What keeps you coming back everyday?

what keeps me coming back everyday? my ocd
my motivation? my love for this beautiful country and culture

3 Likes

This.

44 Likes

For me, only knowing one language - English, in case it isn’t obvious - to any real degree is a constant source of frustration. The world is a large place, and being able to communicate in only one tongue is limiting in ways that I don’t care for.

I’m also doing it to keep my mind sharp. Constant learning, constant evolution, constant growth. Stagnation and complacency is death.

24 Likes

I‘m 60 and I still feel this way.

13 Likes

I wouldn’t mind. I usually watch it alone.
Have you watched that particular drama?

1 Like

I have that feeling especially when I’m reading Manga and watching J-Dramas. Each day I can feel my level of understanding grow, picking up more and more words and expressions. It’s such a rewarding feeling, like I’ve never experienced in my life before. My only regret? Not starting sooner. I’m 35, and if I had started 10 years ago I would be fluent by now. But WK didn’t existed 10 years ago, and my fear of starting has always been Kanji. If it wasn’t for WK I certainly wouldn’t be here right now.

I’ve watched so many it’s hard to pick a favorite. Each one is so unique and beautiful.

2 Likes
  • That tiny number on my profile image! Hey look it just became 4!!!
  • Sunk-cost fallacy! I paid for this membership so goddammit I’m going to get some value out of it!!!
11 Likes

I must say I do enjoy the level up emails from Koichi.

18 Likes

I’m also in this situation. This year my fiance and I are moving to Japan for at least 6 months so I can finally achieve my dream of living in Japan! I’m hoping the immersion will help me break through the wall. Currently wanikani, NHK easy, occasional Terrace House, and Skype Japanese tutoring are also helping me…

Japanese language and culture holds a special place in my heart. It was a subject I began learning when I changed to a new school as a child to help challenge me intellectually. Then trying Japanese food (due to my interest in the language) was what helped me to stop being a fussy eater (the source of much anxiety for mini Katherine). Those pivotal moments in my childhood means Japanese is part of me now, as much as I’m super white :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Well, it’s never too late. All it matters is to give your best and try, no matter what. I am almost 25 and i wish i started sooner too. I think there is never to late to start something that makes you happy and keeps your brain alert and alive.

4 Likes

For me a lot of things contributed to it. My friend got me into Naruto, I sometimes stumble upon interesting Japanese youtube videos, I’m subscribed to a lifestyle “vlogger”, I used to tinker with an 伺か after an English one was made public…
These things made me realize that there is a significant amount of Japanese content on the Internet that I’m missing out on. This, in addition to the culture and language being so fundamentally different from Western ones, got my interest enough to want to learn the language.
I also heard that Japanese has a lot of pun potential and I wish to exploit that

6 Likes

Hey, if it makes you feel better, I bought this book one year ago and kept it on my shelf to keep me motivated. When I first opened it I could understand very little, but now finally I’m able to read it. I still have to use the dictionary a lot for some parts (mainly when it’s about politics or detailed descriptions of places and things), but other parts go pretty smoothly. You’ll get there too!

2 Likes

It is amazing how much it can change your life for the better, right?

1 Like

My love for Koichi

3 Likes

This is gonna sound sad, but it’s super effective, so I have to say it. If I didn’t study Japanese, I don’t know what I’d do. I’ve long been disenchanted with my major (philosophy), and for now I don’t have to work. And even if I didn’t I don’t know what I could do that wouldn’t make me go insane from doing it. I don’t think I don’t want to work per se, I just want to work something that I at least don’t hate. And I don’t know what that is.

There was also a while before Japanese where I studies for uni a little, but mostly just had a ton of free time. After a while, even the fun things stopped being fun. Even a book that’s great, in the middle of it becomes boring. And the book didn’t change a bit! I was just apathetic towards everything.

And I’ve recently realized I don’t hate studying Japanese. So there’s that. I’ve done over 200 kanji reviews (on average, per day) for the past 172 days without a single day missed in addition to BP reviews. I’ve recently added sentences and listening on Anki, and I’m trying to translate something, but that last one isn’t going very well, as I’m busy with the former three things.

As for more optimistic things… I guess there’s a lot. I don’t rewatch a lot, but it would be nice to watch anime without subtitles in the future (or with subtitles, but getting more nuance) and read manga. And ofc, I could probably make more money translating, or even if I couldn’t I really don’t want to work in philosophy for a living, so translation could save me from that.

19 Likes

Put it simply. I love everything Japanese. I want to embrace and learn the culture. appreciate the media and fascinating stories it has to offer.

Most of all… my extreme love and passion for Japanese music. Their lyrics, melody, and stories they share all correlate with me than any other type of music. I want to make music that sounds Japanese and also is in the Japanese language

4 Likes

Habit, to be honest. I’m not sure I’d be picking Japanese now if I had to start from scratch.

But since I did pick it up, I’m going to stick working on it until it reaches a level where it self-sustains and improves on its own.

6 Likes

Gives me an excuse to take a break from work.

6 Likes

May I ask what you can do with a degree in philosophy? I don’t want to derail. But it got me curious. Sorry.

1 Like

Either teach or write philosophical articles. In the West (where I am not), I hear philosophers even branch out into marketing for example. Our late logic teacher also claimed that with some extra studying, we could get into computer science. (None of which I have any interest for, btw)