前 readings

I just took a big step – I changed my facebook’s langauge to Japanese, at least for now. When it translates “ago,” it uses 前, eg 2分前.

Naturally I need to ask… which reading does 前 have here? まえ, ぜん, or even さき possibly?

I’ll admit, I’ve done some research and I’m fairly certain it’s まえ (google translate and yomikatawa seem to indicate so, though I don’t completely trust the former in general, and the latter used わけ for 分 which made me question it a little). Furthermore, according to Jisho, the meaning of “ago” only appears in the entry that gives the まえ reading, so… that’s pretty convincing. I’m mostly just asking to be even more sure! And maybe it’ll spark some convo about the nuances of the different readings for 前.

まえ is the proper reading in this case.
2分前 is essentially saying “2 minutes before”

1 Like

Ok, I have another one… for, say, “… and 3 others,” it reads ”…他3人と”
Is that supposed to be た or ほか? When I use Google’s IME, typing “tasannninn” brings 他3人 up foremost. Typing “hokasannninn” I can get 他3人, but it’s a few suggestions down. yomikatawa claims ほか is the correct reading in this context, though. Putting it in Google Translate’s box doesn’t even provide a reading.

It’s ほか. You don’t use the on’yomi reading here because it’s a separate ‘word’ in this sense.

EDIT: I take that back, now I’m questing this myself, ugh…

2 Likes

Well, I hope it’s ほか, I’ve been reading it this way for months now… my life better not be a lie…

1 Like

After very brief research, I think it’s た.

I think for one other person and two other people it’s ほか because Japanese uses it’s own readings for those numbers of people (ひとり and ふたり), making it technically a triple-threat kun’yomi reading

So, you use た for all other numbers of people because you use on’yomi readings… I think.

I also sort of wondered if something like this may be the case. I feel like we may need a native speaker for this one.

I don’t see why it would be た. Showed it to my girlfriend and she said ほか.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.