伝える conjugation

Hello.
While reading the reading part of the 伝える verb I was wondering something.

The sentence is:
お父様とお母様にも、よろしくお伝えくださいね.
Please tell your mother and father I send my regards.

However, the て-form of 伝える is 伝えて.

Based on this assumption, the sentence should be:

お父様とお母様にも、よろしくお伝えくださいね.

Am I wrong? If yes, could you explain why?

(Sorry for my poor English).

It’s not using the て form. It’s using a polite form where you use the nominalized form and then put お in front of it. Then ください comes directly after.

For example:
少々お待ちください
“Please wait a moment”

It’s polite Japanese.

This is how you’ll often hear employees speak. It is also often used on signs.

8 Likes

What do you mean by the nominalized form?
Is it the noun related to the verb?

If so, is it is the same use as the regular -form? You said it was used as polite Japanese but as far as I know, the -form is also a polite form (as long as it is followed by ください or くれ or ちょうだい.

少々お待ちください is the nominalized form of 少々待ってください right? In one case we use the noun to express a request in the other case we also express a request by using the accurate noun?

If I am wrong, could you redirect me to the nominalized form construction explanations?

It’s more polite. The て form plus ください is just “normal” politeness, like to a stranger or peer. Here, you can read about honorific Japanese here. There are plenty of examples using this construction.

The nominalized form he’s talking about is the same as the ~ます stem of verbs, incidentally (which isn’t really explained on that page). 待つ (verb, to wait) → 待ち (noun describing the act of waiting). Sometimes, depending on the verb, these are also just used as nouns in their own right, but it’s not universal. I think. Could be wrong since I’ve never actually been taught this.

It’s mentioned there as 連用形, but I didn’t want to complicate it too much. Yes, it’s the ます form.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.