ロウェナの学習ログ・(Rowena's Study Log)

I am still not sleeping well, so still not getting to the computer in decent time to do lessons without causing me to stay up late to get them to Apprentice 3 that day. If I am ever going to get back to a 13 - 14 day level-up time, I need to exercise more to be properly tired, and I need to eat earlier so my body is ready to rest, not digest.

Tomorrow is the start of a new quarter, and here is the quarterly plan for my book studies:

Next week’s plan:

7 Likes

This does not bode well - week 1 of the new quarter, and I’m declaring it a bust! I’ll do this week’s readings for the book club, but just about all of this week’s book work will be shunted to next week instead.

I may take the extra time that will give me over the weekend to overhaul the OP since it is seriously outdated.

3 Likes

I’m not going to let the fact that I am posting this about 36 hours late determine the mood for the rest of the week. I am going to get on top of my poor sleep hygiene (I pulled the summer quilt out about an hour ago to replace the too-warm winter quilt :snowflake: it is winter here).

This week’s plan, including leftovers from yesterday:

6 Likes

I skipped posting here last week because I still hadn’t finished the text and workbook sections from the week before; after three weeks, I finally get to move on to section 28 in both books!

I am still having great trouble getting up in the morning for lessons; so much so that I have toyed with the idea of doing lessons at a different time of day, but have resisted so far because that would ‘lock’ me into a new rhythm, with the bulk of lessons showing up at a time other than the evening.

If I manage to do lessons a few more times at the beginning of this coming week, I should level up before the next weekend. Next week’s plan:

8 Likes

I’m an hour late, but I finally got some lessons in!

EDIT: Thanks to a quick toggle of the reviews/lessons button on Kumirei’s HeatMap, I learned that today’s lesson session was only the 5th this month :scream:. I hadn’t realised that I had let things slide so badly.

3 Likes

I have just joined the Let's climb Tokyo Skytree - level 60 in spring 2022 race - I hope this will help spur me on to getting back to my previous (if short-lived) regular pace of 13 to 14 days per level:

At that pace, the old and soon-to-be-defunct WK Stats site projection says that hypothetically I should hit lvl 60 by the end of November next year, and should be all burned within a very few days of the end date for the race. Let’s see if I can at least reach 60 by then!

6 Likes

I have just levelled up to 25!

The fact that this happened due to a lunchtime review instead of an evening review is testimony to how haphazard my study routine has been.

I’m a little disappointed that it took longer to get through level 24 than 23; I had hoped for a continuing downward trajectory in this graph, but I am grateful that it was shorter than level 22 at least.
Annotation 2020-07-25 132254

I decided yesterday to cut out all caffeine for a while to see if that is contributing to my poor sleep. I miss my mid-day jasmine tea :tea:, but I have some nice herbals and they will have to do. I do have a headache, so I’m wondering if that is caffeine withdrawal… Time will tell.

I have also just changed my lesson filtre from a batch of 11 items with 8 of those always being vocab to a batch of 12, with 1 radical, 1 kanji and 10 vocab to deal with the accumulation of vocab items resulting from my slow finishes to the previous levels (I was levelling up before having finished all the kanji, so didn’t have any days of vocab-only lessons).

5 Likes

I am pleased to write that I only missed one lesson session last week (meaning I did more lessons last week than in the rest of the month…)

I have removed the evening BishBashBosh session from my plans as it was interfering with my 3rd review of the morning lessons (i.e. I had just reviewed many of them less than an hour beforehand).

I will be translating my mochi-making machine instruction booklet during the week-long break from the bookclub.

Next week’s plan:

7 Likes

I didn’t even know there’s something like a mochi-making machine. Amazing. Have you tried making some already?

3 Likes

The step-down voltage converter I already had for my Japanese stereo turned out to not be powerful enough, so I had to wait for a new one to arrive, which happened a couple of days ago - the weather is supposed to be awful over the weekend, so I expect with most of my time indoors I just might get my first batch made this weekend; I’ll post pics when I do, probably over in the mochi thread, though I might add something here.

4 Likes

Wow! I can’t believe it’s been 3 weeks since I did a lesson plan post.

I’m back to doing full daily WK lesson sessions and almost all review sessions (I have frequently not bothered with a morning session if the review count was less than 5).

I have added a 7 minute session of ‘coherent breathing to the top of each of my study sessions: I learned about it from my therapist in our last session, and so far it’s proven to be the best form of meditation for me, as the constant sound of the reverberations after each of the two bells has been struck helps reduce my brain’s urge to fill the space with thoughts.

My book work did slip last week as both the beginning and end of the week were rough, for different reasons. I’ll be working exclusively on わんわん探偵団 in lieu of any grammar studies for the rest of the day in order to finish off this week’s readings, so next week’s grammar studies will consist of doing the leftovers from this week supplemented by some extra exercises from the Basic Kanji workbook (in red).

Next week’s plan:

8 Likes

P.S. I levelled up to 26 last night - I posted in the Tokyo Skytree thread and forgot to mention it here.

6 Likes

I was delighted to see this - I had thought I would have to wait until 3000 to see another burn celebration :tada:

5 Likes

@Rowena what do you use to type up your lesson plans? The organizer in me gets a lot of joy just looking at it!

2 Likes

MS OneNote.

Here’s a wider screenshot of what it looks like:

Some other WKiers have also posted their versions:
Chopped’s dark theme here
Eearslya is using OneNote 2016, also dark theme, shown here

4 Likes

I didn’t get any of the Basic Kanji Workbook stuff done (I skipped a couple of study sessions earlier in the week, so this weekend has been devoted to finishing off 新日本語の基礎 第30課), but otherwise it was a good week.

I should finish off this level’s kanji lessons on Wednesday and level up to 27 by the weekend.

Next week’s plan:

3 Likes

Thank you so much! Also, congrats on more burned items! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m officially declaring this week’s plan a bust; I broke my ankle on Saturday evening, and between how much longer it has taken me to get around with crutches and a kitchen trolley and all the unplanned medical appointments, I’ve not had as much time (and let’s face it, aside from keeping up with WK lessons and, most of the time, reviews, the GAF factor has been a little lower this week).

WK aside, I shall focus on getting caught up with this week’s わんわん探偵団 reading and if I get that done before Sunday, may start in on textbook work to lighten next week’s load.

7 Likes

Major injuries can be so frustrating and challenging to work through Rowena, wishing you a speedy recovery!

5 Likes

元気になってください。 :orange_heart:

4 Likes