What is your way of Studying with wanikani?

This might be me showing my noobie but could u please tell me what the reorder script is :slight_smile: i see everyone talking about it but i have no idea what it is feels like i might be missing something amazing

1 Like

Thanks for this info. I need to spend some time analyzing this flow, to see how it works in practice. Listening and writing are the two things I feel most lacking currently.

I would also like to ensure I ultimately grasp higher order language structures, such as:

1. Antonym and synonyms.
  2. Relative rankings. For example, knowing that in English, grain < pebble < rock < boulder

Maybe these kinds of things will come with time, but Iā€™m the kind of person more comfortable explicitly knowing and verifying. I feel uncertain if I cannot effectively enumerate what I understand and do not understand.

Perfect, I did not know about this yet, Iā€™ve avoided user scripts so far. I relish a chance to practice listening, Iā€™ll have to give it a whirl. Whether I like it or not, Iā€™m a heavy auditory learner. Personal story divergenceā€¦

I was working once, coding away, when one of my co-workers came up to me to discuss something. I gave him my attention for a moment, turned back to finish up my typing, while he proceeded to explain a scenario and asked his questions. I was split brain at the time. When I then turned to him, and give him my full focus, he asked me what I was doing. I didnā€™t know what he meant. He said, are you repeating what back I just said? I hadnā€™t realized, but I unconsciously queued up his few sentences in my mind, and started to sub-verbally speak them back to myself. I agreed with him, yeah I guess I was, thatā€™s how I re-analyze things to squeeze out full comprehension and extract precise logical structure.

That was one of the most epiphanous days in my adult life, unfortunate it wasnā€™t sooner. Iā€™m forever grateful for having worked with that guy, he was exceedingly observant and communicative.

I already use Kaniwani. It would be great when it can integrate listening.

1 Like

This? Wanikani Reorder Ultimate [old version, not working]

I donā€™t currently use it myself.

1 Like

Great thanks you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, seems Iā€™m one of the few slow learners :sweat_smile: @level 5

I do ten new lessons every day, but only if they donā€™t get my apprentice items over 100. Most of the time my apprentice items are around 60-80. If there are some items I have trouble remembering correct and get them wrong all the time I even stop doing new lessons until I get those items in my head.

Yes, this takes time but if I do more than ten lessons every day I have trouble remembering all items correctly. There are some exceptions - if I get easy items I will do 15 lessons that day. (e.g. last time there were the items for sunlight, moonlight, lightyearā€¦ they were easy to me because they are so logical :wink: )

I think I need about three weeks to complete one level? But as Iā€™m in no rush I donā€™t really care.

Most days Iā€™m doing reviews three times a day (morning, lunchbreak and evening). On very busy days Iā€™ll do them at least in the morning and evening.

In addition I use Kaniwani once a day/every two days. That really helps me remembering the vocabulary!

I try to squeeze in some writing practice but I donā€™t have much time at the moment. I hope this will get better at the beginning of October, so that I can start over with my Genki studies :relaxed:

1 Like

@ryan-gustafson got it. I also use the timeline script and the override script(only for when I vocalize the right answer, but have stupid fingers :-p)

Whatā€™s the timeline script? Shows when reviews are coming up?

Iā€™m very hesitant to use an override, kinda like Iā€™d rather not take a prescription for opiates from the doctor. If it ever comes to the point I want to toss my computer out the window, I may reconsider. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s better not to, probably, lol. yeah, the timeline script is just like it sounds :slight_smile: It has potential for abuse, too, if youā€™re not careful thoughā€¦ donā€™t look at the kanji in detail in it before reviews (you can click to see specific items, I usually just use the color coded bars) or use it to review. I just use it to know when the new kanji or radicals are coming so I can get them right away :slight_smile:

I think Iā€™m a bit fidgety when it comes to something like an override script I can just see myself making up reasons I knew it, but got it wrong example: the cat vomited so i missed typed it, or the cat jumped on my keyboard and pressed the wrong button, or I woke up and saw my cat doing reviews and that sucker got it wrong so Iā€™ll just use my good friend override :sweat_smile:

mostly cat themed reasons

3 Likes

WaniKitty

6 Likes

Hahahahahah yaaassss!!

1 Like

Itā€™s my second time around, last year I got to lvl8, now I started from scratch since not much stuck to my silly brain :wink: And I decided to take it easy.
I open WaniKani several times a day (I made it the default webpage so itā€™s hard to miss) and I do my reviews when I see them. I havenā€™t had more than 40 in a row so itā€™s completely manageable if I open the page at least once a day.
I do my lessons in moderation. I open them once or twice a day and I do as many as feels light and easy (5ā€“10 usually). If I start feeling like any new item is difficult to remember during the after lesson quiz, I just donā€™t do more lessons. I let my brain rest a bit :slight_smile: .

Oh, and this time I donā€™t use any reordering scripts or anything. Keeping it random! I found that doing easier reviews in the beginning kept me from finishing the batch once I got into vocabulary, especially as I knew it wouldnā€™t affect my leveling up.

I donā€™t care about the speed with which I level up. Iā€™d much rather keep to WaniKani long term rather than burn myself out after three months like I did last time. The first 150+ reviews (which piled up after my first flight to Tokyo, while I was sleeping off the jetlag) killed my mojo.

1 Like

for lessons, I review the new learned kanji one more time in the summary screen after I finished the new lessons. Radicals are normally no problem in general and for new vocabs I go for the trial and error method in the reviews after learning them ( but it works good)
I also do all the new lessons always in one go.

Regarding general speed on wanikaniā€¦ since Iā€™ve resetted my progress from 42->1 I go full throttle for now til at least the 30-40 region if not further

1 Like

I just do my best to really understand and remember the mnemonics before I review them. Right now I have over a 1000 reviews due to vacation modeā€¦or were they that large in number BEFORE vacation modeā€¦hmmā€¦

Anyway, from now on instead of rushing to learn the lessonā€™s kanji, Iā€™ll take my time. Rushing just makes it harder to learn them properly.

1 Like

I have to admit I donā€™t really like the scripts to much I sort of like the way Wanikani is so ya glad iā€™m not the only one :slight_smile:
I have changed up my study a little bit though, now I do lessons and then create anki cards for them its new so iā€™ll let u guys know how its going

PS. i do however use the pitch info script :blush:

fully agree :slight_smile:

I donā€™t use any scripts. Iā€™m currently doing all reviews and lessons as soon as they are available (just finished 116 lessons, ugh) and usually manage to get 100% with some typos here and there. This method allows me to level once every 7 days.
Iā€™m only at lvl 6 but ā€œknowā€ about 350 kanji already from studying kanji according to the grade they are taught in in Japan. A lot of the vocab is new though so thatā€™s great.

At the moment I can remember vocab quite easily but sometimes when Iā€™m unsure of how to use the word in a sentence I take some extra time. I also take some time to physically write down the word in both kanji and hiragana quickly on some paper if the word has a strange reading.
I just did č”Œććƒ»ć„ćć€ č”Œććƒ»ć‚†ćć€ č”Œć†ćƒ»ćŠć“ćŖ恆 for example.

Also just want to mention that when kanji that I donā€™t know star to appear I am going to set time aside to physically write them down as well since I enjoy being able to.

Have a good evening, day or morning depending on your time zone x

1 Like

Oh sorry, alsoā€¦

I saw some people somewhere mentioning the frustration of inputting the kanji meaning for identical radicals when doing reviews so I have already started to add the kanji meanings as synonyms to unlocked radicals that are kanji on their own just to save myself the trouble in the future.

Ex: Radical 十 is cross and Kanji 十 is ten which almost had my radical go down to apprentice when I was about to answer ā€œtenā€.

Just a tip x

1 Like

When I level up, I generally use Reorder to do my radicals first (unless my apprentice items are over 100). Iā€™ve gotten really good at remembering my radicals, so doing those is a breezeā€¦ Then I do my kanji in groups (I have my lesson batches set at 10) until Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve got each group down. After that, I just breeze through my vocab since itā€™s mostly gonna be jukugo readings.
I also use Timeline to see if thereā€™s going to be a huge batch of reviews soon after my lessons, so if I have 40 or so four hours after a lessons, Iā€™ll wait an hour or two.

2 Likes

Iā€™m trying to go through the levels as fast as I can (which usually means opening WK two to three times a day). But Iā€™m paying close attention to the mnemonics, even with the Kanji I already knew, since some of them are reused in future lessons. Even if I got the review right but forgot the mnemonics I reread them.

Before WK I spent a long time trying to memorize lists of kanji and practicing writing them over and over again. The result was that I got a strong foundation on stroke order, but the kanji didnā€™t stick.

The mnemonics are helping a lot, the silly stories involving kanji and radicals are fairly easy to recall and I havenā€™t had any serious problem so far.

1 Like