チーズスイートホーム: Week 1 Discussion (Chapters 1-3)

Finishing off chapter 3 - from page 24:

え~んひろいめにあった
I just went through hell…

ふう。ひどい目にあった。
Phew! I just went through hell…
(This made me laugh!)

え?
Huh?

が!
Gah!

猫洗うのってたいへんなのね
Washing a cat is tough, right!

みがー
Cat noises.

風呂もドライヤーも気持ちいいのになあ。
Even though both the bath and hair dryer feel good…

ヨロヨロ
Staggering

しななくてよかった, でも…
I’m not dead and that was good but…
(that doesn’t make sense though - he didn’t think it was good??)

Its good I didn’t die but… (thanks @ChristopherFritz)

またここにもどってきたった
I’ve come back here again.

おうちかえう
Going home.

がんばう!
I’m gonna do it!

お。きれいになったなあ。
Oh, you became pretty clean! (Thanks @hachiken) - or more naturally “Oh, you’re nice and clean”

もうやらからしんだふり
(もうやだから死んだふり)
I can’t take it any more, going to play dead

And for the chapter title, I went for:
猫、ひどい目にあう。
Cat, has a hard time

9 Likes

I read this as, “It’s good I didn’t die, but…” or “Thank goodness I didn’t die, but…”

3 Likes

きれい can also mean clean and tidy.

4 Likes

I also generally lurk. I wanted to join this time cuz it’s the first time I’ve actually had the book in discussion, but I’ve got a headache right now. I read up to chapter 5 before, but I didn’t understand much, so it’ll be nice to go back through with everyone’s notes when I’m feeling better.

11 Likes

well. my first attempt at reading incoming in a few hours. wish me luck because I’m definitely going to need it

8 Likes

Chapter 3 was actually a pretty fun read, cute too. I enjoyed chapter 3 more than the previous two chapters.

Good luck! You can do it!

2 Likes

Finished all three chapters now, been pretty fun so far! I think I enjoyed chapter 3 the most because I understood almost all of it except for closer to the end (long sentences begin to throw me off :disappointed_relieved: ), thanks again to the people who had translations. Between those and Jisho I’ve been able to work out the grammar and words when needed!

6 Likes

New thread is here /o/ boop here \o\

4 Likes

I finally finished the first three chapters. thank you all for the translations, tips and questions already posted. Those helped me a lot to get through the chapters. Next: Chapters 4-6 :muscle:

1 Like

I don’t get what the った is doing here?

1 Like

戻って来てしまった :slight_smile:

4 Likes

った is a contraction of ちゃった / ちゃった ?

1 Like

Nope! :stuck_out_tongue:
What happens is that it’s not 戻って来た and then った, but 戻って来ちゃった (spelled wrong).
ちゃった is てしまった. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Right, I get it now, thanks. I meant 「ちゃった / てしまった」instead of「ちゃった / ちゃった 」, whoops.

2 Likes

Page 26

So, the きたった is Chi’s version of… 来ちゃった, which is a casual form of 来てしまった?

Okay, I usually ignore the cat’s mewlings, but here goes, let me check…!

Chi has just had a bath, stumbled back to bed and says:
また ここに もどって きたった

また - again
ここ - here
に - direction particle (to)
もどって - 戻る, to return, in the てform (connective form = “and”)
きたった - the cat’s pronunciation of 来ちゃった, which is a casual form of 来てしまった

来て - 来る, to come, in て-form
しまった - past tense of “Oops! I screwed up

again + here + to + turn back and + come and + I screwed up

“Oh no, once again I’ve only gone and come back here”

Does that look right?

4 Likes

Yep. :slight_smile: It’s basically with the connotation that she wanted to leave and ended up at the same place.

5 Likes

Thank you Kazzeon!

1 Like

I’ve been out of town for several weeks and it seems I have some catching up to do. Now in the first frame of Chapter 1, the bird is flying off saying “チチ” and there is a third character. Is it actually a character, or is it just scribble?

1 Like

The third character is a small ッ (so, it is チチッ). This is an onomatopoeia for chirping.

4 Likes

This has been a pretty helpful post as I read chapter 1. It is good for me to make my guess at what the cat words actually are and the meaning of the words and then compare them to your translation. Thank you for posting it and integrating the feedback into it!

2 Likes