にゃんにゃん - Kitty Detectives - Vol. 1

I think Google did a thing. I seem to recall several other vocab sheets became unavailable all at once, a numble of months back…

Good to hear from you!

Edit: @MissDagger @tomaoled vocab list is open again

1 Like

Thank you. And @trout thanks for the notification!

So been looking forward to reading this book, and now I can have all the help of the previous WK readers. <3

2 Likes

There are 3 stories in the book so just click on tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet for the vocab contained in each story. Happy reading!

2 Likes

Oooooh, I always thought this was a manga :woman_facepalming:t3: but it’s more like short stories with illustrations! I love that! I think I’ll start this after I’m done with なぜ?どうして? (so…in like 5 years lol)

2 Likes

Indeed! Three stories if I remember rightly! If you have any questions, please post them as I’m sure people would still be very happy to help. And the second volume has been put forward as a nomination for the next Absolute Beginners Bookclub book. So fingers crossed! Thank you @frayderike!

Yeah, I went through all the nominations to figure out what I might want to vote for and that’s how I figured out that it is not a manga :smiley: So one of my votes will go to the second volume for sure!

1 Like

Just bought both にゃんにゃん books! But before I start reading the first book, I will try to go and read the last chapters of 銭天堂 together with the Beginner Club. Maybe I can finish なぜ?どうして?, too, before starting にゃんにゃん. I’m really looking forward to this one!

7 Likes

I’ve just started reading the book a few days ago an finished pages 14&15 today. I’m really struggeling with figuring out who is talking when direct speech is used. :sweat_smile: Did any of you face the same problem? Did you get used to the writing style and it got better over time?

1 Like

Yea, it is confusing and I don’t know of any quick solutions other than to say it will get easier with time figuring out who is saying what and also with the style of writing as you continue reading book after book. It sometimes drives me crazy too but to a much lesser degree now than before.
I think reading speed might have something to do with making it easier to figure out who’s saying what.

Anyways, you’ll enjoy reading the stories in this wonderful book. Keep at it, it’ll get easier.

2 Likes

Yes, but I got used to it.
The gender clues are very useful: あたし and ending sentences in わ indicate a female speaker, ぼく indicates a male speaker.

4 Likes

Wow, it’s @aiju ! Good to hear from you!

2 Likes

Sadly, it’s something you do need to get the hang of, because it’s the standard style for Japanese writing.

2 Likes

I should probably mention on this thread that I’m planning to run a group reading the second にゃんにゃん探偵 book, likely starting on the 14th of October.

So that might prove a useful motivator / deadline for anyone planning to read the first :grin:

7 Likes

Okay! Thanks for the date. I’ll make sure to finish before then. Hah, I just started reading this book last week and would have probably kept reading a few pages every day except for a pesky cold that is now almost gone! So I’ll get back to reading it in the next couple of days. I’m around page 20ish after 3-4 days of reading so I’m sure I should be able to finish it way before mid-October. :relieved:

1 Like

Finished :partying_face: and ready for volume 2!
Thanks for the vocab sheet and all the great questions, explanations and translations in this thread. As always, it helped a lot! (I really tried to not like every single post but it was difficult :rofl:)

It was a fun read, loved it actually! Have to restrain myself or else I’ll start reading the second book before the club starts. I should look for something short to read in the meantime to distract myself…

8 Likes

I can relate – I read the second volume ages ago, shortly after the first one.

Looking forward to the second reading group. I seem to be returning to England just in time (where I have my copy of the book).

6 Likes

I for one loved seeing your likes pop up! Congrats on finishing the book - and see you in the club for the next one soon! Nice one!

3 Likes

@frayderike Hooray! I’m excited for the second book :grin: only read the first story of book one myself so far, to get an idea of the difficulty.

@marcusp Would you consider adding a link to the thread for the second book to your OP? Might help people in future realise there’s a thread for it if they finish the first and want more :blush:

6 Likes

Nice idea! Will do that right now! Cheers!

4 Likes