キノの旅 Week 4 Discussion

page 72-3

中折れ式のフレームにシリンダー並列した、十六連発リヴォるバーだった。

I got that it’s a 16 shot revolver, but I have no what “nakaoreshiki” and stuff is trying to tell me about the gun. It sounds undependable in bed, though.

But really, is it sawed off? Or is it referring to how revolvers have that cylinder than opens out the side to load?

1 Like

I’m guessing it refers to this kind:

images

4 Likes

Ooooooh. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

1 Like

Read up until page 71 today. Another creepy dude asking キノ to stay and getting utterly rejected… is this going to be a thing?:thinking:

4 Likes

Isn’t that just an accurate depiction of being a woman

7 Likes

I didn’t want to say it but… :joy:

1 Like

But… it’s never mentioned that Kino is a woman so far. Considering the use of 僕, I think most readers (who haven’t been spoiled it so far) would assume that Kino is a he. I also wonder how apparent it is to the other protagonists of the story.

2 Likes

because I’m so far behind, I have no idea.
I was just making a joke though. I think the book has sort of said that Kino looks like a boy, and I think these people are just lonely and want any company.
Though Hermes did seem to hint at Kino’s gender.
And hey, ボク has a different feel than 僕 :wink:

5 Likes

Yes, I understood it was a joke, but it got me worried that I had missed something :sweat_smile: I don’t think it has been “revealed” yet. <robot lawyer rant>Hermes did think that one guy in the previous chapter fell for Kino. While we could deduce Kino’s gender if (1) Hermes is serious, (2) Kino’s gender was clear to said guy and (3) we are in an hetero-normative context, it’s hard to prove all hypothesis hold with just the informations we had <\robot lawyer rant> #nofunallowed

7 Likes

let’s be real, we’re always in a heteronormative context

7 Likes

I think my eyesight just got worse. I can’t read the comments anymore.

10 Likes

5 Likes

Finished a day early!!

I have my part time job tomorrow after work so I didn’t think I’d have much time to read.

4 Likes

FINALLY! I’m trough, too. Just in time tough :rofl:

Well I got some questions about some sentances.
I really hope that will not escallate

Q1 (p. 65-66)
誰かのアイデアを知らしめて、どれだけの人間かそれに賛成しているのかを調べる。

We investigated, who made this idea known and how many people are agreeing with it.
(Did I get this right?)

Q2 (p. 68)
死刑制度を廃したら、国家反逆者をいつまでも生かしておかなければならない

If we abolished the death penalty system, we must keep the states rebels alive forever
(I’m definetly not confident with this terribly long last part. And why exactly is here おく used? I know it to create a feeling of “I do something in foresight of the future”, but that does not really fit here.)

Q3 (p. 74)
走り去りにエルメスがぼそっと言った言葉は、「さよなら王様」

How is the 際 spoken here? Is it さい (circumstance) an actually just another word for まま or is it きわ (time, moment) and thus an equivalent for とき?

Q4 Another question to the content:
Why is the man in the end so afraid/angry?
My idea:

Is it because Kino threathens him (p. 74): 「あなた間違っていますよ」って言ったらどうします。
(What do you do if we say “you misbehaved” (?))
I think, sentance is in the backgroud, that Kino and Hermes are two, but the man is only alone. This way the vote of the two of them is heavier, and they could use the political system punish (= kill) him. When he realizes that, he wants to chase them away, so they never come back.

Damm, again my whole bunch of 18 questions shrunk down to only 4.

~T :lion:

Ps: this book club is AWESOME! I would have never started a book like this at my current stand of abilities, but I am totally surprised, how well I get through. Thanks guys :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I had the same interpretation ^^

おく also means leaving something in a certain state after the te-form, which applies to the having to leave them alive part

生かしておかなければならない → 生かす te-form (to let live) + おく in “must” なければならない form

As a suffix, 際 takes the きわ/ぎわ reading (I think specifically when used as a suffix it’s ぎわ :thinking:), so at the time/moment of them running off

I also think it’s because they made an implication they disagreed with him, which as we saw is not very well tolerated in what their society had become. As far as the 2 vs 1 thing, I’m not sure that necessarily applies at the time because Kino and Hermes aren’t official citizens there, so I’m thinking his anger more so stemmed from the being disagreed with bit

同感 ! :grin:

3 Likes

Q1 - I think 調べる applies only to the second part of the sentence. We make someone’s idea known to everyone and investigate how many people are agreeing with it.

5 Likes

That was my (shaky!) understanding as well.

Finished chapter 2! Just in time.

That guy sure didn’t take the rejection very well.
And poor エルメス being betrayed at the end.

I kinda feel like 4 weeks in is a good time to reflect. This being the intermediate book club and all I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to keep up, but this community is really motivating and I’ve somehow managed so I’m pretty happy :hugs:.

4 Likes

I agree! It’s interesting to see that we are just reaching the “half-life” of participation. We started with 55 people reading along, had 30 on week 3 and 25 on week 4. I need to check, but I think that’s a much better performance than previous installments of this book club, and I feel like the weekly thread creating-polling-asking questions format is working well.

Hmm, maybe I should move this discussion to the main book club thread :thinking:

3 Likes

That means we have to be better for the next book then. I like challenges :smile:

Never expected that many people though. Would be fun to have a comparison between the number of people in each book club depending on the chapter. ha ha

1 Like