しろくまカフェ Vol 1: Absolute Beginner Book Club

Really excited to start! first book club in wanikani already got the book (bis version no idea if that is good or not :)) thanks for setting this up

2 Likes

I started studying this through your deck. Thank you for doing this!!!

2 Likes

So in one week I will be in Japan and hopefully I will find a nice and cheap version there. Can’t wait to do a little shopping for other books too.

I will be joining the club here late, since I want to have fun in Japan and not lurk in the forum. Even though I will miss this quite a bit I guess.

But hopefully I can catch up.

6 Likes

Oh man, that font at the top of the book is making me doubt whether I can read basic kana :grimacing:

3 Likes

Can it be worse that this from 放浪息子?

Original Post

7 Likes

Send photos. :smiley:

Sure can do. You can remind me in a few weeks time.

1 Like

Hi! I am interested in joining in, but am having trouble obtaining a copy of the comics for a reasonable price.

I live in Canada, and the shipping costs, even from Amazon.com, are $70+!!

I’d love to buy a eManga. I imagine that’s what you get from eBook Japan. However, I can’t seem to find how/where you make an account? I can only find where to login assuming you already have an account.

I tried to follow this guide, but the second option that is says to select is not there when I go to the menu. It just has “Login”, then “How to Use”, the “FAQ”. Does anyone have any idea how I can legitimately obtain a copy for a reasonable price in Canada?

Thanks!

I bought しろくまカフェ on eBookJapan and I was able to do so thanks to this article so this might work for you too

1 Like

Hi OwLorenz,

Thanks for the tip! However, I’m having the same problem with that guide as I was with the other guide, namely that the “会員登録” option does not exist on that site for me to click.

Could you please do me a favour? Could you go to eBook Japan and, if the link 会員登録 is there, click on it and then send me the resulting link? Maybe I just can’t access the link for some reason.

Thank you!

It looks like they moved/are in the process of moving to a new site (acquired by Yahoo? or something?) and you can no longer make an account at the original site as of 2/28/19. Try going through this link instead: https://ebookjapan.yahoo.co.jp/

There is also the option of buying the ebook from bookwalker. I like their reader much better than ebookjapan’s tbh.

2 Likes

Or https://booklive.jp I started using it because it had ふしぎ駄菓子屋 銭天堂 and bookwalker didn’t work for me for some reason, and I didn’t really bother:D And ebookjapan’s loading time is so long for me.

1 Like

I ordered it today and it will take two to three weeks from Japan. Hopefully I can make it to the start. Should be fun to read with everyone :).

1 Like

Yeah, I got a message through my existing eBookJapan account about transferring to Yahoo! Japan. I muddled through the Yahoo! Japan sign-up process as best I could with Rikaikun, had some adventures doing a captcha in hiragana, and had to enter both a 郵便番号 and a 性別 in the process, neither of which I really have. I think I now have a Yahoo! Japan account that is associated with my existing eBookJapan account, but I’m not sure if it’s given me access to my previously purchased しろくまカフェ e-book yet. I’ll keep an eye on it. (Edit: It did show up a few minutes later.)

So by way of warning, if you’ve already purchased it on eBookJapan, you may have to go through a transfer process eventually, and it doesn’t seem too straightforward. Hopefully someone will make a guide for that before it becomes completely mandatory.

I just saw that. D: I have like 500 (free) downloaded manga. :weary: I don’t like transfers at the best of times, imagine now in Japanese.

2 Likes

Just got my copy delivered today! This will be my first book club on here. Can’t wait!

5 Likes

My copy arrived today too! I was worried it wouldn’t be here until April, so I’m excite.

3 Likes

wow, it frustrates me because i dont understand japanese well, so i wont understand the process and what to do but i dont want to loose any of my mangas and the access

So I managed to go through the transfer process yesterday and while it wasn’t the easiest thing I’ve ever done it also wasn’t as horrible as i thought it would be

I’ll try to sum up how I did it but since I already made the transfer I can’t check if everything is correct nor take screenshots of most of the process

• Go here: 無料まんが・試し読みが豊富!電子書籍をお得に買うならebookjapan
  • Login using your existing ebookjapan account
  • You will land on a long page filled with lots of stuff I didn’t really understand but on the bottom you should find two buttons: one to create a new yahoo japan account and one to link an existing one (I couldn’t see the buttons using google chrome so I had to use edge but that might just be my problem)
  • Click the first, it will bring you to this page
  • Click the circled link and you will find yourself on the registration form
  • For the japanese postal code you can insert a random one (123-4567) or just google for a real one if you get an error
  • As you fill the form an hiragana chaptcha will appear, good luck with that
  • Submit the form and at this point you might end up in a page about the transfer of T-Points (something that you earned from previous purchases) where you might have to confirm some of the info you provided earlier
  • Confirm those info too and now you should get an email with a confirmation code to input in the next page.

And if I remember correctly this should be it. You successfully created an Yahoo Japan account.
At this point you should see a page telling you that you transferred everything correctly and a link to the new ebookjapan website. If this doesn’t happen, don’t worry. Just go back to the first page you visited and use the button for those who already have a Yahoo Japan account (you now have one), login with that and now your transfer should be complete.

As @NLeseul said it takes a few minutes for your ebooks to show up on the new site (took almost an hour for me, of course I wasn’t freaking out at all…)

As I said I can’t guarantee that this is the exact procedure but I think I did something along those lines and it worked so…

I hope this can help someone

9 Likes