おじさまと猫 (Ojisama to Neko) Volume 3 Discussion

How’s it going everyone? Are we enjoying Chapter 32?

Last page of Chapter 32…

Why are they so tall? I literally know all of two people that tall here. Why? What’s wrong with average height or being slightly tall??

I’m too American to understand their metric heights.

Okay, let’s see… Our wonderful おじいさま is almost 5’11". Sounds about right, as a beloved gentleman must have a commanding stature. When people look up to him, they really look up to him.

And his so-so friend is about 6’. Don’t know what’s up with that. Must have had a giraffe as an ancestor or something. Maybe he just likes looking down on people.

(These heights don’t seem too tall to me, but this is set in Japan, so…)

As for the chapter, are after-operation cones no longer a thing? Is that for female cats only? It’s been a looong time since I was in a household with a fresh litter of cats reaching “operation” age, so I can’t remember whether our male cats were coned after or not.

1 Like

In Japan, the average height for guys is about 5’7"/5’8"ish. I am acutely aware because it’s my height and have things standardly made to suit my height is not something I’m used to lol. There really aren’t many tall people at all here though.

Our female cat never needed one. I think it depends on the temperament of the cat, but if you have several or they exhibit excessive grooming pre-operation, I could see adding a cone to be on the safe side at least.

1 Like

Our female cats always got the cone. I wonder if maybe some vets back in the 1990’s just always went the cone route.

Then again, most of our cats were the children or grandchildren or great grandchildren of this one stray we took in, so it’s possible there was a genetic disposition to grooming that would have warranted the cone. I recall at least two of them were always trying to get to where the stitches were (only to be thwarted by the cone).

I do recall for certain one of our male cats having the cone, but that was unrelated, so maybe it was only the female cats.

1 Like

That’s certainly possible! Our cat was fixed back in the 2000s.

Oddly enough, she had OCD and one of her ticks was that she would compulsively lick her flank and then run a lap if she got bothered by something. She didn’t really overgroom herself though.

(Since I read short-chapter series on Saturdays, my comments may occasionally be one or two days ahead of schedule.)

Me looking at the title on page 33: “I have no idea what this is trying to say.” (That’s after having to look up half the words.)

Me after turning to page 34: “Oooooooooh. I see.”

Page 37: Makes me want a pet cat, but I’d be totally unreliable on keeping things alive. (And I’m too cheap frugal.)

Page 39: Doing an image search for 「猫まっしぐら」 gave me this.

Screenshot_20210424_141624

1 Like

Somewhere in chapter 33 (why do some series shun page numbers???), I found the word 「デリカシー」 to be a complete mystery to me until I tried saying it out loud. I feel like I have made a huge discovery in working out loan words.

Moriyama's explanation for why it's okay for his all-males students if he hasn't taken a bath, I'd say it sounds about right.

1 Like

Lol, loanwords are the death of me. I have to try saying each new one out loud

I forgot to bring my book to work today ): it’s a perfect day to get some reading done.

I finally took a look at page 32, the last page of the vet chapter lol and I love the character info!

I feel I shouldn’t be surprised at all that 小林(こばやし) is a leo. I also love how 神田(かんだ)'s given name is 冬樹(ふゆき) while 小林(こばやし)'s is 夏人(なつひと). Just the way their polar opposite natures are reflected in their names is really cute to me.

1 Like

Chapter 34 felt like a nice change of pace somehow (even if it is just continuing off of chapter 33). And it seems like Fukumaru may have found himself a new friend.

Page 81

124x

124y

125x

125y

1 Like

I’m a bit behind again, but I should be able to read a chapter a day at work to make up for it. I’m on page 34 now, Fukumaru wants in the bathroom, and it reminds me so much of my cat. She would throw a fit if the bathroom door so closed so she couldn’t lurk while you bathed. Such a little creeper lol. She’d also try to drink the bathwater if I was taking a bath. However I pretty much only take baths when using salts or bath bombs. While I trusted Lush’s nontoxic products, I didn’t want her to get sick, so she was constantly trying to sneak tastes of my purple or gold bathwater. It was challenging to fight her off lol.

How are you doing, @noko ? Did your copy arrive on time?

@anon3564849 how far have you gotten already?

I’m a bit stumped by (おれ)()()なった()がするぜ page 45, 2nd panel, almost center of the page. I couldn’t even get the ime to give the right kanji, I had to edit the furigana. I think that he’s saying that he’s getting the feeling of becoming good/improving, but I don’t understand if うま is supposed to refer to horse or some other reference I’m unfamiliar with.

1 Like

Has anyone seen a little lost く? It was last seen on page 45. It’s known to hide behind computer monitors. If found, please contact @DIO-Strawberry. =D

You may already be familiar with this, but 上手(うま)い is one of the ways うまい can be written.

1 Like

Now that I’m looking around just past page 45, I’m noticing some things I was curious about when I read chapter 33, but then forgot before getting to chapter 34. Let’s just say after finishing chapter 34, if you look back through chapter 33 some things make sense. (Panels from pages 49 to 53.)

1 Like

I was not familiar with that usage of 上手(うま)い lol. Indeed it does help when typing things correctly :joy: Now things make sense

:eyes: I’m almost there. I was just about to ask if she really called him durian on the middle of page 48 lol. I shall pay extra attention to these next pages then!

1 Like

That “durian” stood out to me, too. At first I thought, “Why did she call him that?” Then I remembered what durian fruit look like, and what he looks like, and I thought, “Wow. She really called him that.”

1 Like