よつばと! Vol 4 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

I might just have to do both then! :hugs:

@marcusp would people still reply if I post in old discussion threads? I would feel bad.

1 Like

With pleasure!

3 Likes

Yes, no problem at all. I still do it from time to time!

2 Likes

Alrighty! Starting volume 1 today! Hope I read fast enough :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Guess i’ll do the same and start with Volume 1, hope to catch up fast with you guys.

Thank you for taking me in

4 Likes

Page 9

I was just reading page 9 and looked up 選ぶ, えらぶ, in a dictionary and found the example sentence: このペンの内どれでも選びなさい , which I thought was rather nice. But it got me thinking about the sentence Jumbo uses.

Could he have made his more polite just by changing the verb form from 選べ to 選びなさい, or does it not work like that?

Thank you!

1 Like

Time to start volume 4. It’s been a while. :stuck_out_tongue:

Welp, was going to try and not open the vocab list while reading, but I was stumped by the title. :joy:
Is it 勝負? Looks like it, but kanji being too small is always my problem. (It was. :smiley:)

Am I correct in thinking she's referring to the sound it makes when you hit the shuttlecock?

Like, "Don't hit it like ブン, you have to hit it like パン."

Meaning to hit it on a downward swing instead of an upward swing, perhaps.

@Natsu-Machi I think it was you who added it to the vocab list, I just wanted to clear something up; instead of just editing it.

About the バトミントン part in the vocab list, I found this on Wikipedia:

誤って「バトミントン」と呼ばれることが多いが、正しくは「バドミントン (badminton)」である。

Although it is often called “batminton” by mistake, the correct way is “badminton”.

@marcusp 選びなさい is indeed the polite imperative form, while 選べ is just the plain imperative.

From Making requests:
「なさい」is a special honorific conjugation of 「する」. It is a soft yet firm way of issuing a command. It is used, for example, when a mother is scolding her child or when a teacher wants a delinquent student to pay attention. Unlike 「ください」, 「なさい」 only applies to positive verbs and uses the stem of the verb instead of the te-form. It also cannot be used by itself but must be attached to another verb.

Edit: Although I must say, in this case it doesn’t feel necessary to say, “Please choose one.” Since it’s not something that Yotsuba doesn’t want to do, he’s just saying, “Choose one.”

2 Likes

Thank you so much @Kazzeon!
Polite imperative! Got it! Thank you!

I’ve just asked the wife and she thinks you are spot on. With パン being much stronger than ブン, but she can’t be sure!

1 Like

:smiley: Nice!

Just a reminder to read the edit, in case you hadn’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I feel a little like 選んでください might be a bit closer in tone.

No, that were I. And like I said, it’s not wrong wrong, just wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You said it wasn’t incorrect, just unusual. :open_mouth:

I imagine we’ll see Yotsuba featured here one day soon!
https://www.badminton.or.jp/

1 Like

It would be cool, although completely unexpected, if Yotsubato! somehow became a sports manga.

1 Like

Page 11

もう一週間くらいたつからなぁー

Is the たつ here, the same as 立つ - ?
What do people think? (I hope so, because, obviously, this is one I know from WK!)

Page 11

植物は話しかけてやるといいって聞いたことあるな

Just a really quick observation about the subjects of sentences. Of course I’ve read that a subject isn’t necessary, but it still feels so odd at times. Here the dad is saying “have heard that it is a good thing to do to talk to plants”. But just dropping that “I” still leaves me scrambling round looking for what he’s trying to say much longer than if he’d just stuck a 私 at the front. I know it’s just something I have to get used to!

2 Likes

Oops, misread. It should be 立つ from stand.
“Already for about a week, (they) stand because, see…”
“Because they’ve been standing for about a week, you see?”

And yeah, you just have to get used to the lack of subjects.

1 Like

Page 20

今の下だろ?!

This looks simple enough, as they argue whether the shuttlecock went under or over the string, but I’m just wondering about that の. Why not just 今、下だろ? “Now, it’s under?!”

Sorry if this is a really basic question and I’m missing something really simple. I think I’ve been reading too long this morning and now need to rest my brain!

1 Like

I suspect it’s actually 経つ. “It’s been a week already”

Tragically, I don’t think Azuma-sensei had your time efficiency in mind when he wrote it. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Perhaps he’ll do better in his next volume! lol!

I’m starting to notice a significant difference since I started the book clubs. This chapter was so fast to read! Sure, there are still things I don’t get without looking up, but just reading through it was faster =)
And the other day I sat down and read a whole manga in one go O_o
I was at the vet with my cat Eevee, and had to wait a whopping 4 hours ^^;
Completing the book and had time to spare. I guess I used less than half the time on the actual manga (didn’t look anything up, I understood enough to get by and didn’t bother stopping for the jokes I didn’t get…), spent a good portion here in the forums and went shopping :wink:

3 Likes