ロウェナの学習ログ・(Rowena's Study Log)

:fearful:

I can only hope there is some karmic comeuppance for such price gougers.

Here’s hoping new Workbook 2 arrives before you need it - how quickly are you working through WB1?

2 Likes

Fairly quickly! I’ve been trying to do a lesson a day and review lessons on the weekends. I just started Japanese at the start of the quarantine! And same for WaniKani! It’s really keeping my brain from spiraling, lol.

3 Likes

Better late than never…

Several things have seriously interrupted my studies over the last seven days, including but not limited to:

Housing a stray/lost kitten in the study

(i.e. separated from my cats and dogs) for the weekend until the rangers could pick her up on Monday, making it very hard to sit comfortably in front of the computer and impossible to get to the scanner.

Gale-force winds knocking over much of one of our side fences

leading me to spend hours on the phone and internet making claims, hiring temporary fencing, contacting fencing contractors, etc. I will now have hours of additional work in the garden to do, as this type of fencing is no longer available, so the whole fence line will have to be replaced, including new footings.

Anyway, the rest of this week is devoted to finishing off last week’s work and getting caught back up with わんわん探偵団 - I’ll not be doing any WK lessons this week to give me more time for the book club.

8 Likes

Sounds like you’ve had quite a week!

2 Likes

:fire:I burned 37 items today :fire: - I’m a bit stunned that it would be so many items in one day considering I’ve only been learning 11 items a day since last August??

9 Likes

Well, after spending time today prepping next week’s schedule and forward planning for the rest of this quarter (since I’ve had some gaps), I have realised that I really need to be taking advantage of the clear, cool, calm weather predicted through to Thursday to get about 8 hrs/day of work done in the garden so that our fences can be replaced.

To that end, I will continue without lessons, and will only study once a day, in the evening, to do all available reviews and bookclub studies.

5 Likes

注意(CAUTION): Awkward Back-flip Ahead :woman_cartwheeling:

So, it turns out that, after putting in an 8 hour day in the garden yesterday with the chainsaw and line trimmer/strimmer/weed-whacker as well as much lifting, bending, hauling, pulling, and kneeling, my body ain’t used to that much gardening! I am absolutely knackered, but did get the yard sufficiently prepped for this morning’s temp-fencing delivery and installation.

All this to say that, since I’ll be reducing my gardening to 4-5 hours (at least until my body becomes accustomed to it), I will be able to fit that between my late morning and evening study sessions, so studies are to resume as planned. Here’s the schedule I made earlier:

4 Likes

SOS! I ordered the second volume a second time, and it STILL came without an answer key! All searching on the internet has led to naught, and also a bogus website that led to me getting a new debit card in the mail facepalm I don’t know if you’d feel comfortable scanning the answer book and sending to me, but that’s the only way I can think of getting it without having to buy ANOTHER copy. If you have other ideas, please let me know! I’m on the last lesson of the first book and I don’t want to have to halt study plans.

2 Likes

don’t I know the pain of that discovery :joy:

2 Likes

It turns out I was even more knackered than I though &/or I was fighting off a virus (not the news-making one), 'cause the first two days of last week were a write-off, as were most other early mornings, so I only got 1 lesson session in and I chose to drop the time-consuming kanji book in favour of more lessons in the kanji workbook.

As an amusing and nostalgic aside, this wee picture in the kanji workbook

left me with a strong urge to watch this video which brought much gladness to my heart.

It’s been bothering my hyperorganised mind for a while that I’m not on the same lesson number in my kanji and grammar books, so I will continue this week as well doing kanji workbook only.

I have added BishBashBosh as a leech-training alternative to my late-morning studies - thanks very much to Radish8 for introducing us to it :hugs:.

Here’s next week’s study plan:

6 Likes

For me I am reading Yotsuba JUST to practice my japanese reading
Whatever random words i catch that are familiar to me (like tsugei, some random japanese numbers days and months, seasons, colours etc) are a bonus. :smiley:

Its just that i wanted to increase my fluency in reading japanese, and i keep an english translation of yotsuba near me just to compare my understanding (very general understanding) of the text to its real translation

Yotsuba is rlly cute tho hehe

3 Likes

Good choice! And don’t forget we have a Yotsuba reading club! Currently reading volume 13!

4 Likes

Cooool!!!
Thnx for letting me know :wink:

3 Likes

There’s the source of the confusion (that and me not looking at your photo properly) - sorry that the confusion led you to buy a second copy of the book when you didn’t need to.

Here’s the Kanji section of the Japanese Language category if you need help at any point.

1 Like

I’ve just levelled up to 23 after my late-morning review session (which is testimony to my more-haphazard studies of late; I usually level up after the evening session).

It took decidedly longer than I would like, but less than half the time of the level before, so I’ll take it as an improvement.

Annotation 2020-05-18 121124

6 Likes

I’m once again having trouble sleeping and so am missing my morning study session which means I only did lessons twice last week, as well as missing the first session of this new week - this has to change!

I had intended to go back and essentially re-do the first case in にゃんにゃん探偵団2 during this week’s break from reading わんわん探偵団, but will allow myself to take it as an actual break; if I find I’m doing better, I will simply reread the case we just finished.

This week will see me finally finish the first Basic Kanji book (which I first started in about 1999). Woohoo!

This week’s study plan:

6 Likes

I just finished the last unit of my Basic Kanji Book Vol 1. :tada: I’ll be starting the bright, shiny, new(ish) Vol 2. from Monday.

5 Likes

This last week was another unsuccessful one as far as lessons go - only two sessions, but that includes this morning so I hope I’m on an upward trend.

I’m looking forward to reading the beginning of the second わんわん探偵団 case tonight.

Next week’s plan:

3 Likes

The past week has seen an improvement in my being in a decent state to do lessons, only missing one session on Thursday morning, so I should be finishing all the kanji for level 23 this week and should level up early next week.

The first few pages of the second case in わんわん探偵団 seemed rather more difficult than what had preceded it, but I also got to see several newish vocab items learned in WK, and I always love when that reinforcement happens :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The audio for my Shin Nihongo no Kiso textbook has noticeably sped up in the last few lessons - it’s getting tricky to get my mouth around it all, but I can usually still understand it.

Next week’s plan:

5 Likes

Another week of bad sleep hygiene saw me only do 3 batches of lessons, but I should be levelling up today.

I’ve added typing practice to my schedule - QWERTY for now, but I have a Dvorak keyboard on order, so will be learning that over the next few months as well.

This week’s plan:

3 Likes