What is the most embarrassing mistake you have made in spoken Japanese?

So, this is possibly my favourite thread of all time!!!

also prompted me to search うんこ on jisho.

scrolled down a bit and saw this -

うんこ製造機 -

Noun

1. person who does not contribute anything to society; poop-producing machine​

brilliant

12 Likes

At school in Japan we were meeting some students from a local college. The student I was talking to said they were studying economics. I was horrible at economics class, so I wanted to say I think economics is difficult… but I said the wrong word, and said I think economics is boring. The student looked kind of sad that I was not interested in their major :fearful: I still feel bad about it 4 years later.

経済は難しいと思います (けいざいはむずかしいとおもいます)
経済はつまらないと思います。

13 Likes

I quite like the idea of the weather being difficult ! kinda works :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t know how we’re supposed to follow OP, but I was attending a tea ceremony in Kyoto and someone complimented my very bad Japanese.

I intended to reply with いいぇ、僕は日本語が下手です。

Instead I said, 僕は日本語が上手です。

Obviously the wires got crossed in my head.

I cringe thinking about it, because my Japanese is definitely definitely not 上手

15 Likes

I accidentally told my host mother I wasn’t able to visit her because I became a hospital instead of getting sick. She took it as I had been admitted to a hospital and started freaking out immediately.院 vs. 気 is a very subtle, but important difference.

20 Likes

This is a pretty reasonable interpretation, to be honest.

If a foreign exchange student said in English, “So sorry, I am hospital” I would think that too.

13 Likes

Perhaps you already know this, but when you’re (or someone else is) coming down with something, saying “病気” isn’t the word to use. It implies that someone has a serious, most likely untreatable, problem with their body or mental health. Unfortunately, this word is often translated as “sick” rather than “infirm”

if you do know about this, sorry. I learned about this a while back and was corrected when referring to someone who had the cold as 病気. So that would also explain such a strong reaction from your host mother. For those who are curious, you should probably say 風邪かぜいている (have a cold), インフルエンザにかかっている (have the flu), 体調たいちょうい (not feeling well)

22 Likes

@Daisen I don’t fault her for it at all. I caught myself pretty quickly realizing my mistake. It was embarrassing though to say the least having said I had become a hospital rather than had gotten sick.

@LucasDesu Did not know that. Another shortfall of Genki. I usually said ちょっと 病気になった to downplay it a bit, but most likely that was incorrect as well with what you are saying. If only it had been a cold…

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of that before! That gives a deeper meaning to the novel I’ve been trying to read though, noice.
Thanks for sharing! (even if it wasn’t addressed to me, I’m just hijacking)

3 Likes

It’s not just Genki. I’ve found that many resources use it as though it means “get sick” in English.
In fact, as I was looking up the link in my previous post, I wanted to use ejje.weblio because it’s a English-Japanese dictionary, they had this sentence under 病気.
食べ過ぎて病気になる → “make oneself ill by eating too much 《candy》 [too many 《cakes》]”

This gives a really inaccurate use to learners especially when the Japanese-Japanese dictionary defines it differently. It’s just a good practice to always understand that one-to-one translations aren’t always as accurate as one would want.:wink:

8 Likes

Not super bad just a lil embarrassing:
instead of
私の猫はふとった。
I said
私の猫はふとんだ。
I realized what I had said and laughed while miming throwing a cat like a basket ball…

8 Likes

… That recovery sounds worse than the original error.

5 Likes

I think I’m missing something. What’s the connection between saying your cat is a futon and shooting a basketball.

8 Likes

no futonda like “flying away”

1 Like

Maybe a little? It sounds exactly like “is a futon” though.

2 Likes

It’s a known pun:
ふとんがふとんだ

1 Like

Isn’t it ふとんがふっとんだ?

吹っ飛ぶ (ふっとぶ) is a verb, but ふとぶ isn’t.

4 Likes

probably, I’ve only heard it said and I’m really too tired to be trying to be funny in Japanese

1 Like

I mentioned my friend who has a disability as “不死身” ふじみ (imortal) instead of “不自由” ふじゆう (disability).

19 Likes

Well it is not really embarassing but I personally was still annoyed by it… I met someone and wanted to tell that I went to Japan 2 years ago instead I said 2000 years ago…

二年前
二千年前

I got a weird look but they could laugh about it like me.

And a other classic one to mix up やさい and やすい … one time I said … “やすいはおいしい” … Instead of this vegetable are delicous.

7 Likes