🐶 わんにゃん探偵団 🐱 Book Club

Sounds good - thanks once again for organising!

2 Likes

Alright, I will try to put a thread together tomorrow :blush:

4 Likes

Done!

We’ll be starting on the 11th of January. Tell all your friends :wink:

(It’s actually in stock on CDJapan too!)

4 Likes

I don’t know about you guys, but I often feel my Japanese progress is much too slow. I don’t know enough kanji, don’t know enough vocab, don’t know enough grammar, yadda yadda. But when I checked my Goodreads 2020 challenge, I noticed something… The Nyan Nyan 2 book club was my first book club and we finished that in early 2020. Just one year later I am planning to take part in the コンビニ人間 intermediate book club. I am so pleased with the progress I’ve made! I want to thank @Radish8 again for their efforts with this book club. It really turbocharged my Japanese! And to all the people out there for whom Wan Wan 2 will be their first book club, 頑張って! You’ll be so happy you did it :heart:

7 Likes

Hey everyone, first time Wanikani-er and ALSO first-time book clubber! (Okay, okay, maybe second or third time … but I didn’t really show up to those …) Excited for this. I’m brand new to Japanese but I look forward to just following along at my own pace bit by bit. And as an added bonus I get to discover Bookwalker!

4 Likes

The Absolute Beginners Book Club is voting for the next book. If you’d like to get involved click here to go the poll and cast your vote!

3 Likes

Now the question is, what length of break before わんわん volume 3?

1 Like

If you wait until September, I’ll be able to join in again :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Time between books one and two: four months.

Time between book two and September: four months.

Detective Milky books available digitally I can buy and read in the meantime: eight volumes.

Don’t know what everyone else will feel like on when to start the next book, but I think I can manage any length of wait =D

3 Likes

Another month and a half, and I may just put up a poll seeking interest in book three.

5 Likes

I’m finally reading book 2. So I’m ready for book 3 fairly soon. So poll away :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How are we looking for a book three start date?

• September 24th
  • October 8th
  • October 22nd
  • November 5th
0 voters

The dogs have been waiting!

I failed completely at doing this :frowning:

2 Likes

I voted beginning of October, but am flexible if we need to wait longer for new readers to order the book in, as long as we can finish before the end of February, please.

2 Likes

I really don’t care; I can read it whenever :slight_smile: So I didn’t vote, cause I don’t want to skew the answer!

3 Likes

Did you create that picture? It’s fantastic!

I keep putting this one off because I’m busy reading other stuff. But I have a digital copy of the book so need to crack on with it. I’ve selected the November date in the poll as one of the books I’m reading will be finished by that date, but I’m happy to start earlier if that suits others better. Thanks for getting us organised @ChristopherFritz!

3 Likes

Maybe we could go fishing in the ABBC to get some more people involved? I think these books are so good for people who are just starting to read!

2 Likes

Radish8 did advertise it in the past in the opening post of ABBC and attracted a few readers. There was some caution about not competing with the official ABBC pick and pulling away readers. If the next pick in ABBC is another manga then there probably will be some people keen to get into a book. Perhaps we can advertise it in ABBC once we’ve picked a date?

3 Likes

It gave me something to do with five minutes, an image editor, and a random photo found online =D

Wouldn’t it be ironic if the next ABBC pick was my nomination of the first Detective Milky book (from the same author)?

Edit: Wow, I just looked a the current proposal list for ABBC, and it’s 7 story books and 4 manga. And they’re currently on their third manga in a row.

I wonder if dropping mention in BBC as well would be fine. They’re reading children’s stories there, but that’s a whole different beast from a children’s picture book. Anyone who’s struggling with the Ogawa stories to the point of dropping out might welcome a children’s picture book at ABBC pace.

I should look at page counts, schedules for past books in this series, and work out a per-week schedule to help figure a good start date. (I realize my poll options were a bit sparse.)

2 Likes

I’ve put up a thread for book three.

Advertising in the ABBC thread can be tricky as I don’t know when the next vote will be, and we would want to give any interested readers time to buy a physical copy if they prefer. I wonder how many people jumped in at Wan Book 2 and Nyan Book 2.

Looking at the page counts, reading can easily be spread across 13 to 16 weeks, coming in at under four months. That means starting by November 1st could reach the very end of February.

The tricky part is spacing out the volume’s latter case, which has many text-heavy pages.

2 Likes

Next ABBC book should start 13 Nov, so we’ll ideally be voting on options end of this month.

2 Likes