Worth writing kanji?

You are a true internet hero.

2 Likes

Well, as long as weā€™re arguing over definitions, ā€œable to physically write a character with a marky thingā€ is not precisely the same thing as ā€œable to visualize the shape of a character without reference, and to materially demonstrate the accuracy of said visualization.ā€

Youā€™re steelmanning his argument again, far beyond the most generous possible reading of what he said, one of example of which is:

4 Likes

He wrote a lot, so it is easy to forget about these details.

4 Likes

I originally bought this book to learn kanji before I discovered wanikani and it was very useful in the beginning. I must admit one major drawback is the use of romaji everywhere but I do intend to return to the book when I decide to invest more time into writing. Some of the alternative handwritten kanji are very different so I suspect it will be very useful.

1 Like

ā€œSteelmanningā€ is a term Iā€™ve never heard before, though I can tell the meaning from the context. I guess if strawmanning exists, steelmanning must also, but itā€™s a curious thought.

Poeā€™s Law. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Cant believe this is still going on. The amount of silly memes from all the children here could easily have been used by putting pen to paper and memorising them. Picking a Kanji from multiple choice entries is not really knowing it. I guess the ones that do that donā€™t really want to learn anything at all and do not want to strive to achieve more above their potential. I have no time for people who want to look at things and say no its too hard, I would rather interact with people who aspire to be better and try to achieve more and step up to a higher level. People who donā€™t try to learn more or strive for better things do not know what it is like to win and lose which is why they feel so upset when the cold hard truth gives them a wake up call.

4 Likes

I think you need a hug.

12 Likes

Oh, now weā€™re supposed to spend every waking hour hand-writing kanji? Canā€™t we have some time off to come here and poke fun at people?

12 Likes

11 Likes

I was trying, but WaniKani has some silly ideas about what you can put in a post, so Iā€™m dedicating my mandatory sentence to you :smile:

@Sutho81 I hope this will make you feel better:

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

2 Likes

It is the opposite of strawmanning, but where you try to figure out the best possible form of an argument so you can test your opinion against that. Itā€™s a good thing to do, rather than just dismissing an opinion because the person spouting it doesnā€™t make a strong case themselves.

But I think you can take it too far and give too much of the benefit of the doubt to a plainly weak argument.

@Sutho81 has clearly just descended into trolling at this point, whether his original assertion was sincere or not. Coming back regularly just to say you donā€™t have time for this pointless argument youā€™re actually keeping going is an extremely banal troll maneuver.

6 Likes

Everyone should load up his last post with likes and flood the thread with replies full of hugs.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Like @Belthazar, this thread had some positive influence on me. I did google steelmaning, ended up on the ā€œless wrongā€ wiki and learned a lot. I also got to reflect on what it means to know kanji.

All in all, good thread, would post again.

In other news, I wonder about this part from the last post:

Where did that come from? I donā€™t remember any mention of multiple choice before in this thread. Could it be that they misunderstood what we are talking about?

5 Likes

From here, I imagine:

Which just makes it a pointless thing to say, since no one is arguing otherwise.

3 Likes

How did I miss this thread??? :joy::joy: I just spent my entire WK studying time reading it from the start. I may draw some lines on some paper to help me remember it though. Maybe Iā€™ll learn the kanji for ā€œenlightenedā€ and Iā€™ll certainly have a good story for it somewhereā€¦

3 Likes

Is he really going to stop posting? :flushed: :pleading_face: :sob:

I hope not, this was so much fun.

3 Likes

Woo, this thread was a hoot.

Actual response:
I use Kanji Study App and made a bit of an SRS out of its writing checker. I spend maybe 5 or 10 minutes a day on it; Iā€™ve worked my way to being able to write (on screen, anyway) nearly all the kanji it categorizes as N5 and N4.

I found that it really helps me remember the make up of kanji, in a way that wanikani never did. After the initial mnemonic scaffolding wore off, Iā€™d remember the general shape and feed of a kanji, but there was no way I could describe how it looked or reproduce it myself, and I was prone to confuse it with similar kanji.

Now that Iā€™ve added just a little bit of writing, yeah, I remember the structure much better. And itā€™s kind of fun and relaxing in its own way.

I donā€™t regularly write on paper, and thatā€™s even more difficult than finger drawing on my phoneā€™s screen. But I can do it, though I sometimes have to jog my memory with a dictionary app.

2 Likes