Why do some radicals break previous mnemonics?

So this happened with another radical and already annoyed me, but it just happened again so here I go:
The radical “kiss” (WaniKani / Radical / Kiss) is used in the 客 kanji, but in WaniKani / Kanji / 客 for the mnemonic it just uses the mouth and winter radical.

This is total bs!
Does it confuse anybody else that sometimes a radical of the combination is used for the mnemonic and sometimes the individual radicals are used?
For me personally it’s really hard to remember the mnemonic and makes me mess up some burn reviews. And I’m pretty sure it’s not just this one radical.
Ok, rant over…

10 Likes

I found it a bit annoying when wk gave you a complicated mnemonic that would later turn out to partially consist of a kanji in its own right.

6 Likes

If I find those, I usually create my own mnemonics, since otherwise it will definitely mess me up later on.

4 Likes

Yes! I noticed this too, it’s hella annoying. It makes it harder for me to remember the mnemonics because I always forget whether it’s broken up or not. But lately I’ve been making my own mnemonics anyway for a lot of new stuff :confused:

Another one! Lineage (WaniKani / Radical / Lineage) breaks the 係 mnemonic. ARGHHHH

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.