What to do when the mnemonics just don't stick?

Indeed. Scared for life )
I’m glad the “poop” one is still with us, though.

1 Like

Yep it sure works too!. I hope they don’t become too well behaved in their mnemonics. I won’t ever remember anything!

3 Likes

OK, so the mnemonic for 義務 is:
“My righteousness task is my obligation to these people.”

I can never make the link between ‘righteous task’ and ‘obligation’, so I came up with my own mnemonic; There’s a band named ‘Gimu’, and I’m obligated to listen to them. These sorts of mnemonics are a lot easier for me to remember.

And I normally only do this if I’ve gotten it wrong a lot.

1 Like

Let’s talk it out as it helps all of us :grinning:

Holy crabigator, that’s a bit long for me :innocent: :crabigator: ! The difference between a ‘righteous task’ and ‘obligation’ is not a stretch IMO so I’m just seeing ‘righteous task’=‘obligation’ in this instance. I see this is the literal provided meaning explanation (and not necessarily meant to use as a mnemonic). Or “we are obligated to do the right thing (or righteous task)”.

For 比例, that’s not as smooth (comparing example) but is also ‘ratio’ so ‘ratio examples’ doesn’t sound far from ‘proportions’ to me.

批判, criticism or judgment both work…It’s the same thing as the kanji so can’t go wrong. I may suggest looking outside of WK for more synonyms that work as they certainly don’t list them all.

Regarding the timeline ultimatums, I’ve never found them to be healthy nor productive. If you enjoy it, just keep doing it but just my experience.

2 Likes

what is that great Hard Gay mnemonic everybody’s talking about everywhere ?

what is that great Hard Gay mnemonic everybody’s talking about everywhere ?

1 Like

In short, an old mnemonic:

1 Like

You could either create mnemonics for yourself, or make a list of the difficult ones to remember on Quizlet and review that a few times a day.

1 Like

I’m in a similar situation to you, I started years ago and after several hiatuses, I have just reset to the beginning cause of a similar situation to yours. One thing that has helped and that i’d really recommend is recording myself saying all of the vocab words for each level when I level up, and listening a few times every day (they’re only about 1-2 mins each). It sort of makes sense to your brain when you already know the word outside of kanji and helps you remember the reading of it. Good luck!

1 Like

Also for finding the words in context I love Weblio! 英語例文検索 ~ビジネスメールや英文の手紙の文例~ - Weblio辞書
Just put the word you are having trouble with and it will give you so many short examples to give you a feel as to how the word should work. This has been helping me A LOT lately. I just don’t always find that sentences help as much as the smaller examples, because I want to understand the usage and know how to use the word in a lot of different contexts rather than trying to figure out the meaning of a whole sentence. (Which can also be helpful but not for quicker studying)

Ex. with the word ‘自在’, I had trouble figuring out what it meant by ‘freely’. So put it in Weblio and I got:

1. 自在
    a freehand drawing
  2. 自在
    adjustable shelf
  3. 自在 コンパス
    a universal compass
3 Likes

Usually, I fail to make a mnemonic stick, so I come up with another. Then I totally forget it by the next review.
I do this over and over, until I just learn the kanji/vocab by brute force. I see it 42+ times, and eventually it sticks, maybe.

1 Like

If I’ve gotten a word wrong like 4 or 5 times in a row, I go back to the lesson screen and ponder it for awhile. “What would help me remember this?!?!”

It’s often pretty cheesy. For 更に, which is さらに, I literally walked into my kitchen, grabbed a plate, and yelled at it. “Again, さらに, again!”

You’d be surprised how much it helps to just clear out 8 or 9 repeat offenders. Your review % is often being tanked just by a very small number of items that are driving you bonkers.

2 Likes

Like many people in here said, I also find that creating my own mnemonics is the most helpful!

My “thought process” for creating a mnemonic usually goes like this:

• (a) Trying to associate the reading to something that has meaning for me, for instance: Vocab 毛: what has fur? Dogs have fur. I’m also learning korean, and dog in korean = “gae”, which sounds like “ke”

• (b) If trying to do (a) is taking to long, I try to “rearrange” the kanji strokes to form the reading, like: Kanji/Vocab 礼: by flipping the “umbrella” radical vertically we get an “r”; by taking the middle part of the “spirit” radical and flipping it horizontally we get something that resembles an “e”; what remains of the “spirit” radical forms an “i” (the little stroke at the top being the dot of the letter i); so together it spells “rei”

• If I can’t create something with either (a) or (b), then I try to think of an object that looks like the kanji and that has similar pronunciation: Vocab 町: looks like a matchbox with a match on the side; “match” = “machi”. I think about objects not only in English, but also in my native language (Portuguese), and sometimes in Korean

Most times, what I end up coming up with is either a bit of a stretch (especially in (b)) or totally ridiculous, but it seems to be working for me so far! :stuck_out_tongue:

Kaniwani has also helped a lot! https://www.kaniwani.com/

1 Like

Oh nice, I wasn’t aware of this site. Thanks for the heads up!

those are some good tips, cheers!
It’s interesting seeing everyone’s personal mnemonic ideas.

After reading your reply I tried saying some tricky ones out aloud, and I reckon it helped. Thanks for the tip. And good luck with your reset!

My API 1 will not work with KaniWani. in fact it doesnt work with anything anymore. how can I generatw one that will work. Can anyone help me please?

I do this as well, my first language is Bulgarian, which often actually lends itself better for mnemonics in this case than English.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.