When should I start over?

What you do is press one of the characters in the word and then it automatically selects what it thinks the whole word is. Then if it parses it wrong you can change the highlighted characters yourself. Once you do that it gives you a dictionary look up of either Japanese to English (with example sentences) or Japanese word definition. It also does a quick wikipedia search for you too which is helpful for Scientific terms or Historic events (stuff that an encyclopedia would be good for and not a dictionary). It also lets you select an entire sentence which you can then Bing translate to English automatically. While the dictionary is not always useful especially for old words and kanji (had a problem reading old books like 人間失格) it is pretty dynamic in terms of what it does and how fast and conveniently it does it. When I started reading I lived in Japan so I would get whatever light novels I felt like there, it was a pain in the but to lookup kanji or the furigana of a word I forgot or didn’t know. So when I moved back to Canada I started reading e-books because I couldn’t get the real thing. In the end the convenience for a language learner made it so easy to learn I’ll probably find it hard to go back to paper books (Probably better for the environment anyway)

1 Like