. Maybe it’s more like: the book seems to be cute xD I don’t know how to explain it. Obviously the prologue itself isn’t cute it’s a funeral, they rarely are , but how he explains what she means to him and their relationship to each other is super cute, if also super sad . Maybe I’m just too excited and it makes me see everything through pink glasses :joy:

Also I’m enjoying those spoiler things way too much :rofl::rofl:

Forgot to do my chapter thoughts for a while
The feels overwhelm me.

Finished Chapter 7!

My Thoughts

:frowning_face:

I’m nearing the end, oh gosh, oh gosh.

2 Likes

Oh wow! I think I’m lost somewhere in chapter 1 still… wait, Chapter 7 is near the end? No wonder this chapter never ends

Chapter 1-8 are like 30ish pages each (except 4 which is a whopping 70.) But Chapter 9 and 10 are really short. Chapter 10 is only 9 pages long.

1 Like

After reading 君たちはどう生きるか and 時をかける少女 with audio and paper book simltaneously to some success, I read a mystery novel called プリズム the same way last week. Though I do need to go back and review vocab from that.

I picked this up today (audio and paper).

9 Likes

What benefit do you feel that you’re getting from listening to the audio simultaneously? Does it help keep your reading speed up or let you better connect the Kanji to their readings or something?

2 Likes

It forces me to push forward and keep up. I can still mark words to come back to, but I don’t get stuck being tempted to stop. So, I end up consuming more content per block of time than I otherwise would.

Did I understand everything in プリズム? No. Can I even claim to have solved the mystery on my own? No. But I know the whole plot of the book in the general sense. The fact that I didn’t know the readings for some words didn’t stop me or slow me down. And I finished it in about 4 days.

5 Likes

Ah I see. That’s a smart idea.

That’s pretty much my goal towards Japanese books for right now, too. My weak point is when the dialogue starts getting philosophical and the characters play with grammar that’s when I start getting lost. But if I can come out of a conversation generally understanding what each character’s emotions are toward each other, then I’m satisfied and move on.

3 Likes

Also, プリズム pulled a fast one on me. I won’t spoil it if anyone wants to read it (though it’s just a book I almost randomly chose, so I don’t have any real reason to think it would be that popular), but the narrator is a 5th grade boy and that determines to a large extent the level of the Japanese, but it turns out that each “scene” in the book, of which their are 4, is narrated by a different character. So it got more difficult to read as time went.

EDIT: And, can I just say… having different voices for each character in the book makes it SO much easier to tell who is talking when it doesn’t indicate who said a particular line. This is usually not a problem at the start of a section, because they give some insight into who says a first line and then you know the flow of the back and forth, but when you have to stop in the middle of a long conversation it can be a little bit tough to get back into the flow when you start again.

3 Likes

Well, I’m finally in! Currently reading chapter 1. I’ll go back and read people’s comments before adding mine :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I finished the book!

I have many thoughts about it. Especially Chapter 7 and 8 but I’m currently traveling and I hate typing long posts on these forums on mobile, so I’m just gonna jot down my feelings and write everything when I get back in two days.

8 Likes

Well, I made it to chapter 4 and your warning of 70 pages scared me away…At least I can give up on catching up to you now :upside_down_face::turtle::laughing:

5 Likes

Yeah I predetermine how long the chapter is so I can base my page goals. 70 pages seemed pretting daunting but I focused on the page goal.

This book had around 30 page chapters so I considered 30 my daily goal. I tried to read 2-3 times a day so my mini goal was 10-15 pages. I treated those pages as “chapters”.

Chapter 4 took me 2 days to read through my goal. Other than the length it really isn’t a hard chapter. And the latter half is really fun to read! Probably the most lighthearted part of the book.

5 Likes

I’m finishing chapter 2 now. You could make it your goal to finish before I catch up :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’m part of the way through chapter 3 and it’s been a slog so far. I think I just don’t like this kind of protagonist. I have to agree with him that he’s not interesting.

5 Likes

Brutal :joy:

5 Likes

… it’s true, though.

On a similar note, I was just thinking that his only redeeming feature for her is that he isn’t freaked out by her situation. (Chapter 4 spoiler) The only time (so far?) he talks about his interests, she gets bored to death. if, by miracle, she had recovered (the prologue being very clear that she doesn’t), she would have lost any reason to stick with him, and he probably wouldn’t care anyway.

That being said, I do enjoy the writing, and I am having a good time so far.

4 Likes

(Chapter 4) Alcohol + truth or dare. With two teenagers in an hotel room. I can’t see how that could go horribly wrong.

4 Likes