Wishing for better default synonyms

Why is “doctor” not a default synonym for the 医 kanji card? More than half of the vocab terms that use it on wk’s list are just types of doctors. Whenever I look at this character I immediatly think, oh, doctor. And then I get it wrong and bust a nerve somewhere.

And yes I do know you can add your own synonyms but it still drives me crazy when the most common way a character is used is not at least on the default list.

I feel the same way with 陽 and “cheerful” as a synonym but that one might be a harder sell.

2 Likes

WK is sparing with default synonyms on kanji in general, probably because they want you to focus on the “main” meaning they have created a mnemonic around. I completely agree with your sentiment though.

5 Likes

Hey there,

Thanks for bringing this up, I’m going to let the content team know about it as it might well be something they’d like to change. I’ll mention 陽 and cheerful also while I am at it.

I’ll let you know what they say once they get back to me.

Update: We have added “doctor” to the allow list for 医 and we decided to add “positive” as one of the accepted meanings for 陽 rather than “cheerful”.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.