よつばと! Vol 2 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Page 51

I decided earlier this week (prompted by a thread here!) to take the JLPT N5 in July, so my studies have been shifting more towards that this week. But that’s no reason to stop reading Yotsuba! In fact, I hope Yotsuba will help with N5!

なきゃー
なければいけません

This, on page 51, looks incredibly difficult! First I found this, which looks useful, and am working through it now! But then I found Bunpro has it down as なくちゃいけない.

So my question is: Is there a difference between なくちゃいけない and なければいけません?

1 Like

From what I see:
なくてはいけません becomes なくちゃ
なければいけません becomes なきゃ

I couldn’t find anything about them being different. /:
I was mostly taught to use なければいけません.

Edit.-
It seems that なければいけません is for things in your control = I must make it happen.
And なくてはいけません is for things out of your control = It must happen.
Something like that? Please either confirm or deny. :joy:

2 Likes

Oh, I see!
Got it! That clears things up! Thank you so much again Kazzeon!

Chapter 9 was great, wasn’t it?! :smiley:

1 Like

:joy: Wanikani is telling me to reply to other people as well. :joy:

Check that edit tho.

And yes! It was a really interesting chapter, it was a quick and fun read, although mostly intuitively rather than understanding every word. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit:
Thank you for asking, made me look through japanese pages with Google Translate’s help to find the differences. :rofl:
Also, good luck on the N5.
From what I’ve heard (haven’t actually taken it) it’s mostly getting the basic kanji, vocab and hearing correct.
Particles and stuff.
Mostly, since even with the N5 you can’t read stuff like Yotsuba that easily.
So you’re well on your way! :slight_smile:

1 Like

:joy: Wanikani asks me if I need to post so often and if I’m letting other people have a chance! :joy:

Thanks for the edit! And yes, I agree about the chapter! Thanks so much again!
Edit: Thank you again!

3 Likes

AHHHH I love the idea of this thread! I’ve already read all of Yotsubato that’s currently out and adore those books so much. I’d love to re-read with you guys! And hopefully I can be helpful too since I’m already familiar with the content :3

Happy reading~

3 Likes

Kinda lost it at バイバイ tbh

2 Likes

You are both giving us every chance! We are just not as good with asking nor explaining so we sit back and enjoy your hard work :wink:
Well, I do at least =P
So keep on asking! We all get to learn through the answers =^_^=

3 Likes

Every question can help a future reader and good, prompt answers > long delays while waiting to see if someone else notices and responds.

Keep asking and responding!

1 Like

(Me, too!)

2 Likes

(Do we need to wait for our esteemed discussion facilitator to open the floor for the next chapter, or do we just go? :slightly_smiling_face:)

2 Likes

Discussion of Chapter 10 starts here.

3 Likes

I felt a mix of relief and elation reading this chapter - except for a quick squizz in jisho for 十分, I read and generally understood the whole thing without using the reading pack (finally feeling like two years of uni Japanese classes and 4.5 years in the country have not been entirely forgotton :sweat_smile: )

2 Likes

Yeah, I… haven’t actually got anything much to say - not quite sure why I brought it up. :stuck_out_tongue: Some of Yotsuba’s mispronunciations in the first few pages threw me for a bit, though.

I’m guessing page 64 frame 3 とっちゃ is an abbreviation of 取らなくて?

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your encouragement!
Here goes chapter ten!

According to the vocab list (life is going to so much tougher come vol.3 and we don’t have it!) what we have here is:
取る - とる - to take out
っちゃ駄目 - っちゃだめ - bad to do
取っちゃ駄目 - “Don’t take it out”

Is 取っちゃ [だめ] the same as 取らなくて[だめ] ?

1 Like

Page 60

Yotsuba says: なんのおもてましもしませんが。。。
This is what I half understand:

なんの - 何の - what kind of
おもてまし - Yotsuba’s pronunciation of おもてなし - hospitality
も - also, too
しません - not do
が - but

I’ve got a few ideas about what she might be sating here, but can anyone tell me for sure?

1 Like

とっちゃ seems to be the abbreviation of 取っては.
So 取っちゃだめ would be:
取っては - To take/Taking
だめ - No good/Not allowed

Haven’t read the chapter yet, but hope this helps. :slight_smile:

取らなくちゃ = I have to take it. So, not the same. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Ah yeah, that’s right. I keep forgetting that ~なくちゃ/~なきゃ means SHOULD do.

I feel like this is a misporonunciation of a standard Japanese courtesy phrase, but I can’t for the life of me figure out what it ought to be.

2 Likes

Well, I don’t like to bug my wife with questions all day long on the one day we both have off together, but this is Yotsuba, lol, and so my wife says it is a standard phrase and that it’s one I hear when I go to my in-laws! It means “I’m sorry but I haven’t prepared any hospitality for you” “I’m sorry, but we’ve not prepared anything special for your visit”. Of course it is just a polite phrase and the opposite is in fact the case!

I’ve also just asked on Hi Native to see if there are any more examples.
What is the meaning of "なんのおもてなしもしませんが"? - Question about Japanese | HiNative

(My poor wife can get back to enjoying her day off now!)

Edit: check out the link, I’ve just had a very kind and comprehensive reply!

5 Likes

Yeah, that was how I read it too. My brain kinda bounced off any attempts to actually break it down into its components, though - just skimmed off the meaning and kept going.

2 Likes