佐賀のがばいばあちゃん 👵🏼 (Intermediate Book Club)

Here is Week 3! Don’t forget that this week we are reading two chapters in one week - chapters 3 + 4! Enjoy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Let’s move on to Week 4! It’s again 2 chapters this week, so please make sure you read them both :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

On to week 5:

Also, I wanted to ask about the schedule. Initially I wanted to ask after week 6, but I realized that we need to vote for the next book soon if we want to stick with the short schedule, therefore I’ll ask right now.

Schedule discussion

The past week (week 4) was almost the longest week we will encounter if we stick with the fast 10-week-schedule. (Weeks 8 and 10 will be sliiightly longer but only by about 1.5 pages).
We still have a good number of participants, and only very few readers say that they are still catching up, which indicates to me that the club’s reading speed is probably quite okay. Still I’d like to ask, therefore everybody please answer the poll:

Which schedule would you prefer going forward?

• 10-week schedule
  • 11-week schedule
  • 12-week schedule
0 voters

As a reminder, here are the two alternative options (they only differ from week 7):

10 weeks:

Week Chapters Pages
Week 7 Chapter 10, 11 21.5
Week 8 Chapter 12, 13 23.5
Week 9 Chapter 14, 15 19
Week 10 Chapter 16, 17, あとがき x 2 23.5

11 weeks:

Week Chapters Pages
Week 7 10 14
Week 8 11, 12 20.5
Week 9 13, 14 18
Week 10 15, 16 22
Week 11 17, 18 13

12 weeks:

Week Chapters Pages
Week 7 10 14
Week 8 11, 12 20.5
Week 9 13, 14 18
Week 10 15 11.5
Week 11 16 10.5
Week 12 17, 18 13
3 Likes

Thanks to everybody who voted! Almost everybody was in favor of the 10-week-schedule so I decided to go with that (sorry @PetiteChose I hope you are okay with trailing behind a little bit if you cannot keep up the pace? :sweat_smile:)

4 Likes

No worries ! I should be okay ^^ It’s just that May is going to be quite hectic for me but in the worst case I will finish one week late. That’s good that people are motivated ! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Got the book and read the 1st chapter so I’m going to try to catch up with the bookclub, which might prove to be a bad idea considering I’m half-of-the-book late and tend to get busy but :see_no_evil:

10 Likes

Also a late starter but got some travel and time off so maybe I’ll catch up…!

4 Likes

Welcome to Week 6!

This week is the shortest of the remaining weeks, so if you need to catch up a little bit, here is your chance :grin:

Also please keep in mind that we are only reading one chapter this week. Have fun!

3 Likes

Here’s week 7, and we are back to our usual rhythm of two chapters per week! (This will be the same for all weeks going forward, by the way)

3 Likes

Welcome to week 8!

3 Likes

I just received the French Manga version of our book (new edition from May 2022):

10 Likes

Nice! This prompted me to look up the manga on Bookwalker. Looking at the sample, it was nice to see some of the scenes we’ve already read about come to life. I’d love to see a couple of sample pages from your book. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The manga has a lot more scenes than our book.
Here is the chicken scene, the day of the sports festival.

9 Likes

The drawing is so cute ! It makes me want to get it

3 Likes

I’m only on chapter 2, so I’m the same boat!!
Chapter 3, now :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

The penultimate week is here!

Unfortunately I spent all my edits today (and yesterday…) for moving my existing book club threads, so the OP needs to wait until tomorrow or so… :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Wow, those are limited? That’s crazy!

Also, are we supposed to move old book clubs threads ourselves…?

4 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, the notification was lost in you-know-what…

Yeah, I thought so too…

I don’t think we were supposed to, but the mods of course did not catch the older club threads, and so some people started out, and then it somehow spiralled off…

5 Likes

I found the thread where the big move was organised when I went looking for a place to complain about the you-know-what, so I guess the you-know-what giveth and the you-know-what taketh away!

4 Likes

Finally we are entering the final week! :grin:
Props to all of you who have made it this far! Next week you’ll be rewarded by the book survey :slight_smile:

5 Likes