中・上級日本語教科書 日本への招待 テキスト Thoughts?

Hi all, I’ve seen 中・上級日本語教科書 日本への招待 テキストcited in some posts around wanikani and I’d like to know what wanikanj users’ thoughts are about this and the advanced book from this series.
I’m finishing Tobira (and I’m loving it) and I’m trying to pick a new textbook to get to N2/N1. I know Quartet II is rated as a N2 book but I’ve also read good reviews (albeit short hence my questions) about the 中・上級日本語教科書 日本への招待 series. Are the first hand users who can tell me their experience with this book? Does it use grammar explanations in English or it is an all Japanese book?

I’ve never used the book you’re asking about, but something to keep in mind with Quartet is that it’s leveling is weird. The thing is, it’s not meant to be a JLPT book. It tries to correspond more with a CEFR style, holistic approach to language. This is demonstrated in the way that each chapter is broken up into reading, writing, speaking, and listening. As a result it doesn’t fit super neatly into JLPT categories. The authors pull grammar points from N3-N1 based on what they think it’d be useful for learners to know, not what’s likely to appear on the test

Quartet claims that the two books combined will bring you to B1 level Japanese (the authors then go on to say that B1 is approximately equivalent to N1, which lmao sick burn to the JLPT since B1 is early intermediate).

I think Quartet is a really great series and I especially recommend it to people who want to improve their writing and reading comprehension abilities. I don’t recommend it though to people who want a JLPT-centric book that’s packed to the brim with grammar points. I’m not sure if doing Quartet after Tobira would make sense. I’ve never looked at Tobira, so I really don’t know

After Tobira, I might recommend the Quartet series since Tobira a F-Tier grammar method (JuSt pUT thEm AlL aT tHE EnD!). After that you really gotta get off the text books. Maybe you can do flashcards or something but at this point it’s time to start looking things up as they come up or finding where your weakspots are and revising.

I kind of look at the Japanese learning community as a hivemind so if I haven’t heard of something it probably isn’t worth my time.

I’d use it as a textbook, since I don’t plan on taking the JLPT soon :eyes:

I’m reading Japanese books and all but I like to study regular textbooks also…I think they speed up my grammar and reading comprehension knowledge :thinking:

1 Like

I get that. Well it wouldn’t hurt to just get it I guess

1 Like

I used 上級へのとびら in university and hated every second of it. In a different class, my professor had us read and translate the 天声人語 section of the newspaper every week and that helped enormously with closing the gap between intermediate and advanced Japanese, enough to pass the JLPT N2.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.