先ず alternate mnemonic

Anyone have an alternate mnemonic for 先ず? I’ll try a silly one…

First of all, I’ll share my experience of trying to remember this. To begin with, I look at the kanji and try to remember if it’s previous or past. For some reason, these two kanji were previously wired wrong in my brain, so I guess it means previous.

So, to start with, I try to navigate this mental maze.

Firstly, I wonder what the ず means. I remember going to a previous zoo when I was a kid, and there was even a maze of people waiting to get in. Then it dawns on me!!

If I want to get into the ず (like I did previously), I have to buy a ticket. But there’s always a long line, so first of all I have to wait in the maze.

Whew… that was long… but I’ll probably remember it now :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Damn…this is just one of those words I always remember and you have a whole tale for a mnemonic.

4 Likes

I can picture the little ‘hint’ bubble now:

Imagine trying to find your way through the people maze. What’s inside the previous zoo that everyone wants to see? The more outrageous it is, the better you’ll remember, so make it as silly as you’d like!

1 Like

Haha, yeah, I’ve been watching a lot of 三本塾 and he says 先ずは a lot. Plus, I think it’s usually written in Hiragana anyway.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.