When to use から or ので

Hi!
So I’ve been doing a lot of translation from English to Japanese, and I find that I have two issues whenever I check the sentence.
I seem to always get the から or ので part wrong.
I couldn’t find any helpful topics so I thought I’d make one :slight_smile:
So here are some sentences that I got wrong:

彼女の家がきれいだったので、真がとりたくなったが、デジタルカメラを家に忘れて
来たのに気がついた.
(As her house was beautiful, I wanted to [lit. became to want to] take some photos of it,
but I realised that I had left my digital camera at home.)
I put から where it was ので。I thought the reason to use ので is more of an excuse and から more as a reason.

Here’s one more:
パイロットは、「もしもし。すみませんが、あなたの家はひこうきをとめるのに、小さすぎて、ひこうきがとめられないから、あなたの家の前にリムジンをとめなければいけませんでした」と言った。
(The pilot said, “Hello, sir. I am afraid that your house is too small to land [lit. to stop]
the plane, so we had to park [lit. stopped] a limousine in front of your house”.)
Here I felt ので was more appropriate as the part in front was more polite.

Tbh I’m don’t quite get when to use kara or node, and I know it’ll come with time but has anyone got any clear cut explanations on it.
Thanks

They are sometimes interchangeable, so just because you used one and the other was shown doesn’t automatically mean you were “wrong”.

1 Like

node is just politer than kara, but kara can be used at the end of sentence aswell. but with node/ kara if theres a na adjective / noun before the thing it becomes dakara / nanode, and kirei is a na adjective. so theres a slight mistake there

ok thats good to know, i’m self marking so I can’t tell if i’d lose marks

but shouldn’t a na adjective become datta node while in the past tense?

ので is actually an explanatory の with theです shortened to its て-form. Due to this property, it allows the speaker to talk more about the​ natural progression of events that have a logical relationship. In other words, the ので sentence acts like a giant て-form verb, which indirectly precedes the main clause that contains the main verb. Since the relationship to the following clause is indirect, it sound more polite. から, On the other hand, explicitly points to the sentence before it as the reason or cause. So they can be interchangeable to an extent, but there are times when using から is too direct to be appropriate in certain contexts. For example,
昨日、友達が家に来たので、出かけられなかった。
Yesterday a friend came to my house, so I couldn’t go out.
昨日、友達が家に来たから、出かけられなかった。
Yesterday, I couldn’t go out because a friend came over.

In the first example, referencing the fact that a friend came over is naturally a good reason preventing someone from going out, the decision not to go out is assumed to be result of the speaker’s feelings about the circumstances. The second sentence, however, the speaker points out the reason why they don’t go out. Just by the lack of information in this sentence, it seems that the friend was the barrier keeping the speaker from going out. In essence, the speaker blames the friend instead of implying that they had a choice in the matter.

Explicit reasons use から, while naturally progressing sequences of events use ので.

12 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.