ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん 🌳 Week 4 (The Wolf of the Small Forest Book Club)

Just finished this weeks section, some larger passages of text but I think I coped with it fairly well. I can definitely see some improvement from the early weeks of reading Ruri Dragon to the first few weeks of this manga.

3 Likes

You make it hard to endure…

2 Likes

It was always hard to endure. Which is why I don’t :joy:

2 Likes

Hi eve- cough こんにちはみなさん!

Just want to let you know that something big happened/ is happening in my life and that kinda pushed Japanese out of reach. But I plan to catch up, promise!

Yes, I’m trying that emotional investment psychology trick again to make me read Japanese!

4 Likes

DO IT! :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

3 Likes

Finally caught up after a busy few weeks, I didn’t have much trouble but I’d appreciate if someone could glance at a few translation attempts.

Page 26

のんびりしているように見えるけど = I may look like I’m doing things carefree but…

Page 28

普段は平和で森の動物たちと一緒に楽しく過ごしています = Usually, I enjoy spending time together with the animals of the forest in peace.

Page 31

この森には特別な役割を持つ動物さんもいます = In this forest, also exist animals who hold special roles.

きつねさんは森の守り神ドライアド様のお使い役兼お世話役 = Fox’s role is the caregiver and messenger of the forest protection god Dryad.

Page 32

今お使いの途中だから後でいいなら、私が聞いてあげるけど = I’m on an errand (for Dryad) but if later is good, I can ask Dryad for you.

Page 34

ドライアド様はこの大木の精霊で、ここにいてずっと森を見守ってくれてるんだよ = Dryad watches over the forest here in the spirit of this large tree.

Nothing in particular was an issue, just not as confident in some of my translations this week.

1 Like
p34

Here the first sentence ends with the て form of です. Therefore it’s just two sentences bound together with the continuative form. Basically “The dryad is the spirit of this huge tree, and he watches over the forest”.

The rest seems ok

3 Likes

Ah right, I was too focused on location with that one. Thanks for pointing it out!

2 Likes

I’m almost done but this week’s pages are kicking my butt. Notes/questions to follow. I will say, a highlight:

Screenshot 2023-06-04 213603
I love (とり)さん.

7 Likes

A large point of confusion for me was misunderstanding that Kitsune-san was the messenger of Dryad-sama, not Dryad-sama themself. Seeing other’s translations helped make that clear, and as soon as I understood that, the rest seemed to fall into place more easily.

The biggest pain point for me was

page 32:

森の中だったらドライアド様が何かわかるんじゃない
If it was inside the forest, Dryad-sama will know something, don’t you think?

I now feel relatively confident but would love any input. The んじゃない really threw me for a loop, forgetting that that’s a phrase that not only means “is not” but can mean other things. It feels like “isn’t it”? Might be the most fitting here, as Kitsune is kinda saying, it’s kind of obvious, right? I believe the ん is the shortened の, and that would make the sentence more like, “I’m explaining that…/It’s that…The thing is that.” My interpretation is that Kitsune-san is also a little annoyed. Her language in the next bubble though seems…softer? Or maybe just that fact that she says something that (to me, in English, seems blunt) but then offers to help when she’s not busy, later.

OOkami says:
そうかドライアド様なら知っているかも
I see. If that’s the case, Dryad-sama might know (be in a state of knowing).

Just want to gut check this.

page 35:

ドライアド様はこの大木の精霊でここにいてずっと森を見守ってくれてるんだよ

Dryad-sama
from/by/at this great tree of the spirits of the dead
Is always at this place
Watching over the forest

And I am puzzled about the last bit :frowning: … keeping it dark?

Thanks everyone as always, my second read-through was much more enjoyable and understandable.

4 Likes
p32

なら is often used for “because it’s x, they will y”. In this case “because they are the Dryad, they will know”. Same thing happens in English too, “If it’s him, I’m sure he will succeed”. It’s just rarer.

p34

This is actually page 34

Earlier I mentioned, how the first sentence ends in the て form of だ. Therefore you can split this sentence in two:
ドライアド様はこの大木の精霊だ
and
ここにいてずっと森を見守ってくれてるんだよ

The former is an XはYだ sentence.
X = ドライアド様 → The dryad
Y = この大木の精霊 → The spirit of this huge tree
The dryad is the spirit of this huge tree

The latter on the other hand is just an action sentence, with んだよ at the end to turn it into an explanatory one, so let’s take that off:
ここにいてずっと森を見守ってくれてる
The base verb is 見守ってくれてる, the てくる + continuous version of 見守る, “to watch over”. So basically in this case “[it] is in the state of continuing to watch over something”
The rest is modifying this verb.
ここにいてずっと → while being here, doing sthg at the same time
森を the object of the sentence (the thing the dryad is watching over) is the forest.
Therefore:
“While being here, they are continuously in the state of watching over the forest”
“They watch over the forest from here”

Put together with the first sentence using the て form
“They are the spirit of this tree and they watch over the forest from here”

5 Likes

Ah, that helps so much! Thank you. I was having a hard time breaking the sentence on 34 down. My brain has clearly melted, I didn’t even write the correct page number.

ありがとうございます。I appreciate that you took the time to break that all down and explain it!

aha

3 Likes

It always helps to take the individual speech bubbles one by one. Unless you are reading something very weird, they will have a reason for being split. In this case because those are basically two sentences. Handling a single, 2 km long sentence in a single pass is unfeasible

3 Likes

This time a bit earlier than the last couple of times!

Page 25

町のはずれにある
On the edge of town is

ちいさな森
a small forest

私はこの森に住むオオカミです
I am the wolf who lives in this forest

Page 26

のんびりしているように見えるけど
I seem relaxed but

森には危険な場所がたくさんあるから
There are many dangerous places in this forest

人間さんが森に迷い込まないように
I have to make sure humans aren’t wandering into this forest

パトロール中!
I’m in the middle of my patrol!

もし森の中で人間さんを見つけたら。。。
If I discover humans in the middle of the forest, then…

Page 27

強くて怖いオオカミの私が
I’m a strong and scary wolf

驚かせて森から追い出すの!
They will be driven out by being scared!

こうして日々森の安全を守っているのです
Through that, the every day safety of the forest is protected

と言っても。。。
However…

Page 28

普段は平和で森の動物たちと一緒に楽しく過ごしています
Usually it’s peaceful and I enjoy spending time with the forest animals.

今日はパトロールはここまでかな
I guess that’s it for todays patrol

これからなにしょうか
What should we do after this?

Page 29

今人影がみえたような。。。?
Was that the shadow of a person?

これは。。。
This is…

蝶のプローチ。。。
A butterfly brooch…

さっきの人が落としたのかな
Did the person from before drop this?

早く探さなきゃ!
I quickly have to find them!

Page 30

どこに行っちゃったんだろう。。。
Where did they go…

人間さんみたいな足跡残っていなかったし。。。
There are no human like footprints…

誰かに聞いてみようかな
Maybe I should try and ask someone

Page 31

この森には特別な役割を持つ動物さんもいます
In this forest are animals with special duties

きつねさんは森の守り神ドライアド様のお使い役兼お世話役
Fox’s duty is to be the messenger and caretaker of the forest guardian god Dryad.

このあたりで人間さん見かけなかった?
You didn’t happen to notice a human around here?

Page 32

見てないわね
I didn’t see anyone

やっぱり。。。そうだよね〜
As expected… I know

森の中だったらドライアド様が何かわかるんじゃない?
If there was something in the forest, wouldn’t Dryad know about it?

今お使いの途中だからあとでいいなら私が聞いてあげるけど
I am in the middle of doing an errand, so if it’s okay I will ask about it later

そうかドライアド様なら知っているかも!
That’s right, Dryad might know about it!

自分で行ってみる!
I will try to go myself!

Page 33

勢いで来ちゃたけど
I am came here full of energy, but

ドライアド様の所まで行くの結構大変なんだよね
Getting to Dryads place is very difficult

鳥さんも気をつけてね
You watch out too, Bird

あと少し。。。
Just a bit more…

よし やっと出口だ〜
Okay, finally, an exit.

Page 34

ドライアド様はこの大木の精霊で
Dryad is the spirit of this great tree.

ここにいてずっと森を見守ってくれてるんだよ
[Dryad] has been watching over the forest from here.

それじゃあ 呼んでみよっか!
Well then, let’s try to call out [for Dryad]

2 Likes
p27

These two sentences belong together. It roughly means “I, the strong and scary wolf, scare them out of the forest”

TBH, I would attribute this to Ookami-chan, “I protect the safety of the forest”

p29

人影 can mean “a human figure”. A bit more natural than “was that the shadow of a person”

p32

そうだよね is closer to something like “it’s like that, huh”, but the translation won’t be natural easily

3 Likes
p. 27

It’s grammatically attributed to Ookami-chan too, because she’s the implied subject.

3 Likes

I had one more question.
In “ここにいてずっと森を見守ってくれてる” from page 34, am I correct in thinking that the くれてる is くれて+いる and gives the meaning of “to do something for someone else’s benefit”? So, Dryad-sama watches over the forest (for our benefit)?

1 Like
p34

Yeah, actually misread that the first time I explained it, now that I look at it better

No problem! I was a little confused, thinking that maybe I had missed some strange form/ combination of て and an auxiliary verb. Thanks again! (´。• ω •。`)

The original idea was the て form of てくる, which would be “to continue to do something”, which would make sense, but the て form of that would be てきて, not てくれて

2 Likes