おじさまと猫 (Ojisama to neko) book club

Ahh, I’ve really been wanting to start reading more for practice. This seems like the perfect opportunity! I’ll go to the bookstore tonight! :smiley:

1 Like

Ooh, I saw this one at the bookstore a couple of weeks ago and thought it looked so sweet! I’d love to read it with a club. I’m new to reading native material but might as well jump in with both feet.

3 Likes

Frayderike pointed out that we could postpone the starting date of the book club, to give more people the chance to buy a physical copy. So let’s vote! :blush:

• Let’s start the club as planned (24th of August)
  • Let’s postpone the start to the 7th of September

0 voters

Whichever date is fine by me, so I’ll abstain from voting.

3 Likes

I am very happy someone decided to read this in the book club :smile:
I ordered a physical copy of it sometime last week, so it might still take a while for it to arrive, but I’ll gladly join in then.
Thanks for organising everything! :blush:

2 Likes

The other option is to time it to follow after Big Brother Rental (the manga currently being read by the Absolute Beginners’ Club), but I appreciate you seem to want to start right away, and post-BBR would mean waiting till November.

Either way though, for most people outside of Japan at the moment it’s taking a fair bit longer than 2-3 weeks for anything to arrive, I think.

1 Like

Yay! Thank you for joining! :smile:

Yay! Thank you for joining! Welcome! :smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I appreciate the input! :blush:
So far the majority vote is that we get started on the 24th of August, as first planned, and the pace of the reading will be very slow (1 chapter a week, the chapters are very short) so it’s possible for those who haven’t received their physical copy yet, to join in and catch-up. Also, the very first chapter can be read on the Bilingual Manga-webpage that I linked, so everyone is still able to join in on the first week read-through. :smile:

2 Likes

Went straight to the bookstore after work, and got it! The store even included a matching bookmark :pleading_face: I’m technically intermediate but I don’t have much experience with reading raw Japanese books (I’ve tried and just never finished anything). I feel like being in this group will be really motivating!

3 Likes

I won’t be joining this club because of the timing (sad about missing this one, I would have liked to read this with a club – I only saw the proposal in the Absolute Beginner Club a few days ago because they’re choosing the next book soon).

But the poll options for the starting date are skewed towards ebook readers and those who can find the book locally, which might be why the majority are ok for starting next week :slight_smile: Anyone who needs more time to ship the book can’t vote “even later”.

EDIT: just to clarify, I’m an ebook reader – when I said that the timing is why I can’t join myself, it’s because I’m already participating in other level-based and offshoot clubs that are reading books right now :blush: (So can’t squeeze in another club right now)

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to read this one, so hopefully I’ll have the time to join in! :blush:

I’m fine with starting on the 24th, but if people buying physical copies need more time I’m happy with starting later, too.

1 Like

If the majority wants to start reading it at an even later date, that’s fine too! Personally, I was just very excited and eager to get started (and had talked to some people on here about it beforehand, that already owned the book) and this is my first time ever starting a book club here. :sweat_smile: But I’ll make a new poll and the majority vote will have to decide:

• Let’s start reading on the 24th of August
  • Let’s start reading on the 7th of September
  • Let’s start reading even later (I need more time to buy the physical copy)

0 voters

(I’ll close the poll on Friday)

1 Like

Wow, a matching bookmark too! Now I’m jealous, haha! :heart_eyes:
Welcome to the club!! :smile:

2 Likes

If we start earlier, but some people are ordering a physical copy, you can read the first several chapters for free online (legit) in the meantime, giving you a whole two months to receive the physical copy.

16 Likes

Wow, awesome!! Thank you! :smile:

Oh my god I actually have this book. I’ve been reading it on my own but it’s slow going. I’m so excited to read it with you all.

4 Likes

Thanks so much! I think that’s all I need to know for now! I’ll be getting the book asap and join in :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It seems there are several popular comics available there. Even the yakuza househusband one
https://comic.pixiv.net/works/4679
Do you know if it’s that the artists are originally posting these stories to Pixiv or has Pixiv branched out commercially? Back when I used to actually check it out (over 5 years ago), it seemed like the Japanese version of Deviantart, an art website artists could post their work to.

A lot of these comics started out as free comics on Pixiv. You can find the original releases of レンタルおにいちゃん and おじさまと猫 on there, for example. In both cases, there’s no furigana, and they may have less polished artwork. I don’t know how the commercial side works, on what gets chosen for a commercial release, but I do know the two series I mentioned both had furigana added for their commercial releases. レンタルおにいちゃん also had the dialogue cleaned up, the artwork for later chapters was improved drastically, and extra chapters were commissioned to be written/drawn to allow for the commercial release to have a cohesive storyline.

Example of original and polished artwork:

Screenshot_20200819_194633 Screenshot_20200819_194644

Looking at the imprints, I see they are both under 「ガンガンコミックスpixiv」.

Kobo (where I buy e-books) show there are 126 releases (across a number of different series, with varying numbers of volumes, from various authors) under this imprint.

Here’s the first four chapters of おじさまと猫’s original free release:

3 Likes