しろくまカフェ Vol 1: Absolute Beginner Book Club

You were probably using Adblock. :open_mouth:

1 Like

:neutral_face: Woops :sweat:

Yeah that might be the case… I found it weird at first because I was missing an entire block of page with a bunch of text, not just the buttons. But as every good software engineer should do I thought of every possible reason except the most obvious one :no_mouth:

2 Likes

You know it. :stuck_out_tongue:
Thank you so much! It indeed wasn’t that hard, but your guide was very helpful. :slight_smile:
Now I have a Yahoo!Japan account, I think? :sweat_smile: It might come in handy at some point.

1 Like

Wonderful. That looks pretty consistent with what I remember. Just a couple of things I’d add:

• I don’t think you need to use a real postal code. I just put in 123-4567 for mine, and it didn’t seem to complain. (As far as I can tell, there’s no such place in actual Japan.)
  • I did see another registration step after this where I had to confirm gender, birthdate, and postal code, I think… something about the “T-Points” system. I may have only gotten that because I tried to select その他 for my gender, and that second form only offered me 男性 and 女性.
  • I think after that, I had to go back to that original transfer page on eBookJapan and enter my Yahoo! Japan login there so it could connect the accounts.
  • You are effectively signing up for a Yahoo! Japan e-mail account here, so you may want to set up some way of accessing that account in case anything important goes there. The normal “Yahoo!” option in the Android Gmail app worked for me to add it as an IMAP account.
  • As far as I can tell, there is no Yahoo! Japan e-reader app available for Android in the US region. So that’s one thing we’re losing due to this transfer.
1 Like

I tried a random one and got an error so I went on and googled one… Maybe it was a little too random :sweat_smile:

Oh right, there was a page about the transfer of T-Points or something like that, but I think I got that later on, after I created and confirmed the account.

I’ll update my original post just in case, thanks for the info

I hope my book arrives on time. I ordered it over a month ago T T

1 Like

I think I did it right, but I cannot find the book I bought. May it take a while to transfer?

Yes, it may take up to an hour, but I don’t think it’d take that long for a single book.

Yeap! It’s there now.

In order to get the new app for iOS, do I need a Japanese Apple ID?

:cold_sweat: すみませんが、知りません。

Seems like the app is only available in the Japanese App Store (for now, at least). Maybe they’ll publish it in other regions too, but since the yahoo! app is not entirely new, it’s rather unlikely. To access the Japanese App Store you’d need a Japanese Apple ID.

Any tip on how to create one? I have an US account, and now I’ve moved to Barcelona and I need to migrate it to Spain… and I’ll have to create a one for Japan… pfff

Just ordered my copy. I should have it by Wednesday. So excited! :green_book::bug: This is also my first community post, so hello everybody!

9 Likes

You just have to provide an address, but they don’t check it, so you can put in a random address from google maps I think. Also, I don’t think you can use a non-Japanese credit card for payment, so you’d need to buy gift cards online or while you’re in Japan (but maybe there’s another workaround that I don‘t know of, but that’s what I always did).
Some problems arise when you login with another Apple ID onto a device where you’ve used another ID before. Once you buy something on the Japanese App Store, you can’t switch back to your old one and download already bought stuff from your other account for 90 days. So, you should download everything you bought (apps, books, music etc.) before you decide to buy something on the Japanese Store.

However, switching back and forth and downloading free apps and updates from either store is no problem, and everything you already downloaded will stay on your phone. (I think there’s some more problems when you have an Apple Music subscription, but I can’t comment on that).

So it’s a bit of a hassle when getting started, and you have to be aware of this 90 day limit (probably to prevent you from people sharing Apple ID‘s and downloading each other‘s stuff without paying themselves), but if you don’t usually delete and redownload stuff you bought in the past, you should be fine.

Thank you for this! I didn’t know about kitsun until now, and I’ve been rolling through your deck this morning.

1 Like

You can order a copy from japanese amazon straight to a convenience store near where you’re staying. It’s less than 500 yennies.

Okay, I received my book yesterday and I don’t even know where to begin. Japanese books are structured so much differently than English books. Should I be typing in hiragana into WaniKani to try and figure out what something says?

1 Like

If you go to the first post in this thread you will see a link to a vocab list. Click on that and it will take you to an on-line file with different pages for each chapter of the book. There you will find a list of all the words in the book and their meanings. If I were you, I’d start with that list in front of you on the computer and the book in your hand, and start identifying words in the book and what they mean. And then ask questions here as soon as the club has opened. Good luck!

4 Likes

ありがとう :grinning:

1 Like

I bought my volume 1 and 2 off CDJapan and the rest from FromJapan.
You could try there?