What other resources should I use other than Wanikani?

I’m a beginner japanese learner. So far I’m really enjoying this site, but I feel like just studying japanese from this site isn’t enough. I’ve already learned hirigana, but not katakana since it rarely appears (at least in the levels im in… im still a noob haha) I can’t learn grammar yet since I don’t know enough words, but I can’t think of anything else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions for what else I could do for a beginner like me, other than wanikani?

2 Likes

Grammar is a must for beginners, since you say you don’t know enough words, you should study it in your native language.

There are sites like https://japanesetest4you.com/jlpt-n5-grammar-list/ and http://maggiesensei.com/ where you could start, but usually books are the way to go, like Minna no Nihongo and Genki.

Katakana doesn’t appear in Wanikani, as far as I remember, but there are a lot of online hiragana and katakana tests that you could use.

1 Like

Any good grammar resource will teach you the words you need along with each lesson. I’d recommend looking into Genki and Japanese From Zero.

5 Likes

I started by self-studying Japanese before going on to major in the language in university. I can say with absolute certainty that finding a good textbook is a must for beginning self-studiers. I used Genki and it really gave me a leg up. After just my self study with that textbook, nothing else, I was able to test out of the first level of Japanese classes at my university.

Also, as the people before me have said, learning grammar is a must at the early stages. It really doesn’t take a large vocabulary to start and it will end up serving you well to start with it right away.But, if you get a good Japanese textbook like Genki or Nakama or whatever else, it should teach you both throughout any give chapter.

2 Likes

Try and pick up a good textbook such as Genki to cover some grammar.

I’d also recommend some of the user-made courses on Memrise for vocab.

1 Like

You could try to hit 0 reviews and lessons on both KaniWani and KameSame. They are J-E sites. Or you could try learning to write Kanji with native or with tools that have correct stroke orders.

I encourage you to focus on your Kanji/Vocabs first using WaniKani, until you’re level 20, you could try BunPro to help your Japanese grammar.

I never feel intimidated by kanji anymore whenever I learn Japanese Grammar since I was WK level 20.

1 Like

genki is the book you want to get. is it perfect? no, but you’re not striving for perfection when you’re at that stage, and later on, when you have a vague idea of what you’ll need, you can try other resources.
genki is a good foundation.

2 Likes

Definitely spend some time learning the katakana since that shouldn’t take too long if you already know hiragana. Just because it doesn’t pop up much on WaniKani doesn’t mean you won’t see it elsewhere and most texts will use all three types of writing so it helps to be able to at least distinguish between them.

I’m using KaniWani alongside WaniKani so that might also be worth looking into if you are interested. I find it really does help reinforce the things I learn here.

2 Likes

It does appear in words like, フランス語、アメリカ人、ハート形

I learned hiragana and katakana by using this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dmeeuwis.kanjimaster
you do have to pay a small fee, but once you’re further on, you can also use it practice writing kanji

2 Likes

Alright everyone, thanks a ton for all your help. Guess I’ll start by getting the genki textbook, since most of you seem to like it so it must be popular. Sorry for the late reply by the way, I was busy for some time. Thanks everyone!

0 Likes

Do any of you recommend Lingodeer? Apparently it teaches more or less the same as Genki. Is it a good alternative?

0 Likes

Hey everyone, is this the book that I should get? Just making sure before I buy, since it is expensive.

https://www.amazon.ca/GENKI-Integrated-Course-Elementary-Japanese/dp/4789014401/ref=sr_1_2/130-9951919-7229808?ie=UTF8&qid=1544232100&sr=8-2&keywords=genki

And if anyone has any cheaper alternatives that’d be awesome!

0 Likes

Yes, it’s bloody expensive, and you’ll need the workbook too and the book with the answer keys. That’s just for one volume. There are two.

A cheaper and better alternative, in my opinion, is the Japanese From Zero series. Even though there are currently four books, each one is a separate book on its own with workbook and answer key, all included with each book.

1 Like

I am working on RocketJapanese.com. It is a paid site like WK, but they should be having a sale between now and early January. I love it because they cover hirigana and katakana, grammar, writing, listening, speaking, vocabulary, and a little bit of Kanji. They have reinforcement activities that are fun, a forum, and tests you can try. It’s well worth the money and I have learned a lot quickly! You can do everything at your own pace.

0 Likes

By chance, have you seen these topics?:

As for grammar, if you’re not ready to buy Genki, I suggest looking into the basic grammar section of Tae Kim to get your feet wet. Personally, I went through that guide before I started Genki I and I feel it put me in a really good position.

Imabi is an excellent resource for learning and it’s extremely thorough.

jtest4you offers multiple choice quizzes and grammar explanations divided by JLPT levels.

If you like youtube lessons, Japanese Ammo with Misa is a must.

You could also look into free apps to help you along the way. Obenkyo is great. Once you learn verb conjugation, Japanese Conjugation City is awesome for practicing. And I think that’s the most important point and why a lot of people do so well with the Genki books, as you really do get the opportunity for so much practice. So if you’re going to use alternatives to a textbook/workbook combo, make sure you’re making up your own sentences to use what you’re learning.

Good luck on your Japanese-learning journey! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did you know Tofugu (the team behind WaniKani) have a (sometimes-not-so) monthly series of articles called Japanese Learning Resources?

It’s really good, every month Michael and Kristen do their best to find the most useful japanese resources out there. As of today there are 21 of these articles with 5 - 8 resources each, surely you’ll find something useful for you. They always give a lot of details like the level of japanese you should have to use each resource.

Good luck and happy learning!

Edit: They also have guides on how to learn Hiragana and Katakana that you might find useful.

0 Likes

I personally only recommend LingoDeer if you plan to take a lot of notes and really practice with the grammar yourself outside of the app. Creating your own sentences with the grammar you learn in that lesson, and things like that.

Otherwise I’d say it’s okay for casual exposure, but pretty rubbish at teaching you grammar that you can recall and use, since it doesn’t expect enough input from the user.

Grammar exposure: yes. Teaching grammar for use: I found it very lacking.

Noooo, don’t tell yourself this! There are a huge amount of resource aimed at very beginners. It’s never too early to learn grammar, because without grammar, any language is utterly useless. ^-^ Get into a learning routine that covers both if at all possible. As someone else already said: take a look at the very long list of resources compiled here on the forum - good stuff there even for people at the very start!

3 Likes

Thanks for all the answers everyone! I really appreciate it. I managed to find a free copy of genki online with everything included hehe, and I’m gonna check out lingodeer and tae Kim. Thanks everyone!

1 Like