しろくまカフェ Vol 1: Absolute Beginner Book Club

Sorry about your cat, I can understand you weren’t feeling good enough to study. But I’m glad to hear that you are willing to pick it up again, books look great! :slight_smile:
Don’t be discouraged, you can do it! :muscle:
がんばりましょう

3 Likes

I made a kitsun.io deck for the first chapter… I was going to upload it and paste the link here in case anyone wants to use it, but it says to publish I need to own the content and it can’t be copyrighted? I didnt do any of the translations but its open source/creative commons right? @MissMisc you made the spreadsheet so do you know if this is okay or not? Thanks!

5 Likes

You literally own the content, since you created the deck. It‘s not like you are sharing the panels of the manga, right? I see no problem here.

Okay, maybe not so easy, but did you put the vocabs frommthe spreadsheet into kitsu? Or every sentence with translation? If it‘s only the vocabs, then theres absoluy no problem

1 Like

I got the ebook version, so excited to start. The font is a bit small but i will deal.

I’ve looked into “fair use” rules a bit. I’m no lawyer, but making and sharing a free flashcard deck does not violate any copyright laws. In my opinion, even if you used every Panel from the book in the flashcard deck it would still be ok since it doesn’t allow you to read the book since the flashcards get out of order. If you are just using the sentences typed out then it is even less of a concern.

Well, but you could read through the cards. I actually think that would be dubious.

Anyway, I think everyone is getting unnecessarily intense about this. The point of that restriction is that you’re not supposed to rip off other people’s decks, or make a textbook available as a deck or whatever. It’s more about whether someone else does own the content.

It’s fine to make a community deck of vocabulary from a community spreadsheet put together here on the forums.

4 Likes

:point_up_2: what Radish said!

:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I don’t know where yours is shipping from, but if it makes you feel any better, mine said it would arrive Feb 22-March 14th and it arrived on Feb 22. So with any luck you won’t be waiting too long.

1 Like

Figure you might want official confirmation about this (I’m the creator):

It is absolutely fine, like @Radish8 stated, it is actually just to prevent sharing stuff like actual textbooks and whatnot. I see no issue at all with providing vocabulary of books/manga etc. I even published a few decks with that kind of content myself (Kino’s Journey and a few other light novels)

Thanks for using Kitsun and sharing your deck by the way! I’m sure it will be helpful to others :smiley:

7 Likes

Thank youuuu! I will publish it then! and thanks for creating kitsun.io !
also thank you @MissMisc !

3 Likes

I just published a deck of cards on kitsun.io - its the first chapter of vocabulary taken from the google sheet. I hope it is helpful : )

you can try it yourself here!

also I can’t guarantee it’ll be perfect, I was a bit confused as to how the formatting works, so you might get quizzed more than usual on the same item…
personally, I’m going to try and study the vocab a week or two ahead of the reading schedule so I’ll be prepared for it. but you may have other ideas, so do whatever.
let me know whether you use this and find it helpful!

14 Likes

I went ahead and ordered volumes 2-4 from Kinokuniya instead of Amazon. I should have just bought all of them from there, it worked out to be way cheaper than the seller I found on Amazon.

I just purchased the ebook! I’m excited to go over the vocab and start reading! This will be my first book club. I’ve read a few things before but it’s been a challenge. I’m thrilled to have all of the resources you’re all putting together here on the forum. Thanks all. <3

3 Likes

I bought from Amazon.ca and it shipped from Japan. Said to arrive by March 14th but actually arrived yesterday.

1 Like

Lol I feel ya there! I’m also just waiting D:

1 Like

Hey, I setup this bookclub and lately I’m not doing anything!

8 Likes

I’m counting on you the 13th onward to guide all the absolute beginners through their first book club :wink:

3 Likes

It’s been almost a whole month since I even ordered, so fingers crossed for any day now, I guess.

Cheers for the solidarity though!

Haha, I feel like the person who went through all the trouble shouldn’t have to do anything but watch the rest of us scramble. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

This is awesome for studying. ありがとうございます。

1 Like

Thank you! You’re wonderful.
I was going to do the same thing so I’m super glad somebody else did hah :slight_smile:

1 Like