What do you use after WaniKani?

A very good idea. Definitely would second this.

Although I’m not even close to level 60 (ha…ha…ha… T.T), I did notice that the overall rinse & repeat of WaniKani + Anki + grammar is fairly tiring in the long-term and not much fun, unless the textbook has lots of reading materials (which Tobira does, thankfully :slight_smile: )

You definitely can delve into resources which involve more glancing than typing, but at least some grammar and kanji is needed for the process not to give you an aneurysm as @roym3456 mentioned.
Can’t say whether level 10 is too early or not, but around level 20 I noticed I knew enough kanji to navigate simple texts.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s pretty much what I was doing before, during, and after WK too. lol

It’s the eternal student dilemma. Gotta jump into the deep end at some point.

I’m probably closer to @roym3456 ’s mindset on this. I mean, I’ve been adding words to a list but I never actually go back and study them. :joy:

But I did shortcut grammar for the most part. I read through the N5/N4 stuff in one sitting and then just ran with it.

Yeah, that’s the danger. After I hit 60 I thought I’d have all this time to keep reading, but that hasn’t been the case. I’m still watching and reading but it’s the same amount as before.

It’s really hard to get that self discipline.

3 Likes

I reckon when I’m level 60 and Anki my deck becomes rarer I’ll still use Yomichan for a while

Lmao, yeah I think I may be in the minority. I hear people talking about how they can’t wait to be done with srs and im over here adding the 47th way to say “suddenly” that I’ve come across looking like

Honestly, once I move into my next job next month and have more free time, I might even start doing like 30+ new cards a day since I feel like at this point its really easy to learn new words anyways.

5 Likes

Many people are adding another SRS app to learn vocab with sentence cards, so I thought, why not skip vocab and learn directly outside so as not to bother with hundreds of vocab reviews on WK? I wish I had known this mind-blowing knowledge on level 1. So how do I suspend or delete vocab on WK?

After WK, I would learn more vocabs. Even if you learn grammar, grammar points are vocabs.

only 1) torii.srs to supplement wanikani vocab- wanikani teaches you around 4300+ common words and in my experience with french and eng- you need to know around 10-12k to really call yourself fluent=98%+comprehension across all medias with the exception of literature.

as soon as I reach 5k words il probably discard torii and going to fully immerse with the yomichan+anki combo on sites like animelon.

i allready covered n5-4 grammar on youtube with tokiniandy. i didn’t drill it-just got aware of diffirent grammar points

Level 60 wasn’t really an inflection point for me. I’d already started reading along with bookclubs and studying grammar around level 20. Now most of my time is spent reading.

I had been using bunpro and a custom vocab deck of words I’d encountered while reading, but fell off the wagon on those decks and don’t particularly feel like I need to go back to them now.

I read, collecting unfamiliar words in a spreadsheet in case I want to build a deck out of them later (I probably won’t), and looking up unfamiliar grammar as I go.

2 Likes

I don’t think i’ll ever stop using (something like) Yomichan or Anki.
Okay, maybe i’ll stop using Anki once my Japanese skills are as good as my English skills, but that should still take many years, haha.

3 Likes

Currently I’ll either watch Netflix anime with Japanese subtitles (or just Terrace House). I’ve been using AnkiApp for music lyrics or manga I’ve been reading.

I agree about studying grammar. I completely agree with the perspective that you’ll only really internalize it by immersion, but i feel this point is often exaggerated and loses the perspective that you need to understand what’s being said first of all, and the grammar is often not obvious at all. You can either hear it 100 times until you learn it by context, or study it first and then keep internalizing it the next 100 times you hear it, while already having the basic meaning in mind.

Just keep it up, you’ll get there! When i was around level 30, reading seemed so hard to me as well. It felt like i had to look up everything i encountered, so much was new.
But at some point, it changes, almost without you noticing. I’m now breezing through Final Fantasy 7, a game with tons of dialogue that seemed very hard to me initially, and that’s not recommended for beginners. I’m not even sure how i got there. You too would probably have loved where you are now some time ago, it’s just hard to appreciate your progress once you’re there.

I’m not sure my way is the best for others, but i just powered through WK while doing a bit of grammar (Bunpro) on the side, and collecting some very frequent vocab in Anki. Yes, it was a bit of a chore, but i felt it was very efficient and would pay off later. Then when I reached level 60, i increased my pace on Bunpro and Anki and only started reading heavily then. By that time it already felt so much easier. Somehow i felt that around level 30 or 40 on WK, i’ll just encounter kanji (and grammar) i haven’t learned yet regularly, so i may as well just finish WK first and study more grammar. Though i did enjoy some easier Mangas (Yotsuba) and video games beforehand. It just felt so much easier and more free as to what i can study later on.

What you can also do is just read extensively, enjoy japanese media without looking up everything. It’ll help more than you think, and be more fun.
Well, those are just my spontaneous thoughts, hope it helps somehow ^^
Learning Japanese is a marathon, not a sprint.

3 Likes

It very much depends on your goal, but if you’re looking to communicate in Japanese, I recommend HelloTalk or a similar app. You chat with native speakers learning your native language. Every time I log on, I see someone requesting to voice chat (not a dm, just in general). There are dms and public posts. On public posts you can post your own writing and correct others and in turn receive corrections as well. Dms are what you want to make of them or you can voice chat. If you’re not located in Japan, it may help to get premium since posts are shown by country it seems and premium lets you interact more internationally. A vpn might work or may be against the terms though.

1 Like

I recently found out I’m the opposite! :no_mouth: The typing does help a bit but ever since I switched my immersion deck to non-input, the recall for me is faster, because I’m not spending time breaking it into the kanjis but taking them at face value off the bat.

Not level 60 yet but I’d tack on to immersion as a lot of people here have. One can keep raking through grammar and kanji in a structural, WK-like environment until the cows come home but there’s nothing better than getting to know them in the wild. Honestly, start this long before 60.

2 Likes

You’re likely just not able to see your own progress. Its in our nature as learners to really focus in on what we don’t know yet, and at the beginning (and middle…and end kinda lol) theres a lot of stuff we don’t know. With that being the case, its hard to see how far we have come because when you do know something, its not like you pay it any attention…you just knew it.

I never really started off with stuff made to be easier/for learners and kinda dived into r18 VNs and light novels. But, from my experience I felt like I was actually getting better at reading around my 3rd book. I noticed a lot of improvement from my first book, dont get me wrong, but it was more like me getting closer to the surface of water rather than feeling like I had broken the surface and finally could breathe, yknow. This took place maybe 4 months after getting level 60 and being like n3 level and I studied roughly 4 hours on average per day, so mah…500 hours?

Keep on trucking along and you’ll look back one day and be surprised how far you’ve come. Focus on just understanding the text and learning everything you can from it and you’ll do great. Best of luck with the reading, my man.

3 Likes

how does this ankiapp for music lyrics work?

I like for example l’arc en ciel, is it possible to have lyrics for all their songs? I would like to finally try to understand what they are saying :smiley:

oh gosh, I’m sorry for not replying!!!

Yeah I usually look up a song title along with 歌詞 in google, and then I find the lyrics in Japanese.

Usually I listen to the song several times, while reading the lyrics. Then words I don’t know/or sentences I have trouble with, I look them up using Jisho.org or ichi.moe to break the sentences down. Then I put em in the ankiapp. Ankiapp basically encourages the same SRS methodology to vocab that Wanikani does for Kanji.

3 Likes

Yomichan/Anki/ShareX is the meta right now tbh.

2 Likes

斤 body spray

:sunglasses:

Yeah, when it comes down to it Yomichan and Anki are really all you need to learn the language and you’ll probably end up learning faster than everyone who doesn’t use those anyways if you do it right. I don’t use sharex as much because 99% of the time I’m reading light novels so theres nothing to capture and I have a script for anime that automatically exports the audio and image for whatever subtitle line I want. It is helpful though when I am SRSing names of stuff like food and fish so I can see what it is since in a lot of cases its not something I even knew existed.

When I reached Level 54 Koichi asks what your plans are after you’re done and I’m like… “uhhhhhhh…” I’m so scared. I tried slowing down on the levels to compensate, but I already watched entire seasons of…one…two…three…four different japanese adult shows…crap… in under a month while I did less WaniKani and that was pretty lame. Bunpro isn’t all too interesting so I don’t like doing my Reviews. I feel like a stubborn kid for having so little interest in anything other than WaniKani, but I have to really find other outlets for my Japanese that I can use with the same level of intensity. I did a level every 7 days and if I don’t challenge myself I’ll end up doing somethign stupid like…investing the same level of energy in a new language instead. (and I already have five)

Part of it is that Wanikani takes no real effort. Use Wanikani, then use Japanese media to solidify what you learn.

Grammar is much harder, and I always get bored when I apply the same methods I’ve learned from Wanikani to Bunpro.